Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2014, 08:51 PM   #21
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

There is an RV show going on right now at the BMO Center. Tons of trailers to choose from with prices ranging from $10k-100k. If I wasn't sure about owning one or just wanted to get ideas I'd definitely head down there
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 04:00 PM   #22
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think this is the right thread, but what do you guys do with the RV antifreeze? Some places online say to just flush it out and let it hit the ground. Seems wrong, although it would be easy! I need to figure this out either today or tomorrow...
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 04:25 PM   #23
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flush it to your holding tank and dispose of it going into your next campground. or make a special trip to the road King.
Old 05-14-2014, 05:12 PM   #24
Mean Mr. Mustard
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemenz View Post
This.

My camping "timeline"
"camping"
Mean Mr. Mustard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mean Mr. Mustard For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2014, 05:16 PM   #25
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

They will cost a lot more then you think. I have a 24 foot C class and its not really a super budget friendly option in a lot of cases.

Driving and carrying your stuff into and out of hotels might be more economical once you factor in:

Insurance+Registration+Oil Changes+Tires+Parts+etc.
If you stay at actual camp grounds. Something with hook ups probably costs 30+ bucks per night.
Gas/Diesel. Not cheap at all. Over 200 every time you fill up.

I like it because I stay in a lot of unserviced (free) areas, so it is nice to have your own toilet and shower where there are no facilities. It's good in that regard but if you are planning on doing things near civilization there are probably cheaper ways to go.

Having a fridge and stove to make your own food is a budget saver but it can be done without a motorhome by using coolers and camp stoves, etc.

Fifth wheels, bumper pull trailers are more practical, but I find the feeling of going on a road trip with some people in a motor home is more enjoyable to me.

Last edited by Oil Stain; 05-14-2014 at 05:19 PM.
Oil Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 06:58 PM   #26
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I don't think this is the right thread, but what do you guys do with the RV antifreeze? Some places online say to just flush it out and let it hit the ground. Seems wrong, although it would be easy! I need to figure this out either today or tomorrow...
I do a flush when I'm filling up my water tanks for the first time. Typically my first camping trip of the season is 3-5 nights so I want my holding tanks empty to start. So I run water through and dump the tanks into the campground's sewer hookups while I'm there. However this year my first trip will be a 2 night trip, so I will just be letting the antifreeze go into my holding tanks.

Please do not dump it onto the ground. Animals could be attracted to the smell, and get sick or even die by ingesting it.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2014, 07:10 PM   #27
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
I do a flush when I'm filling up my water tanks for the first time. Typically my first camping trip of the season is 3-5 nights so I want my holding tanks empty to start. So I run water through and dump the tanks into the campground's sewer hookups while I'm there. However this year my first trip will be a 2 night trip, so I will just be letting the antifreeze go into my holding tanks.

Please do not dump it onto the ground. Animals could be attracted to the smell, and get sick or even die by ingesting it.
Agreed.

It's very easy to dump when you fill water no need to let it run out on the roads.
Old 05-14-2014, 08:18 PM   #28
hedge
Draft Pick

while your at it de-winterizing, it's a good idea to bleach the system.

put 1/3 cup per 15 gallons into the tank, pump it through to all the fixtures until you smell the bleach. Let it sit for 4-8 hours and then flush with fresh water a couple times.

PS: RV anti-freeze is non-toxic, you could drink it if you want. It won't harm anything but still better to dump it in the proper place. It'll end up in your black and grey tanks anyways and you certainly can't dump those on the street.
hedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 10:21 PM   #29
Tailgator
Scoring Winger

Exp:

As others have said, it's non toxic and supposedly safe, but I would still be careful. I accidentally poured some out on my lawn a couple years ago and the dead spot on my grass lasted until the next spring.....
Tailgator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tailgator For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2014, 10:05 AM   #30
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would stick to camper vans (class B.) They are easier to drive and live with. They obviously don't provide as much room or convenience but maintenance and cost of ownership is lower.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 06:00 PM   #31
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bumping this almost four years to the day of the original post. Maybe it's the crappy weather, maybe it's the 2020 deals, but I've got motorhome on the brain again (lol).

There are some newish (2014) and relatively affordable (~$25k) yet high mileage (175k) class C motorhomes for sale on Cruise Canada's website. Obviously former rentals. I don't think the math will end up working out for us but I'd be curious how these units might last over time (they claim they are upgraded models because they need to be "bulletproof" as rental stock but I'm some skeptical as to how they're maintained...)
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 08:00 PM   #32
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

we have a small winnebago trend. It's a promaster chasis with a v6 engine. We've taken it down to Moab a couple of times, Jackson Hole, Yellowstone, Whitefish, Fernie, Squamish a couple of times, Mable Lake, Vernon, Jasper, Banff, etc. I used to own a trailer and hated towing. So for us, it was either keep the trailer and trade in the f150 for a 1-ton, or sell both and get a motorhome, which we did. I far prefer the motorhome.

I would say though, get a used one and do your research. If you can rent one as suggested, do that to make sure you like it.

We used ours a lot in the first few years but last year we only used it for the transrockies. We are going to post it for sale and buy a place in Fernie. For us, the long trips are getting old, and getting tougher to do. I will still do Moab and Squamish, but just do VRBO's now. The RV has been great, but we feel it's time for a change. A couple of weeks in a small motorhome, and you want to disown your family.
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote