Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2008, 12:36 PM   #1
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Help Choosing: BlackBerry Curve from Rogers

My weekly plea for help, and this time it's deciding what phone to choose. Have a friend who can get the BlackBerry Curve for $150 or the BlackBerry Pearl for $100 (both would be locked so I'd have to unlock it). Anyway, I don't care much for the Pearl, but the Curve is pretty nice. Anyone have the Curve and what are the pros/cons of it? I have to call up Rogers and see if they'll give me a sweet 1 or 2 year plan. Related to this, anyone care to share what plan they have with Rogers? Looking to get some data included in the monthly fee without going over the $40/month mark (any advice for talking to Rogers retention - I'm currently with Telus though)?
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 04:31 PM   #2
metal_geek
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I look after the blackberrys for our company, the people with the curve are very happy. The few people with the Pearl make fun of the people with the curves Very mac v. pc ish

The full keyboard curve is not really an issue vs the pearl 2 letters per key qwerty keybaord. As a matter of fact, take in the larger keys, and predictive text on the pearl, and some people actually type faster on it then the curve. The bigger screen on the Curve is the real kicker, less scrolling while reading, and more message on the screen at one time.

The curve's camera is nicer then the pearls and it plays audio via a regular 3.5mm headset or stereo bluetooth where as pearl does 2.5mm custom jack and mono bluetooth at the moment, that may change shortly.

The pearl is definatly a nicer form factor from an telephone perspective, feels better, and you can type easier with 1 hand then you can on the curve. Thats a nice feature for reading CP on the deerfoot or the 401.... The 8310 with the GPS is fun to play with on the highway too...

Blackberrys' not gonna be cheap, as in with data plan and voice for sub 40.00 not gonna happen. I think the smallest data plan is the 7mb for 25.00 a month now, and whatever voice package you can get, which will likely be 35.00 ish... so your looking at 60.00 Minimum I'd say... I'm not a rogers rep, but I likey go though as many phones a week as some of them do....

Data is the killer, go over your 7mb and you're looking a 5 or 7 dollar a Mb overage charges, so you'll have to be careful. Good luck with your phone, personally I like the pearl to use, but the curve from a techno gizmo point..
________
Cheap boyi grenade electric airsoft rifle

Last edited by metal_geek; 05-05-2011 at 11:57 PM.
metal_geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 05:41 AM   #3
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal_geek View Post
I look after the blackberrys for our company, the people with the curve are very happy. The few people with the Pearl make fun of the people with the curves Very mac v. pc ish

The full keyboard curve is not really an issue vs the pearl 2 letters per key qwerty keybaord. As a matter of fact, take in the larger keys, and predictive text on the pearl, and some people actually type faster on it then the curve. The bigger screen on the Curve is the real kicker, less scrolling while reading, and more message on the screen at one time.

The curve's camera is nicer then the pearls and it plays audio via a regular 3.5mm headset or stereo bluetooth where as pearl does 2.5mm custom jack and mono bluetooth at the moment, that may change shortly.

The pearl is definatly a nicer form factor from an telephone perspective, feels better, and you can type easier with 1 hand then you can on the curve. Thats a nice feature for reading CP on the deerfoot or the 401.... The 8310 with the GPS is fun to play with on the highway too...

Blackberrys' not gonna be cheap, as in with data plan and voice for sub 40.00 not gonna happen. I think the smallest data plan is the 7mb for 25.00 a month now, and whatever voice package you can get, which will likely be 35.00 ish... so your looking at 60.00 Minimum I'd say... I'm not a rogers rep, but I likey go though as many phones a week as some of them do....

Data is the killer, go over your 7mb and you're looking a 5 or 7 dollar a Mb overage charges, so you'll have to be careful. Good luck with your phone, personally I like the pearl to use, but the curve from a techno gizmo point..

Wicked. Thanks a lot buddy. I'm actually leaning heavily toward the Curve, just because of it's keyboard, and more "Blackberry" like. Right now I'm just trying to find a deal to go along with it so that I'll make use of the damn thing.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote