Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2020, 07:57 PM   #21
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

A friend of mine is on the board for this not for profit organization. This organization was founded in 2014 with the goal of addressing the preventable and educational gaps in today's mental health care system. Their aim is to empower individuals and communities by providing tools and resources and the latest research to inform and enable a high a high quality of life.

https://www.mindsovermatter.me/

They also work with their partners to help provide these services.

https://www.mindsovermatter.me/partners
Old 01-18-2020, 09:42 PM   #22
Johnhitbox
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCaper View Post
Depression is scary #####. Approximately 6yrs ago, I felt like suicide was my only way out. Had gone through a messy divorce, was in debt up to my eyeballs and just hated my life in general. Fast forward to today, I'm with an amazing woman, been married for 6 months, got my finances in order and we have an addition to our family coming May.
No matter how bad things get, there is always light at the end of the tunnel. Don't give up. Don't be afraid to ask for help and know there are people that care about you.

Good to hear

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Johnhitbox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Johnhitbox For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2020, 02:51 AM   #23
skudr248
First Line Centre

Exp:

Last edited by skudr248; 01-19-2020 at 09:57 AM.
skudr248 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 04:53 AM   #24
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Bad times don't last. Awful feelings don't last. The way through might not always be readily evident, but that makes it no more permanent. And sometimes the most initially crushing things can be the greatest blessings in disguise down the road in retrospect, because sometimes it actually serves as an opportunity to discover just how resourceful and capable of growth you really are, and you might just discover how much happier and better off you are in a different place or circumstance that you could not have come into without things falling apart first. That's why it's important not to give up when things feel at their worst. Cause the worst is always a springboard to something else, you just have to hold in there to allow it to unfold. Remember that.
Great point! I had an awful 2018..and a great 2019. And the opportunities of the past 16 months never could have happened without all the crap that occurred right before it. It really is true.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sainters7 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2020, 10:28 AM   #25
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCaper View Post
Depression is scary #####. Approximately 6yrs ago, I felt like suicide was my only way out. Had gone through a messy divorce, was in debt up to my eyeballs and just hated my life in general. Fast forward to today, I'm with an amazing woman, been married for 6 months, got my finances in order and we have an addition to our family coming May.
No matter how bad things get, there is always light at the end of the tunnel. Don't give up. Don't be afraid to ask for help and know there are people that care about you.
Ya, that is great and I am glad it worked out positive for you but it doesn't always work out that way. For others it never turns around, it is just one life #### bomb after another. The only thing keeping you around is not to hurt the ones you love by ending your miserable pointless existence. Trust me, I know.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
#22, Cuz
Old 01-19-2020, 11:16 AM   #26
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
Yeah you do. There is walk in mental health care at the south family health center. They give you up to 16 sessions and on going psychiatric care if needed. The meds will cost you though if that's what you require.
I'm not being snarky, I promise, but I'm not sure how true this is. A friend of ours tried going this route through SHC & got told they couldn't access it because they didn't live within a certain zone around SHC.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Minnie For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2020, 01:48 PM   #27
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Ya, that is great and I am glad it worked out positive for you but it doesn't always work out that way. For others it never turns around, it is just one life #### bomb after another. The only thing keeping you around is not to hurt the ones you love by ending your miserable pointless existence. Trust me, I know.
Yup. I've known my best friend (who lives in the States) for just over 15 years. In that time period, I've not known ONE thing to go right for him without it turning on him within a month and going more sideways than it ever went right. He is the walking definition of "If it weren't for bad luck..."

For the last 10 years, I've been doing everything I can to keep him from suiciding.

I almost lost that fight over Christmas as he had lost everything that even mattered a bit to him, and he'd given up.

Last I heard, he'd checked himself into a 24/7 mental health residency type program before his phone expired.

I hope that he finds the help he needs.

Last edited by WhiteTiger; 01-19-2020 at 02:08 PM.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post: