Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2017, 08:43 AM   #801
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

This thread needs a bump, so just wanted to mention a couple places.
Tango Bistro (part of the Smugglers group/complex) - didn't expect much, and went here for the first time mostly because it's a 5-7 minute drive for us, it has decent reviews and I could get 1000 Open Table points. Then I learned they had a $12.50 corkage fee, so that got me really excited! Have been twice now, and I have to say I really like it - the menu items we have tried have been very good to excellent. Particularly enjoyed the Pot au Feu, served with a marrow bone. Nice ambiance and great service both times. Also, doesn't hurt that you can get away for around $100 if you bring your own bottle.
Il Centro - have really enjoyed this old place. Certainly not overly fancy, but we love their pizza and I love the fried jalapenos. The calamari is also perfectly cooked. And if you are really lucky, the owner is making osso bucco, which is great. The $20 corkage fee is very reasonable.

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VladtheImpaler For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2017, 10:35 AM   #802
CMPunk
aka Spike

Exp:

Nicole Gnomes wins Top Chef Canada:
http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-...op-chef-canada
CMPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 10:48 AM   #803
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Went to the Deane house,

I had the tasting menu and while it was good Rouge is superior for a similar price point and concept so I was a little disappointed. There was one dish which was a Duck Consume which was pretty amazing. And sitting on the covered deck room with a view of the elbow river is a fantastic place to eat.

Worth going to once.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 11:15 AM   #804
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMPunk View Post
Nicole Gnomes wins Top Chef Canada:
http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-...op-chef-canada
I've had both catering by Nicole Gnomes at a few weddings and been to her chicken spot a couple times and have yet to be impressed. Not saying she isn't a great chef, but her winning that competition really makes me question the validity of it.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 12:00 PM   #805
CMPunk
aka Spike

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
I've had both catering by Nicole Gnomes at a few weddings and been to her chicken spot a couple times and have yet to be impressed. Not saying she isn't a great chef, but her winning that competition really makes me question the validity of it.

One off meals in a competition vs everyday food. Not to say she isn't talented, but she's not putting out competition food everyday.
CMPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CMPunk For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2017, 12:09 PM   #806
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I get the feeling the you are person who is really hard to impress. Almost impossible really.
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 12:09 PM   #807
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Haven't watched the finale yet (thanks CMPunk) but Nicole killed it all season.

Weird to question the validity of Top Chef considering this season was all stars and guest judged by:
  • Lidia Bastianich
  • Daniel Boulud
  • Jeremy Charles
  • Maneet Chauhan
  • Lynn Crawford
  • Normand Laprise
  • Susur Lee
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 12:44 PM   #808
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladtheImpaler View Post
Il Centro - have really enjoyed this old place. Certainly not overly fancy, but we love their pizza and I love the fried jalapenos. The calamari is also perfectly cooked. And if you are really lucky, the owner is making osso bucco, which is great. The $20 corkage fee is very reasonable.
I use to work across the street from this place in the late 90's.

I am happy to hear it is still great. I had to check to make sure it was the same place.

Their veil and marinara sauce sandwich was very good.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 05:04 PM   #809
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnes View Post
Haven't watched the finale yet (thanks CMPunk) but Nicole killed it all season.

Weird to question the validity of Top Chef considering this season was all stars and guest judged by:
  • Lidia Bastianich
  • Daniel Boulud
  • Jeremy Charles
  • Maneet Chauhan
  • Lynn Crawford
  • Normand Laprise
  • Susur Lee
I'm thinking I worded that poorly. I'm saying I don't feel being good at a timed competition like that always translates to actual top notch food in a restaurant setting. I actually really enjoy show, and usually seek out the participants restaurants when i'm in another city. None are bad per say, but only a few of them have been what I would consider real top quality. I'd put a place like Vero Bistro up against any of their restaurants. Anything i've had from Nicole here in Calgary, while good, seems to be at the lower end of the food i've tried from these chefs (just my opinion), and the fact that she can slay these competitions makes me think that the best chef doesn't win these tv competitions. The one who can make something prettiest, the fastest does.

Last edited by TheAlpineOracle; 06-05-2017 at 05:07 PM.
Old 06-05-2017, 05:05 PM   #810
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
A chicken fast food place and even catering, aren't really anything like the competition though.

Nicole did well throughout the competition (winning lots of preliminary events) so I don't think she's a surprising winner, although I thought it seemed like Dustin edged her out overall.

I would like to eat at a restaurant where Nicole was the chef. I've been to Cluck and Cleaver but she wasn't the one cooking it.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 05:17 PM   #811
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
A chicken fast food place and even catering, aren't really anything like the competition though.

Nicole did well throughout the competition (winning lots of preliminary events) so I don't think she's a surprising winner, although I thought it seemed like Dustin edged her out overall.

I would like to eat at a restaurant where Nicole was the chef. I've been to Cluck and Cleaver but she wasn't the one cooking it.
When I was at Cluck and Cleaver both Nicole and her sister were there (probably because it had recently opened, not sure if she's still there regularly).

I've been to one of Dustin's places in Toronto (416 snack bar). I thought that was really good. Trevor Bird's place Fable is outstanding. Jesse Vergen's place (Saint John Ale House) was a huge disappointment. Basically standard pub food. It's all hit and miss really with these contestants.
Old 06-05-2017, 05:33 PM   #812
Pizza
Poster

Exp:

Quote:
and the fact that she can slay these competitions makes me think that the best chef doesn't win these tv competitions. The one who can make something prettiest, the fastest does.
You do realize that the judges taste the dishes too. Like pretty much every single one of them

Did you even bother watching a single episode of Top Chef?
The contestants have ample time working out their dishes in the elimination challenges
Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 05:44 PM   #813
Pizza
Poster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post

The thing that bothers me about these competition shows is that they don't show the full truth with the judges opinions and arguments. Have they actually shown the whole argument (whether it be more support for Nicole or more negative feedback for Dustin) it would've led you to believe that Nicole had won and that the announcement of the winner would've felt anti-climatic. Instead, the producer's editing had you believe Dustin was slightly better and finding out that Nicole who won, is surprising.

And I agree with Nicole as the Chef. Fried Chicken seems so basic compared to the stuff she pulled off on the show. If Mark MacEwan boldly stated that Nicole's Tortellini was the best he's ever had in his life, Nicole better damn well open a fine dining Italian restaurant in Calgary, especially when she was classically trained in it
Old 06-05-2017, 05:48 PM   #814
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
You do realize that the judges taste the dishes too. Like pretty much every single one of them

Did you even bother watching a single episode of Top Chef?
The contestants have ample time working out their dishes in the elimination challenges
I've watched every single episode of Top Chef (Canada and US). They basically get a time limit with predetermined ingredients in most situations. They are all good chefs, so they are going to to put something decent up there, but with those variables and time constraints that doesn't lead to the best chefs winning.

Nothing Chef Nicole Gomes does around Calgary screams top chef in the country. That's just my opinion though. I wouldn't even put her in the top five here in the City. Not to say she isn't great at what she does, clearly she is a good and a successful business owner, but her establishment here are far from high end (even for fast-food type stuff), and I don't ever walk away from them thinking that was top notch and I need to go back. I find it odd that she can continue to dominate on Top Chef as a result.
Old 06-05-2017, 05:50 PM   #815
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
The thing that bothers me about these competition shows is that they don't show the full truth with the judges opinions and arguments. Have they actually shown the whole argument (whether it be more support for Nicole or more negative feedback for Dustin) it would've led you to believe that Nicole had won and that the announcement of the winner would've felt anti-climatic. Instead, the producer's editing had you believe Dustin was slightly better and finding out that Nicole who won, is surprising.

And I agree with Nicole as the Chef. Fried Chicken seems so basic compared to the stuff she pulled off on the show. If Mark MacEwan boldly stated that Nicole's Tortellini was the best he's ever had in his life, Nicole better damn well open a fine dining Italian restaurant in Calgary, especially when she was classically trained in it
That's kind of what I'm trying to get at (you worded it much better though). If she's so talented, why is her stuff in and around this city so mediocre? Cluck N Clever doesn't even have the best fried chicken in that particular market space.

Last edited by TheAlpineOracle; 06-05-2017 at 05:58 PM.
Old 06-05-2017, 06:18 PM   #816
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

I've been to one of Dustin's places in Toronto (416 snack bar). I thought that was really good. Trevor Bird's place Fable is outstanding. Jesse Vergen's place (Saint John Ale House) was a huge disappointment. Basically standard pub food. It's all hit and miss really with these contestants.
Good to know. I will have to try those places the next time I'm in Toronto and Vancouver. So far, I've only been to the Calgary places. I went to Charcut, after I saw Connie on the first season and I followed Xavier (season 2?) around to a few of the restaurants he worked at. He was probably my favourite.

I went to Cluck and Cleaver over the Christmas holidays to try it out, because that was the only way to go to Nicole's place, short of setting up a catered event. They were quite anxious to tell me the owner was on Top Chef Canada, but she wasn't there at the time. I don't live anywhere near there and you basically need to take it out, so it's not really worth it to go again. I would love to try an Italian restaurant that Nicole opened with her winnings.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 06:18 PM   #817
Pizza
Poster

Exp:

Quote:
I've watched every single episode of Top Chef (Canada and US). They basically get a time limit with predetermined ingredients in most situations. They are all good chefs, so they are going to to put something decent up there, but with those variables and time constraints that doesn't lead to the best chefs winning.
mostly in the quickfire rounds, yes.
In the elimination challenges, while they do have themes and/or teams, the only restraint they really have is 2 hours prep time and $300 to spend at the grocery store. They mostly get to cook what they want.

Quote:
Nothing Chef Nicole Gomes does around Calgary screams top chef in the country. That's just my opinion though. I wouldn't even put her in the top five here in the City. Not to say she isn't great at what she does, clearly she is a good and a successful business owner, but her establishment here are far from high end (even for fast-food type stuff), and I don't ever walk away from them thinking that was top notch and I need to go back. I find it odd that she can continue to dominate on Top Chef as a result.
While I find her career choices in Catering and Fried Chicken puzzling, she really needs to go with what she does best. I'm also a believer that Chefs improve on what they do over time in the industry. Which is why i dont find it surprising that people like Nicole and Dustin, who werent finalists in their respective seasons, could improve so dramatically over the past few years
Old 06-05-2017, 07:46 PM   #818
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Went to back to Brigitte Bar - food is still great, try the carpaccio, scallops and roasted cauliflower.

It has become almost too successful - the acoustics make the din of conversation unbearable, and the bros with sunglasses on thier heads at night have arrived.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 07:57 PM   #819
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm thinking I worded that poorly. I'm saying I don't feel being good at a timed competition like that always translates to actual top notch food in a restaurant setting. I actually really enjoy show, and usually seek out the participants restaurants when i'm in another city. None are bad per say, but only a few of them have been what I would consider real top quality. I'd put a place like Vero Bistro up against any of their restaurants. Anything i've had from Nicole here in Calgary, while good, seems to be at the lower end of the food i've tried from these chefs (just my opinion), and the fact that she can slay these competitions makes me think that the best chef doesn't win these tv competitions. The one who can make something prettiest, the fastest does.
Fair enough. She is truly doing what she wants to do though. Working with her sister in a low risk, single protein restaurant and running her own catering business. She doesn't answer to anyone. She was a opening sous chef under Micheal Noble at catch and opening Executive chef at Mercato and now Top Chef. She has the chops. Maybe she can avoid investors and open an Italian restaurant.

I for one commend her for doing what she wants and not having to answer to anyone.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 08:06 PM   #820
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

The other thing is catering and fast food are pretty high margin options with low overheads vs trying to crack into a fickle trendy fine dining market. From the outside she seems like a much smarter businesswoman than most chefs who want to live their dream of opening a place.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:

Tags
fast food sucks , local owned , support small business