Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-29-2020, 07:15 PM   #21
station
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
Also bear in mind a fully sound deadened room sounds awful for music
You may be confusing sound proofing with acoustic treatment. Sound proofing is just preventing sound from escaping a room which sounds like OP’s goal. Acoustic treatment is how the sound behaves within the room in which case you are correct, overly ‘dead’ rooms generally sound quite bad.

OP what is the purpose of the booth and why does it need to be modular? If it’s for music you likely only need about 60db of actual reduction. You will still need some heavy mass to achieve that though, especially if you have any sound sources producing low frequencies. Something like a vocal booth would be easier. FWIW I’ve built two recording studios in the past and I’m currently working on a new one here in BC so I may be able to help.
station is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to station For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2020, 07:39 PM   #22
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traditional_Ale View Post
Awesome post.

81MC, are you trying to contain the sound of drums?
Yes. For the sake of space (I want to be able to fit it in any regularly sized living or commercial space) it will have internal dimensions of 6x6x6. Literally nothing more than an isolated and treated cube that fits me and my setup. TV mounted of course to catch the flames.

I pretty much know (I think) the scope of work materials sorted out and expect to come out under 2K depending on what I do for a door and lighting and finishing.
I ask specifically about the joint/seam concern because that is the only real uncertainty I have regarding the construction.

It likely won’t be finished until fall, given me other priorities coming up, so I have tons of time bargain hunt. Some of the commercial systems are very nice...until you see their price points. And I’d rather be underwhelmed with my own job than someone else’s.
Old 01-29-2020, 07:52 PM   #23
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

@station: it needs to be modular due to my living situation, now and for the foreseeable future. I have no intention of leaving where I am, but I haven’t been able to play much if at all in a few years, and while I plan on it going in my kitchen or may be remodelled and the booth would take the place of my living or bedroom.
I suppose because it’s just for me I could assemble with nuts and bolts, which I may still do.

Essentially what I’m going for is indeed a vocal booth, but with enough isolation to kill the low of a bass drum and highs of cymbals in a room above or below. If I build it and it turns out it needs a 2nd later of MLV or drywall that’s okay. I’m fairly confident 2 layers of 5/8, 2lb MLV membrane, with r12 in the 4” cavity, built with appropriate framing and floor decoupling will provide at reasonable solution, as long as the joints, door and ventilation is well thought out.
Old 09-05-2022, 10:42 AM   #24
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bump

What did you end up building?

I'm interested in upgrading my home studio from sound-deadening only (good for recording) to sound-proof for benefit of the family. This could range from a sound-proof box for a guitar amp to a vocal booth to a mixing room depending on my ambition and cost.
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 11:37 AM   #25
La Flames Fan
THE Chuck Storm

Exp:

We actually have a used sound booth for sale right now that we used for voiceovers...asking $1,000 or reasonable offer.

61" x 48" x 84"
Sound isolating booth for clean audio recording in any environment. Has an ultra-quiet ventilation system for comfort while recording, cable pass-throughs and a window in the door. Packs as flat sheets with steel corners for structure.