Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2010, 09:04 AM   #21
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I don't know if its me, but there just seems to be a huge upswing in domestic violence lately.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 09:15 AM   #22
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

This disgusting? No, people can be far worse than this...

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 09:38 AM   #23
Regorium
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackpot_Smooth View Post
...Plus she's still a selfish, idiotic child that thinks things will be the same after having a baby.
All 18 year olds are like this.

Too bad she was too dumb to understand the consequences of having a child, and should've gotten an abortion if she wasn't ready.
Regorium is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Regorium For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2010, 09:52 AM   #24
Art Vandelay
First Line Centre

Exp:

Not willing to lynch the mom just yet. Sure, having unprotected sex at 17/18 isn't the smartest thing, but for all we know this could have been her first night out since the baby arrived. I know that my wife and i would have jumped at the chance to go out if someone we trusted was willing to look after the baby for a night.

I wonder who else was in the house?

Anyways it's a sad situation all around. I hope whoever is responsible never tastes freedom again.
Art Vandelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 09:59 AM   #25
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
Not willing to lynch the mom just yet. Sure, having unprotected sex at 17/18 isn't the smartest thing, but for all we know this could have been her first night out since the baby arrived. I know that my wife and i would have jumped at the chance to go out if someone we trusted was willing to look after the baby for a night.

I wonder who else was in the house?

Anyways it's a sad situation all around. I hope whoever is responsible never tastes freedom again.
Unfortunately, knowing Canadian lows, he/she will be out in less then 10 years...
Huntingwhale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 10:13 AM   #26
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
This disgusting? No, people can be far worse than this...
Sadly this is very true.

Having a baby is a giant, life-altering experience ... throw some depression into the mix and I can't imagine how hard it would be. Not making excuses for anybody (we don't know enough about the case to say much), just saying that depression + new baby would be a nightmare.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 10:45 AM   #27
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
just saying that depression + new baby would be a nightmare.
We have a good friend that went through postpartum depression. It was tough enough for her to handle in her mid to late twenties, let alone at an (immature?) barely 18.

However, I think postpartum depression usually results in lack of baby interaction, not blunt force trauma...
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 11:09 AM   #28
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse View Post
We have a good friend that went through postpartum depression. It was tough enough for her to handle in her mid to late twenties, let alone at an (immature?) barely 18.

However, I think postpartum depression usually results in lack of baby interaction, not blunt force trauma...

You are correct, but that's also the same as saying standard depression usually results in spending all day in bed, not suicide. Unfortunately in extreme cases it does happen.

I understand some events seem more likely than others, but has it even been confirmed that the mother did anything at all?
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 11:19 AM   #29
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I don't know if its me, but there just seems to be a huge upswing in domestic violence lately.
I don't disagree, but the sad part is that Alberta is regularly the leading province in domestic violence, by a fair margin. That is what is really brutal.

A lot of people in Calgary are afraid of being assaulted or murdered by a stranger, when you have a way better chance of it happening from someone you know.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 11:45 AM   #30
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

it's a shame that you have to get a licence to drive and an education for a job, but any yutz can become a parent.

- Surferguy
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 11:53 AM   #31
SilverGS
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Tough situation but there are many teenage mothers with family support that make it through. Looks even worse that she went out partying the night before when her son is less than a month old old.
SilverGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 12:50 PM   #32
puckluck
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

That's pretty pathetic. I saw a girl yesterday that was no older than 15 at the bus stop that looked about 8 months pregnant. Makes me sick how that baby is going to be raised by a kid.
puckluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 01:09 PM   #33
SilverGS
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

That's the thing. With all our luxuries and the way society is nowadays it allows our "kids" to stay that way a lot longer then they used to. Being pregnant and having a family in your teens used to be a normal thing. People had to grow up and be responsible at a much earlier age then they need to these days. It used to be no probablem when survival was the main goal. Now it's more missing as few bar days as you can after having a kid.
SilverGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 01:28 PM   #34
taffeyb
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Not unlike the Casey Anthony case down in the states. They posted a picture and mom and child on the Calgary Herald website. Didn't break my stereotype of what I was expecting.
taffeyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 07:19 PM   #35
Art Vandelay
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
CALGARY - Homicide detectives have arrested an 18-year-old mother in the slaying of her three-week-old baby, the Herald has confirmed.

Shelby Herchak is being interviewed by homicide detectives after being arrested today, sources say.

Her newborn baby boy, Daniel, was 26 days old when he was rushed to hospital from the family's Lakeview home Aug. 9.

An autopsy confirmed the infant died of blunt-force trauma.

The baby's biological father, who police say is estranged from Herchak, is not a suspect.

Part of the police investigation centres around Herchak's former Facebook page, where she was posting about meeting friends at a Macleod Trail nightclub and suffering hangovers.

The case is Calgary's 10th homicide of 2010.
Update from Calgary Herald
Art Vandelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 08:01 PM   #36
Peanut
First Line Centre

Exp:

So sad.
Peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 08:03 PM   #37
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

there was one report earlier that her friends were posting things on FB about her being a great mom....ugh!!!!
Northendzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 08:05 PM   #38
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

This just in:
http://www.calgaryherald.com/Arrest+...478/story.html

Considering the 'myspace' profile pic of her and the kid, the fact that she continued clubbing doesn't surprise me...
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 08:55 PM   #39
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

You can tell shes an idiot by the way shes holding the baby. Especially in the picture where shes holding the kid out to her dog. Poor kid didnt have much of a chance. Considering she was still living at home, its shame her parents didnt step up before he died.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 07:20 AM   #40
Hevishot
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default Hookers always gotta work

She is definately a prime canadate for sterilization. People that stupid should not be breeding chances are if she is not put away for a long peroid of time she will breed again endangering another life. Its definately sad that any moron can have a child and have complete disregard for their baby even before the kids dried off.