Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-20-2019, 03:21 PM   #101
White Out 403
Franchise Player
 
White Out 403's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Where did you see this deal? I’ve looked everywhere!
Costco Okotoks, but that was a couple weeks ago I think. The Vizio P 2018 series is slowly being phased out
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorch View Post
Looking forward to the post season when we celebrate the 30th anniversary
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 03:46 PM   #102
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant
 
PepsiFree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
Costco Okotoks, but that was a couple weeks ago I think. The Vizio P 2018 series is slowly being phased out
Damn, that’s almost too far to risk it not being there.

I’m between a Vizio P55, Sony x900f, and TCL 6. That would have made my decision very easy.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 10:47 PM   #103
Anduril
Franchise Player
 
Anduril's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
Which series, 6 or 4?
I bought the same one assuming it was part of the Prime Day sale. Series 4 for $319.
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 12:13 AM   #104
White Out 403
Franchise Player
 
White Out 403's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Damn, that’s almost too far to risk it not being there.

I’m between a Vizio P55, Sony x900f, and TCL 6. That would have made my decision very easy.
Just call a few Costco's see who has one left.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorch View Post
Looking forward to the post season when we celebrate the 30th anniversary
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 05:25 PM   #105
rubecube
Franchise Player
 
rubecube's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Victoria
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
I have three plasmas, newest being 2013, and yeah, same boat. Brightness aside, they're just the best.



I did have to move with them. I just put them on their stands and surrounded them with pillows.
Yeah, I think I wrapped mine in horse blankets last time I moved. I did notice there's a tiny bit of burn-in on mine but it's only noticeable if it's on a pure white background and you know where to look for it. And really, with the amount of games I play, having only a little bit after 6.5 years of heavy use is acceptable.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 05:40 PM   #106
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player
 
CorsiHockeyLeague's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Exp:
Default

My G25 got some but the anti-burn in bar seemed to pretty much deal with it. I've been careful to avoid it on the others. The only downside is they're pretty useless as far as smsrt features now, but a fire stick fixes that.
__________________
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 09:55 AM   #107
woob
First Line Centre
 
woob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Exp:
Default

I remember when I first got my plasma, I played quite a lot of Forza and didn't know about plasmas and burn ins. I had a couple days where I was sure I had ruined my brand new TV and was quite upset with myself. Thankfully it went away.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 06:44 PM   #108
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day
 
jayswin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Exp:
Default

Has anyone had experience with or know anyone who's bought "certified open box/refurbished TV's off BestBuy.ca? Looks they are endorsed by the geek squad.

My first intuition is to steer clear and just get something new, but there's some intrigue in it being supported by a major electronics outlet along with a 1 year warranty. There's some pretty heavy discounts in there and they all claim to be basically new condition.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 06:52 PM   #109
Diemenz
First Line Centre
 
Diemenz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Exp:
Default

I always thought the “refurbished in store” were display models but I could be wrong. I guess it would depend on the price and the TV. With great TVs like P series Vizios and TCL 6 series being so cheap the refurbished would have to really catch my eye to make me interested.
__________________
PSN: Diemenz
Diemenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 06:54 PM   #110
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day
 
jayswin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Exp:
Default

Yeah, actually I was eyeing the 65" TCL 6 series. $1200 on for $999 right now, but figured I'd wait until black Friday. That TCL is rated pretty highly by a few sources online.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 06:56 PM   #111
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day
 
jayswin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Exp:
Default

I also noticed openbox.ca has the Visio P65 65" TV for $1099. I this the one everyone on CP was racing about at Costco this past year?
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 06:57 PM   #112
Fuzz
Franchise Player
 
Fuzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Exp:
Default

I'd be wary. I'd assume they are open box returns, that they basically make sure everything is in the box, make sure they turn on, and then repackage. Why were they returned? Who knows, maybe they didn't want it. Maybe it has some stuck pixels. Maybe it buzzes, or has a broken input. It's possible they put them through proper testing, but it's Best Buy, and if they are super cheap they rpobably don't spend much time on them. I guess it depends what the return policy is, and if you are OK with the hassle.
__________________
Air Canada - We're not happy until you're not happy.
Telus - Almost as bad as Winnipeg.
Calgary Roads Dept - Ya, we'll get to that.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2019, 06:58 PM   #113
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day
 
jayswin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemenz View Post
I always thought the “refurbished in store” were display models but I could be wrong. I guess it would depend on the price and the TV. With great TVs like P series Vizios and TCL 6 series being so cheap the refurbished would have to really catch my eye to make me interested.
So in your opinion with a bit of a budget it's probably better to go with high end Visio/TCL over more standard brand names in the same price range? (Samsung etc).
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 06:59 PM   #114
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day
 
jayswin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I'd be wary. I'd assume they are open box returns, that they basically make sure everything is in the box, make sure they turn on, and then repackage. Why were they returned? Who knows, maybe they didn't want it. Maybe it has some stuck pixels. Maybe it buzzes, or has a broken input. It's possible they put them through proper testing, but it's Best Buy, and if they are super cheap they rpobably don't spend much time on them. I guess it depends what the return policy is, and if you are OK with the hassle.
That's the thing, I'm a big piece of mind guy and really didn't want the hassle, so figured I'd post on CP and let the crowd talk me out of it, lol.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 07:01 PM   #115
Fuzz
Franchise Player
 
Fuzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Yeah, actually I was eyeing the 65" TCL 6 series. $1200 on for $999 right now, but figured I'd wait until black Friday. That TCL is rated pretty highly by a few sources online.
Amazon has it for $1049, when a warehouse deal shows up it is as low as $900.


https://www.amazon.ca/TCL-65R617-CA-...1273890&sr=8-4
__________________
Air Canada - We're not happy until you're not happy.
Telus - Almost as bad as Winnipeg.
Calgary Roads Dept - Ya, we'll get to that.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2019, 07:06 PM   #116
Diemenz
First Line Centre
 
Diemenz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
So in your opinion with a bit of a budget it's probably better to go with high end Visio/TCL over more standard brand names in the same price range? (Samsung etc).
Yes.

HDR Brightness and black levels is what Vizio and TCL do well and that is way more noticeable to the content I consume. I have 3 Vizio’s and would not change my mind on any of them. I would however change my mind on the bedroom LG I bought because of poor black levels.
__________________
PSN: Diemenz
Diemenz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Diemenz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2019, 10:13 AM   #117
DoubleF
First Line Centre
 
DoubleF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Has anyone had experience with or know anyone who's bought "certified open box/refurbished TV's off BestBuy.ca? Looks they are endorsed by the geek squad.

My first intuition is to steer clear and just get something new, but there's some intrigue in it being supported by a major electronics outlet along with a 1 year warranty. There's some pretty heavy discounts in there and they all claim to be basically new condition.
IMO, open box/display models are no problem. Refurb though, that's not something I would roll the dice on. Refurbs have awful warranty restrictions that IMO are not worth it and it's easy for a tech to figure out whether a unit is a refurb.

Open box and display units though? I love those and target those as much as possible. They're just the normal units with a damn nice discount because it's not pristine from the manufacturer. You're going to open and use it anyways. You get a head start to see if any issues arise and thus are better situated to use the manufacturer's warranty if you unlucky with the unit you end up with. You essentially can get a repair to new/replacement situation before the typical "time to replace the tv" phase. This essentially potentially extends the life of the TV for a slightly longer duration and you get a discount on a ubiquitous unit in the product line.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 10:23 AM   #118
MrCallahan
Crash and Bang Winger
 
MrCallahan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
IMO, open box/display models are no problem. Refurb though, that's not something I would roll the dice on. Refurbs have awful warranty restrictions that IMO are not worth it and it's easy for a tech to figure out whether a unit is a refurb.

Open box and display units though? I love those and target those as much as possible. They're just the normal units with a damn nice discount because it's not pristine from the manufacturer. You're going to open and use it anyways. You get a head start to see if any issues arise and thus are better situated to use the manufacturer's warranty if you unlucky with the unit you end up with. You essentially can get a repair to new/replacement situation before the typical "time to replace the tv" phase. This essentially potentially extends the life of the TV for a slightly longer duration and you get a discount on a ubiquitous unit in the product line.
I have a different view on the refurb stuff lately. Chances are, if there's a refurb, there was a defect in the manufacturing process (bad run of parts, error in certain batch). So even if you buy new, you could still be subject to that same defect. A refurb is generally "re-certified" by the manufacturer as well, so it could be considered new again.

I bought my TV from these guys:
https://www.tvoutlet.ca

have never had a problem with it, they provide warranty as well (can't vouch for it, since I haven't had to use it). But it saved me a ton of money buying through here! My TV was $4000 when it first launched, I bought a refurb at the end of the year when new models were just starting to come out, and I was able to snag one for $1500. (check out the Samsung QLED models on there, good prices)
MrCallahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 03:40 PM   #119
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day
 
jayswin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Exp:
Default

Pretty good prices in there, did they ship to Calgary for free?
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 03:49 PM   #120
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day
 
jayswin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Exp:
Default

Phoned them and no, it looks like about $150 on a 65". Still some good deals, though. That Samsung QLED at $1249 is about $2000 at best buy.

But you add shipping and possible black Friday deals at best buy and it may be right around the same. Still though, I'll keep them bookmarked.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:44 AM.

Calgary Flames
2019-20




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Calgarypuck 2016