Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-07-2020, 09:45 AM   #1561
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Information about these matches is pretty sparse. They play their first game today, but I can't seem to find anything about a stream or even the kickoff time. The news release says:

Quote:
Canada will face Barbados on Tuesday 7 January and Friday 10 January before then facing Iceland on Wednesday 15 January. Canadian fans can follow the team across Canada Soccer’s digital channels on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter, including behind-the-scenes coverage throughout their January camp abroad.
So we'll just be refreshing Twitter by the sound of it. Does anyone have any additional information on coverage? Would be nice to see some of the younger guys play, and Carducci of course. Hell, I'd even lay off of Borges a little bit if he got a chance to put in a shift for the national team. It would be good for the CanPL.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 10:14 AM   #1562
Arsenal14
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
Information about these matches is pretty sparse. They play their first game today, but I can't seem to find anything about a stream or even the kickoff time. The news release says:

So we'll just be refreshing Twitter by the sound of it. Does anyone have any additional information on coverage? Would be nice to see some of the younger guys play, and Carducci of course. Hell, I'd even lay off of Borges a little bit if he got a chance to put in a shift for the national team. It would be good for the CanPL.
Fairly sure there will be no broadcast or stream of the games. The Barbados games will be at 4 PM Calgary time and I don't think they've announced a time for the Iceland one. Definitely going to need to keep refreshing Twitter for updates.
Arsenal14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Arsenal14 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2020, 10:35 AM   #1563
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

The games won't be streamed, but I think there will be highlights. There just isn't enough interest in these games to get that set up.

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2020, 10:58 AM   #1564
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsenal14 View Post
Fairly sure there will be no broadcast or stream of the games. The Barbados games will be at 4 PM Calgary time and I don't think they've announced a time for the Iceland one. Definitely going to need to keep refreshing Twitter for updates.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
The games won't be streamed, but I think there will be highlights. There just isn't enough interest in these games to get that set up.
Totally. And that's understandable. I would settle for "random CSA staffer and their phone from a position of vantage", but a highlight pack afterwards will suffice.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 12:11 PM   #1565
Arsenal14
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

So I guess El Salvador has decided their best strategy is to not play any games they don't have to in order to avoid losing points. It's not confirmed but sounds like their game against Iceland is indeed now a "scrimmage" instead of a friendly and their game against the US has been cancelled (the US now plays Costa Rica that day). So if we win all three of our games this month we can close the gap from 15 to 10 points but we're going to need to continue scheduling matches and being pretty well perfect to chip away the rest of their lead.
Old 01-07-2020, 03:25 PM   #1566
Arsenal14
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
https://twitter.com/user/status/1214667827736502273

Looks like they are going to stream the second Barbados game and the Iceland game!

Oh, and today's game is now pushed back to 5:30 PM Calgary time. Probably similar for the other two.
The Following User Says Thank You to Arsenal14 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2020, 05:02 PM   #1567
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pretty veteran starting 11 for tonight's game.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1214691625777221633

The Following User Says Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2020, 06:11 PM   #1568
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

3-1 after the first half. Goals from Ricketts, Akindele and Osorio. Canada gave up a penalty and Barbados converted, not sure what's going on there.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1214708035513278464

https://twitter.com/user/status/1214715168372019200

https://twitter.com/user/status/1214718425907552256

Last edited by shermanator; 01-07-2020 at 06:28 PM.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2020, 07:25 PM   #1569
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

4-1 final. Bair with the fourth goal. Debuts for U23 players Shome, Brym, Bair, Okello and Nelson (who's 17)

https://twitter.com/user/status/1214730653679411200

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2020, 07:24 PM   #1570
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Another 4-1 in for Canada over Barbados tonight. Goals by Brym, Teibert, Didic and Nelson.

No Carducci sighting yet. Doubt he'll play against Iceland on Wednesday either. Bummer.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2020, 09:28 AM   #1571
Mango
Marshmallow Maiden

Exp:

Since it's the national team: good for Didic. I'm sure everyone out east thought the all-mighty unstoppable Borges would get the first-ever CanPL national team goal.

I only watch FC Edmonton games when it's versus Cavalry, and Didic never stood out to me. I guess at the end of the day, it's not a centre-back's job to be flashy. However, last night, he was one of the better players on the pitch -- connecting excellent passes. Great player.
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mango For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2020, 02:10 AM   #1572
ditty
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
Since it's the national team: good for Didic. I'm sure everyone out east thought the all-mighty unstoppable Borges would get the first-ever CanPL national team goal.

I only watch FC Edmonton games when it's versus Cavalry, and Didic never stood out to me. I guess at the end of the day, it's not a centre-back's job to be flashy. However, last night, he was one of the better players on the pitch -- connecting excellent passes. Great player.
I think part of what's getting Didic into the CANMNT set up is partially that he has history with the program but, more importantly IMO, he's seen as having a lot of potential. He's a giant, he's skilled and good in the air. I think Zator and even David Edgar had clearly better CPL seasons but, rightly or wrongly, Didic is a guy that looks like he's got another level in his game and I think that might be what's getting him these looks.
ditty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 09:07 AM   #1573
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Didic was solid against Barbados, but they weren't exactly tough competition. He's a fringe CB who can see minutes in games against minnows but for now should not be considered for a full strength Canada squad. And the same goes for any CPL talent if Canada wants to compete in the elite levels of the game.

I thought Didic was a top CB in the CPL this year but felt Zator, Krutzen and Trafford played better over the course of the season. He did have an MLS deal with Sporting KC for 3 years and was close to breaking through with their first team, and he was absolutely dominant in USL in the 3 years with Swope Park Rangers so he would have the edge right now versus other CPL CB's. Zator is the best comparison as he's a similar age and also looks like he has a higher ceiling. Edgar is on the downside of his career so I think he's on the outs.

Didic is probably too good of a player for CPL. The only reason why he moved to Edmonton was because his move to San Antonio turned out to be a huge step backwards, and he needed somewhere to play. CPL was a place to get minutes, but not where he wanted to move his career. He has MLS interest and I would be surprised if he returned to Edmonton.

Old 01-15-2020, 05:26 PM   #1574
Kipper is King
Pants Tent

Exp:

Does tonight's game have any impact on Fifa ranking to make it into the Hex?
Old 01-15-2020, 06:52 PM   #1575
Kipper is King
Pants Tent

Exp:

Canada has looked awful in the last several minutes trying to tie the game. Just hoofing long, aimless balls forward. Seemingly no real strategy.
Old 01-15-2020, 06:54 PM   #1576
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

No strategy, but tons of pressure on Iceland. To be honest Canada should have won this, even if they were messy.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 08:05 AM   #1577
Arsenal14
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipper is King View Post
Does tonight's game have any impact on Fifa ranking to make it into the Hex?
It basically negates the two wins over Barbados. The only real damage is that we now have fewer games to make up the deficit on El Salvador.

It's still unclear as to whether the El Salvador game against Iceland is a "training match" or a friendly. If it's considered a friendly Iceland could do us a favor by dropping El Salvador a couple points closer to us. They are selling tickets to the game which apparently FIFA only allows for friendlies, but rules are flexible in FIFA/CONCACAF.
Old 02-14-2020, 01:21 PM   #1578
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Canada will play a friendly against Trinidad and Tobago on March 27 in Victoria. First game in a CPL stadium. Would love to see more national team games spread across the country like this.

https://canadasoccer.com/canada-retu...iendly-p162581

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2020, 04:33 PM   #1579
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Canada will play a friendly against Trinidad and Tobago on March 27 in Victoria. First game in a CPL stadium. Would love to see more national team games spread across the country like this.

https://canadasoccer.com/canada-retu...iendly-p162581

Halifax would be a pretty deserving host after their CPL fan support last season.
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 11:24 AM   #1580
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Silly season stuff, but apparently Barcelona are close to signing Jonathan David.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tomsand.../#4d66c7292b48