Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-15-2016, 02:01 PM   #241
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

So are they going to get marooned on the planet of the living dead?

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 02:02 PM   #242
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Delayed again, indefinitely this time.

Also an actor James Frain will play Spock's father.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/star-trek-dis...bac-1791339825
Old 01-18-2017, 02:20 PM   #243
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

My guess is that this show will probably not see the light of day, and it seems like the character mix is certainly bizarre and confusing.

You know what I'd like to see is a mirror universe series that takes place between the end of Mirror Mirror and where the Empire collapses after being attacked by the Klingon Cardassian Romulan alliance.

That could literally have a complete jerk empire where the villains are the heros and the heros are the villains.

They could commit genocide and enslave planets and then have the whole thing come tumbling down.

One season the main characters are at the top of the food chain the next season at the bottom.

Old 01-18-2017, 02:33 PM   #244
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hadnt realized that Bryan Fuller bailed.

That is not a promising sign.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 02:37 PM   #245
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

The whole thing just seems so messy and weird.

Its funny thought, I was thinking that the Star Trek universe for some reason is so limiting.

they focus on a ship and a crew in the future, with the exception of DS9 which was a space station and crew in the future.

They really need to spread things out. I mean they had so many cool little tidbits that they could make a series of

A series that's almost like a cop buddy series involving two member of the Temporal investigators.

Or how about a series that goes after Section 31

Or one that dives into smugglers and the criminal underworld.

Just maybe something outside of the Federation.

You could do an amazing series that just deals with StarFleet intelligence.

Or make a series from another perspective like the Klingons.

Or and I would love this. Do a series based around the eugenics wars.

But do something new. There's only so many starship stories to be told.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2017, 03:12 PM   #246
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

It really is too bad, it feels like they are wasting the momentum that the Star Trek reboot created.

Compared to how well Disney complemented the Marvel Cinematic Universe and Star Wars, it feels like a huge opportunity missed to further the Star Trek franchise.

And I agree with Captain Crunch, the traditional Star Trek TV format of following one crew around probably is too limited and IMO one of the reasons Star Trek died out on TV by the early 2000's.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 03:14 PM   #247
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I figured that's what Michael Dorn was pitching before this became a thing. Not that this thing is likely to make it out in the end anyways...
Mazrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 03:16 PM   #248
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
It really is too bad, it feels like they are wasting the momentum that the Star Trek reboot created.

Compared to how well Disney complemented the Marvel Cinematic Universe and Star Wars, it feels like a huge opportunity missed to further the Star Trek franchise.

And I agree with Captain Crunch, the traditional Star Trek TV format of following one crew around probably is too limited and IMO one of the reasons Star Trek died out on TV by the early 2000's.
I would agree, but it always seems like the people involved in Star Trek are their own worst enemy.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 01-18-2017, 03:17 PM   #249
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
I figured that's what Michael Dorn was pitching before this became a thing. Not that this thing is likely to make it out in the end anyways...
I actually heard that he was pitching:

"Worf: Galactic PI"

But the networks werent biting because his metal sash clashes with Hawaiian shirts.

Old 01-18-2017, 03:47 PM   #250
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I actually heard that he was pitching:

"Worf: Galactic PI"

But the networks weren't biting because his metal sash clashes with Hawaiian shirts.
I was thinking more along the idea of CSI Mars. With a bitter Worf as a overweight cop still mourning over the death of Dax. With his partner a sassy trisexual droid named CSXE1 (Consensual sex with every 1 if you must know) they must solve crimes in the criminal underworld, while keeping Chief Picard happy

Picard - "WORF YOU IDIOT"

Worf - "Die with honor"]
CSXE1 - "Now stop it you two"

Old 01-18-2017, 03:55 PM   #251
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

That would only work as a new Red Dwarf series, certainly not Star Trek.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 04:02 PM   #252
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The whole thing just seems so messy and weird.

Its funny thought, I was thinking that the Star Trek universe for some reason is so limiting.

they focus on a ship and a crew in the future, with the exception of DS9 which was a space station and crew in the future.

They really need to spread things out. I mean they had so many cool little tidbits that they could make a series of

A series that's almost like a cop buddy series involving two member of the Temporal investigators.

Or how about a series that goes after Section 31

Or one that dives into smugglers and the criminal underworld.

Just maybe something outside of the Federation.

You could do an amazing series that just deals with StarFleet intelligence.

Or and I would love this. Do a series based around the eugenics wars.

But do something new. There's only so many starship stories to be told.
I think you've hit on the problem with all franchises - there are only so many stories to tell.

There are only so many things you can say with Jurassic Park, Star Trek, Star Wars etc. Ditto the Marvel movies. At a certain point, fatigue becomes a very real concern. I didn't see Ant Man, Dr Strange, Rogue One, and I sure won't pay money to watch Justice League. I don't feel like I'm missing out.

Ultimately, we have to remember this is an entertainment product. What is entertaining about it? Having a grand space adventure with a bunch of fun relatable characters who inspire our imaginations. People we look forward to spending 45 minutes a week with, wondering what new challenges they'll overcome next time. And all the while injecting in a little message and idealism to your weekly sci Fi.

People over think this way too much.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 04:12 PM   #253
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I still want a Justice Lords movie instead of a justice League movie.

Old 01-19-2017, 10:31 AM   #254
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Star Trek was oversaturated by the late 90s, with multiple Treks TV shows running simultaneously and a movie every two years. Also, Voyager sucked.

I think they need to freshen it up, but it would be a mistake to abandon the core premise of the show - group of people exploring the galaxy and coping with scientific and ethical issues in an optimistic evocation of the future. The Star Trek universe itself isn't all that interesting - not interesting enough to set a ongoing TV show with an entirely different genre (private eye, political backstabbing, etc.). The appeal lies in that core premise.

Trek also relies on an existing and devoted fanbase more than other franchises. There's only so far you can go before it's 'not Star Trek'. Star Wars isn't all that different - The Force Awakens hits every note of the classic Star Wars premise. Disney is only able to go off the reservation with standalones like Rogue One because the main movie series is hewing closely to the core premise of a young people with a destiny engaged in the struggle between mystical good and evil.

The problem with the new Trek is it's being used by a traditional TV network to try to sell its streaming platform. Give Netflix or Syfy the license and I expect it would be on-track.

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 01-19-2017 at 10:48 AM.
CliffFletcher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 11:02 AM   #255
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

See what I liked about Deep Space 9 was that it was Trek in name only.

While OST, and TNG and even to an extent Voyager were an extension of the Roddenberry vision of this utopian future where realistically man had done away with famine and war and to an extent corruption. They flew around in these super comfortable space ships with their families in tow. Conflicts were short and were dealt with non violently for the most part.

After a while you get sick of it, its boring and it ignores human nature as you know it.

With DS9, they re-introduced money and greed into humanity, they put them in unwinnable situations where high ideals and Federation pillars were the wrong choice (In the pale Moonlight), they put the whole human race in jeopardy far better then they did with the Borg, and it wasn't mankinds finest hour, Military coup, dirty tactics, attacks that literally sacrificed people and planets. Star Fleet instead of standing firm like in the other series, retreated and were beaten and bloody.

It made DS9 so much more 3 dimensional and you never really felt sure of the eventual outcome.

It got tiring when I watched TNG and Voyager because most of it was actually a lot of high lecturing by the Captains about how perfect the federation was.

In DS9 you could feel that the Federation was rotting and not as strong as they thought it was.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2017, 11:51 AM   #256
Maccalus
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
See what I liked about Deep Space 9 was that it was Trek in name only.

While OST, and TNG and even to an extent Voyager were an extension of the Roddenberry vision of this utopian future where realistically man had done away with famine and war and to an extent corruption. They flew around in these super comfortable space ships with their families in tow. Conflicts were short and were dealt with non violently for the most part.

After a while you get sick of it, its boring and it ignores human nature as you know it.

With DS9, they re-introduced money and greed into humanity, they put them in unwinnable situations where high ideals and Federation pillars were the wrong choice (In the pale Moonlight), they put the whole human race in jeopardy far better then they did with the Borg, and it wasn't mankinds finest hour, Military coup, dirty tactics, attacks that literally sacrificed people and planets. Star Fleet instead of standing firm like in the other series, retreated and were beaten and bloody.

It made DS9 so much more 3 dimensional and you never really felt sure of the eventual outcome.

It got tiring when I watched TNG and Voyager because most of it was actually a lot of high lecturing by the Captains about how perfect the federation was.

In DS9 you could feel that the Federation was rotting and not as strong as they thought it was.
DS9 was my favourite Trek series for these reasons, but everytime I start watching DS9 it just reminds me that it is just a poorer Babylon 5. I truly wish that the B5 universe got more respect and funding as it was full of great storytelling.
Maccalus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 12:36 PM   #257
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

B5 was excellent, well acted and supurb, except for the resolution of the Shadow Wars which was so mind blindingly stupid that I almost swore off the show for ever.

Old 01-19-2017, 12:43 PM   #258
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
In the pale Moonlight
This is alone is worth thanking.
chemgear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 01:39 PM   #259
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Agreed. It drove Star Trek writers nuts (especially when Rodenberry was still alive) that they couldn't introduce genuine human conflict between the characters. Talk about limiting your storylines.

I only watched a handful of DS9 episides, but now that they're on Netflix I'm working my way through TNG in anticipation of watching the whole DS9 series.

Ideally, a new Star Trek would keep the basic premise of exploration and science, and dial back the Utopian vision of Rodenberry's to DS9 levels to allow for more rounded characters and interesting storylines.
CliffFletcher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 02:35 PM   #260
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Agreed. It drove Star Trek writers nuts (especially when Rodenberry was still alive) that they couldn't introduce genuine human conflict between the characters. Talk about limiting your storylines.

I only watched a handful of DS9 episides, but now that they're on Netflix I'm working my way through TNG in anticipation of watching the whole DS9 series.

Ideally, a new Star Trek would keep the basic premise of exploration and science, and dial back the Utopian vision of Rodenberry's to DS9 levels to allow for more rounded characters and interesting storylines.
DS9 is a bit slow for the first two years, not saying its not good but its a bit slow. They really did a lot of character develop and introduction. It slowly starts picking up in Season 3 when the Founders and the Dominion come into play. I will say that the occasional Mirror episodes in the first 3 years were excellent.

Season 4 was quite good, they had a great episode called Little Green Men that's must see.

Season 5 was really strong, I think that pretty much every episode was really good

Season 6 was like a roller coaster ride.

Season 7 was really good to me and had some really strong episodes, it also had some really heart felt episodes like Take me out to the Ball Game and The Seige of AR-855. Honestly the weakest moment over the last 5 years was about the final 10 minutes of the last episode.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post: