Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

View Poll Results: How would you rate the Flames draft this season?
10 18 6.95%
9 32 12.36%
8 94 36.29%
7 80 30.89%
6 23 8.88%
5 7 2.70%
4 2 0.77%
3 0 0%
2 0 0%
1 3 1.16%
Voters: 259. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-29-2014, 02:51 PM   #121
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Voted 1 because voting or grading drafts this early is a fools game.
MrMastadonFarm proves his intellectual superiority again!

I would like to add, that if Hunter Smith and Mark Jankowski both hit 75% of their potential, these are both massive picks for the Calgary Flames. You are going to have two huge forwards with soft hands and the ability to play at both ends of the ice effectively. These two guys have top six potential, but are going to likely be left in a 3rd line role, where they should both be exceptional! Can you imagine a third line of Ferland, Jankowski and Hunter? Size, scoring and truclence! How does that not give you a massive boner? The future is bright my friends!

Last edited by Lanny_McDonald; 06-29-2014 at 02:54 PM.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 03:26 PM   #122
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I'm just glad that we already have a pretty plentiful and talented group of guys in the system already. So the rounds 2-7 picks don't bother me that much at the end of the day.

I'm a fan of Mattson and Smith, though.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 04:00 PM   #123
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ then you'd think you would know how to spell his name!
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 04:10 PM   #124
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Oh no, I forgot an s.

Grilled.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 11:38 PM   #125
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ring of Fire View Post
I think the player they wanted at 83 was Jake Walman, a defenceman going to Providence next year drafted by the Blues at 82. They only made the trade after that pick.
That really doesn't tell us anything.

Trades for picks are pretty much always completed just before the first pick in the deal is about to come up. Chicago would have also wanted to wait to make sure that the guy they wanted was still available.
Old 06-29-2014, 11:43 PM   #126
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
MrMastadonFarm proves his intellectual superiority again!

I would like to add, that if Hunter Smith and Mark Jankowski both hit 75% of their potential, these are both massive picks for the Calgary Flames. You are going to have two huge forwards with soft hands and the ability to play at both ends of the ice effectively. These two guys have top six potential, but are going to likely be left in a 3rd line role, where they should both be exceptional! Can you imagine a third line of Ferland, Jankowski and Hunter? Size, scoring and truclence! How does that not give you a massive boner? The future is bright my friends!
It's nice to dream but all three have lot to prove before any of them are even NHL regulars yet alone a dominate line.
Hackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 12:09 AM   #127
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm
Voted 1 because voting or grading drafts this early is a fools game.
It isn't a final grade, it's what we think of it now.

I voted an 8. I like the first two picks a lot and the trade for the banger looks good as well.

Two picks are for guys who have already been passed by in other drafts, which is a little sketchy but IIRC Prust was also in that boat and he turned out well. The big Swede defenceman sounds okay but I'm just hoping our quest for size doesn't bite us. We also take a defenceman from the AJHL, so I think we went off the board with some of our picks but I'll trust Button that he knows what he's doing.

Last edited by Vulcan; 06-30-2014 at 12:16 AM.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 01:48 AM   #128
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here is where each of the players were ranked by the various services. TSN only does a top 60 list. Button does his top 100. CSS's final ranking had 210 NA Skaters, 140 Euro Skaters, 30 NA Goalies, and 14 Euro Goalies.

4. Bennett (4th NA Skater) || TSN: 3 | Button: 3 | CSS: 1 (NA Skater)
34. McDonald (1st NA Goalie) || TSN: 53 | Button: 38 | CSS: 2 (NA Goalie)
54. Smith (38th NA Skater) || TSN: 52 | Button: 88 |CSS: 39 (NA Skater)
64. Hickey (46th NA Skater) || TSN: -- | Button: 75 | CSS: 63 (NA Skater)
175. Ollas-Mattsson (31st Euro Skater) || TSN: -- | Button: 42 | CSS: 15 (Euro Skater)
184. Carroll (131st NA Skater) || Unranked

Carroll and Smith were draft eligible previously, but neither were ranked in the top 210 NA Skaters in their previous eligible years.

ISS only makes their top 30 list available to the public. Bennett was #4 on the ISS top 30 (behind Reinhart, Ekblad, and Dal Colle). McDonald was the #2 goalie on the ISS list (behind Demko). All other players drafted by the Flames were not ranked on the ISS top 30.

None of the picks were outrageously off-the-board. Bennett was a no-brainer. McDonald went higher than TSN had him ranked, but right around where Button had him. Smith was the opposite, much higher than Button, but almost identical to TSN and CSS. Hickey might have been slightly high, but not by much. Ollas-Mattsson dropped far for some reason, but the expectations for a late 6th rounder are so low that if he ever plays an NHL game, he's done better than most 6th rounders. Carroll is the only one who wasn't on any board, but like the Swede, if he does anything, it's gravy. With a 7th rounder, there's a good chance that your 2nd, 3rd, and 4th choices for that spot will go completely undrafted and potentially be available for free too.
Old 06-30-2014, 02:33 AM   #129
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

I take it the first ranking (the one in italics) is the player's actual draft position? e.g., Olias-Mattsson was the 31st Euro skater actually taken?
Old 06-30-2014, 02:34 AM   #130
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The fact that the Flames' pick of McDonald sparked a run on goalies kind of tells you that his draft position was fairly prescient by the team. It also speaks to the perceived quality of the second rounder skaters. Other teams were willing to go for a dice roll picking goalie in that round than a skater under the pretense that there wouldn't be a huge difference between skaters available in the 2nd versus 3rd round.
Tinordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 02:58 AM   #131
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinordi View Post
The fact that the Flames' pick of McDonald sparked a run on goalies kind of tells you that his draft position was fairly prescient by the team.
Good point. My guess is that the run on goalies was bound to happen around then. All the good goaltending prospects got snapped up before they picked again at 54, so if they wanted a goalie, it was probably 34 or bust.

Besides, how could the Flames have pick #34 and not use it on a goalie?
Old 06-30-2014, 03:37 AM   #132
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
I take it the first ranking (the one in italics) is the player's actual draft position? e.g., Olias-Mattsson was the 31st Euro skater actually taken?
Correct.
Old 06-30-2014, 03:47 AM   #133
SHOGUN
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Seemed like there were a lot of re-entry draftees that got drafted... I guess that happens in a weak overall draft.
SHOGUN is offline   Reply With Quote