Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2020, 11:42 AM   #1501
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

I watched Jojo Rabbit the other night and I really liked it. It made me want to re-read Ian Kershaw's book "The End," which is an investigation into how/why the Germand held off until the total destruction of their country.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2020, 12:06 PM   #1502
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
I watched Jojo Rabbit the other night and I really liked it. It made me want to re-read Ian Kershaw's book "The End," which is an investigation into how/why the Germand held off until the total destruction of their country.
Funny, I was just wondering to myself wether or not Jojo Rabbit qualified as a historical film, in my fancy arbitrary post -modern esque category that I made up this morning. In conclusion, I think that it is one of the best WWII movies made in recent memory in terms of humanising what it is like to live in a country at war in the 1940s. Infact it is probably a better War History movie then Saving Private Ryan, Fury and Flags of our Father combined.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 12:14 PM   #1503
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
Funny, I was just wondering to myself wether or not Jojo Rabbit qualified as a historical film, in my fancy arbitrary post -modern esque category that I made up this morning. In conclusion, I think that it is one of the best WWII movies made in recent memory in terms of humanising what it is like to live in a country at war in the 1940s. Infact it is probably a better War History movie then Saving Private Ryan, Fury and Flags of our Father combined.
I think it is good enough. There was some fantastical elements such as the battle scenes/uniforms, but I was surprised to see that all of the weapons used were somewhat period accurate.

The timeline was a bit goofy. It is supposed to be in 1945 (Stauffenberg's July 20th plot is mentioned by the Hitler character), so it would be taking place in the final months of the war from January to April 1945, basically after the Ardennes Offensive when the Allies had crossed the Rhine and were moving into Germany proper. Yet, the seasons are all messed up, like the grass is green early on the film when it should be winter, and then it snows near the end of the film when it should be spring!

Anyway, it isn't supposed to be a War History movie, but as you said, an interesting, somewhat fantastical, look at what it may have been like for a little boy who had been indoctrinated his entire life by a totalitarian regime to actually come to grips with a real moral decision and come out on the other side making the right choice - mainly due to the compassionate and moral efforts of his mother, but also due to his own sweet and innocent nature.
Old 02-26-2020, 12:56 AM   #1504
calgarybornnraised
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

So I’ve been waiting to watch “Jojo Rabbit”. Great Movie.

Last edited by calgarybornnraised; 02-26-2020 at 02:56 AM.
calgarybornnraised is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarybornnraised For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2020, 12:30 PM   #1505
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarybornnraised View Post
So I’ve been waiting to watch “Jojo Rabbit”. Great Movie.
We watched it on the weekend and I loved it. Overall just a surreal experience. Part Comedy, part drama, part tragedy....so much unexpected stuff going on, excellent performances all around. It was really, really good.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 10:19 AM   #1506
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
And here's really the root of what bothers me most on this topic. "I hate it and if you don't you're a dope and a moron". You're entitled to like or not like something, but I don't think this expression is necessary. It's just stomping on another person's joy through a veil of superiority.

To me it really has nothing to do with affect on cinema or the downfall of media consumption. It's simply "I don't like it and its existence irritates me". That argument is valid, and if it was expressed honestly I don't think it would bug me so much, aside from its redundancy.
What do you mean by "That argument is valid, and if it was expressed honestly I don't think it would bug me..."? Do you think I exaggerated that opinion? I honestly believe people who Like Bad Boys for Life are dopes of the highest order. Nobody I know and respect would like that movie.

What is this thread for, in your opinion? I mean, it kind of says it right there in the title: Recommend (or don't) a movie thread. I'm advising people to avoid this movie because it's awful. If you are a dope or a moron, however, maybe you'll love it. IDK

Judging movies is part of going to a movie FFS. Like, I don't think I've ever been to a movie with someone where we didn't talk about whether or not we liked it when we left. If we didn't like it, we'll discuss why. Bad Boys for Life was so bad that I came out with a very strong opinion of the movie and a very strong opinion about the type of person that would enjoy it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rando View Post
It was just an added note. The main point was that you could go to the theatre every weekend and not see a superhero movie. You'd probably see a dud or two, a genre that wasn't you're favourite but they're easy to avoid.

You went to see to see the third movie of a franchise staring two actors you hate. You're a glutton for punishment!
I like hitting a movie every week and have seen everything else. Believe me, this was at the bottom of my list. I was hoping it would entertain me, but it was so bad it took me out of the experience. I can enjoy most movies because I just find the time in the theater so chill. This one, however, had me squirming at its awfulness.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 11:10 AM   #1507
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
What do you mean by "That argument is valid, and if it was expressed honestly I don't think it would bug me..."? Do you think I exaggerated that opinion? I honestly believe people who Like Bad Boys for Life are dopes of the highest order. Nobody I know and respect would like that movie.
I was talking about openly saying that studios should stop making X genre movies because of Y and Z, when Y and Z really aren't the issue. The issue, to me, is that they simply don't like that genre for their own reasons, not because it is, for instance, leading to the downfall of cinema. I don't see evidence of that when it comes to superhero movies.

Although I am in the camp wanting to see something less traditional and cookie cutter from these films, such as what Joker offered.

Quote:
What is this thread for, in your opinion? I mean, it kind of says it right there in the title: Recommend (or don't) a movie thread. I'm advising people to avoid this movie because it's awful. If you are a dope or a moron, however, maybe you'll love it. IDK

Judging movies is part of going to a movie FFS. Like, I don't think I've ever been to a movie with someone where we didn't talk about whether or not we liked it when we left. If we didn't like it, we'll discuss why. Bad Boys for Life was so bad that I came out with a very strong opinion of the movie and a very strong opinion about the type of person that would enjoy it.
I'll try to parse it down again.

You can like, love, dislike, and/or hate any piece of art and feel free to express that opinion, in this thread or anywhere for that matter (but you certainly don't require my permission for that, of course).

What I don't think is necessary - for example - is calling someone a dope or moron because they disagree. I don't understand how that's constructive in your film recommendations, other than validating your self-superiority and insulting people over something that is, by nature, subjective.

It's an odd way to get people to respect an opinion. In fact, I've found it's had the opposite affect, even though I am personally entirely indifferent to that franchise.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 11:37 AM   #1508
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
I was talking about openly saying that studios should stop making X genre movies because of Y and Z, when Y and Z really aren't the issue. The issue, to me, is that they simply don't like that genre for their own reasons, not because it is, for instance, leading to the downfall of cinema. I don't see evidence of that when it comes to superhero movies.

Although I am in the camp wanting to see something less traditional and cookie cutter from these films, such as what Joker offered.

I'll try to parse it down again.

You can like, love, dislike, and/or hate any piece of art and feel free to express that opinion, in this thread or anywhere for that matter (but you certainly don't require my permission for that, of course).

What I don't think is necessary - for example - is calling someone a dope or moron because they disagree. I don't understand how that's constructive in your film recommendations, other than validating your self-superiority and insulting people over something that is, by nature, subjective.

It's an odd way to get people to respect an opinion. In fact, I've found it's had the opposite affect, even though I am personally entirely indifferent to that franchise.
lol at the bolded.

If I had to listen to you cackle at horrible jokes and clap at bad car chases, you can rest assured I'll come on the Internet to complain about you when the movie is over. I'm not calling someone a dope or a moron because they disagree. I'm calling someone a dope and a moron because I think that's what they are and I want to call them out for it. If you don't like using insulting language, then don't. Personally, I find people that are "too nice" to be bland and boring.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2020, 11:57 AM   #1509
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
lol at the bolded.

If I had to listen to you cackle at horrible jokes and clap at bad car chases, you can rest assured I'll come on the Internet to complain about you when the movie is over. I'm not calling someone a dope or a moron because they disagree. I'm calling someone a dope and a moron because I think that's what they are and I want to call them out for it. If you don't like using insulting language, then don't. Personally, I find people that are "too nice" to be bland and boring.
Yes, you are. However, I'm satisfied I've expressed my point. This seems like it will be an inevitable circle and I don't feel it necessary to derail the thread any further.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2020, 12:03 PM   #1510
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Did you like Bad Boys 2?
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 12:44 PM   #1511
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I agree with Sliver. If you hate something that much then feel free to slag others for enjoying it. Pirates of the Caribbean 2 and Oceans Twelve were so bad that I actually wish harm on anyone who likes those movies. I hope evil things happen to the type of person who would support a movie that bad.
icecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to icecube For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2020, 12:51 PM   #1512
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post
Did you like Bad Boys 2?
That's like asking; Do you like steaming piles of trash?
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 01:18 PM   #1513
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

People who don't like Bad Boys 2 are insufferable twats who don't let themselves enjoy things because they're desperately trying to convince themselves they are smarter than they actually are. (am I doing this right?)

Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Matata For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2020, 01:25 PM   #1514
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I mean this is the guy who lists “The Princess Switch” as one of his favourite movies. He comes from a dubious place to call someone a moron for liking something.
OutOfTheCube is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2020, 02:19 PM   #1515
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecube View Post
I agree with Sliver. If you hate something that much then feel free to slag others for enjoying it. Pirates of the Caribbean 2 and Oceans Twelve were so bad that I actually wish harm on anyone who likes those movies. I hope evil things happen to the type of person who would support a movie that bad.
The first Pirates of the Caribbean was actually not terrible though.
Old 02-27-2020, 02:23 PM   #1516
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
People who don't like Bad Boys 2 are insufferable twats who don't let themselves enjoy things because they're desperately trying to convince themselves they are smarter than they actually are. (am I doing this right?)

I think calling anyone a moron for their lack of shared taste in garbage is fair game. I have absolutely awful taste in films for someone of my so-called intellectual pretensions.
Old 02-27-2020, 02:26 PM   #1517
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Yes, you are. However, I'm satisfied I've expressed my point. This seems like it will be an inevitable circle and I don't feel it necessary to derail the thread any further.
I'll share the tap out with you. I was done on that, too.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2020, 04:59 PM   #1518
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecube View Post
Ocean's Twelve is legitimately horrible. Julia Roberts pretending to be Julia Roberts might be the single laziest written scene in cinema history.

I thought Pirates 2 was okay. It's 3, 4 and 5 that are the giant turds.
Old 02-28-2020, 06:49 AM   #1519
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Ha ha ha what's going on in this thread?
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 12:17 PM   #1520
jammies
Basement Chicken Choker

Location: In a land without pants, or war, or want. But mostly we care about the pants.
Exp:

Coincidentally, I tried watching Bad Boys II last weekend. I couldn't make it to the end - running over dead people *could* be funny, but only if the film had already established a dark tone. I wouldn't say you'd have to be a moron to like it, but the demographic likely skews that way.