Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-12-2019, 10:42 AM   #341
Locke
ness Monster
 
Locke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Income Tax Central
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
We should take the same position on social media as we do on cigarettes.
It causes Cancer?
__________________
- "Somebody may beat me, but they're going to have to bleed to do it."
- Steve Prefontaine
This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 10:44 AM   #342
peter12
Franchise Player
 
peter12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
It causes Cancer?
Incurable social evil and should be taxed, regulated, and controlled away.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2019, 10:55 AM   #343
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player
 
Bring_Back_Shantz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: In my office, at the Ministry of Awesome!
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
Incurable social evil and should be taxed, regulated, and controlled away.
But we look super cool while we're doing it?

Especially if you do it right after sex?
__________________
THE SHANTZ WILL RISE AGAIN.
<-----Check the Badge bitches. You want some Awesome, you come to me!
Bring_Back_Shantz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bring_Back_Shantz For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2019, 10:56 AM   #344
Locke
ness Monster
 
Locke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Income Tax Central
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring_Back_Shantz View Post
But we look super cool while we're doing it?

Especially if you do it right after sex?
Tweeting after sex...the ultimate d-bag move...
__________________
- "Somebody may beat me, but they're going to have to bleed to do it."
- Steve Prefontaine
This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 11:43 AM   #345
DuffMan
Franchise Player
 
DuffMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: 127.0.0.1
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
It causes Cancer?
windmills do, so...
__________________
Pass the bacon.
DuffMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 01:43 PM   #346
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Sylvan Lake
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Tweeting after sex...the ultimate d-bag move...
Tweeting during sex is the ultimate boss move
__________________
Captain James P. DeCOSTE, CD, 18 Sep 1993

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2019, 02:54 PM   #347
peter12
Franchise Player
 
peter12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Tweeting during sex is the ultimate boss move
Angry sex is when you get subtweeted.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 03:22 PM   #348
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Sylvan Lake
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
Angry sex is when you get subtweeted.
Group sex is when you get re-tweeted.
__________________
Captain James P. DeCOSTE, CD, 18 Sep 1993

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2019, 06:40 PM   #349
TorqueDog
#1 Goaltender
 
TorqueDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Calgary, AB
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
The Peloton thing was weird but to me is partly an example of the media and twitter fueling themselves.

Commercial comes out in early November and no one notices until some guy retweets it making fun of it a month later. At first it seems that people are just laughing at how dumb it is. We see commercials that portray women poorly or men as idiots all the time but for whatever reason this one really gets a lot of attention.

But then twitter starts ramping up. It goes from people making fun of commercial to people making comments about misogyny, sexism etc. The media then starts running click bait stories about how the commercial is offending people. This makes more and more people on twitter react and share their offence to the commercial. So the media keeps running more and more stories, now using terms like “outrage” and relating the commercial to society wide frustration with how women are portrayed in the media. It’s a vicious cycle. Rinse and repeat.

And then it comes full circle when the company takes a massive hit financially and the actors become victims themselves because they’re facing harassment.

It’s such a bizarre situation that seems to play out time and time again and imo is absolutely an example of manufactured outrage. And then these types of incidents start getting compared to actual events that are offensive and get lumped together as an example of the epidemic of “cancel culture”. There’s no perspective or context to evaluate which things are truly important societal issues and which are media fuelled manufactured events.
Again, the Kaepernick incident aside, cancel culture is media fueled. There are literally news articles where the only thing being covered is the social media reaction of three or four random internet dipsh-ts to an event, and it doesn't matter if the event is actually worth discussion or some overblown nonsense.
__________________
If the Flames are playing, GO FLAMES GO.
If the Jets are playing, GO JE-... nm, ғ**ĸ the Jets.
GO FLAMES GO.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 01:56 AM   #350
topfiverecords
Franchise Player
 
topfiverecords's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: randomrectangleland
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
We should take the same position on social media as we do on cigarettes.
Tax the heck out of it?
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 09:33 AM   #351
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player
 
WhiteTiger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
The most recent example is the Peloton Bike Christmas commercial. The actor who played the husband has been getting some pretty heinous abuse hurled at him.
How? How does anyone get so wound up over a commercial that they manage to not only figure out which rando is in it, but hunt them down and harass them??
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 12:47 PM   #352
topfiverecords
Franchise Player
 
topfiverecords's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: randomrectangleland
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
How? How does anyone get so wound up over a commercial that they manage to not only figure out which rando is in it, but hunt them down and harass them??
Twitter is how/who/what/where & why.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 03:20 PM   #353
annasuave
Crash and Bang Winger
 
annasuave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Exp:
Default

I do. I do want to have an argument! Hear me out and hear why.

I think I'm a sane, reasonably intelligent, respectful and pragmatic person. While I'd love to think that most people are too, in my experience I find that there are an awful lot of people who aren't respectful, or logical, or even reasonably intelligent. I'm sad because this really puts me at a disadvantage in most arguments. I'll quickly figure out that someone is married to their opinion, unwilling to listen to counter-arguments, rude, or just plain dumb - and abandon the argument. Sort of like wrestling with pigs in ####, you know?

I'll blurt out something stupid like "Aha! That's a strawman fallacy and I'm not falling for it." Which really only works if you're arguing with someone who already knows what a logical fallacy is. Not all that often, as it happens.

So yes. I'd love to have an argument. I'd love to get better at having arguments.

So Duffman - I put forth that its pointless for an adult to try to learn how to get better at having arguments. Both from the point of view of presenting one's arguments and in manipulating your debating partner. You to be an ####### to be good at arguing. If you're not an #######, you're at permanent disadvantage in a disagreement. Go.
annasuave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 03:45 PM   #354
81MC
Powerplay Quarterback
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Exp:
Default

Don’t consider your ability to point out a fallacy as a great thing. There are several ways to get that message across, and simply saying ‘that’s a fallacy!’ is likely the least effective. Because even the most intelligent people may find themselves simply misunderstanding your point, which can be more indicative of your skills than theirs.

Don’t assume it’s the other party. Consider how your presenting your argument, and if it actually is going anything to change the stance of the other. If someone is ignorant of something, your job when discussing it when them is to enlighten, not point our their ignorance as your win.
__________________
Quote:
Accused of assaulting a fish! Funniest thing I have ever heard.
81MC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 81MC For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2019, 08:11 PM   #355
GGG
Franchise Player
 
GGG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by annasuave View Post
I do. I do want to have an argument! Hear me out and hear why.

I think I'm a sane, reasonably intelligent, respectful and pragmatic person. While I'd love to think that most people are too, in my experience I find that there are an awful lot of people who aren't respectful, or logical, or even reasonably intelligent. I'm sad because this really puts me at a disadvantage in most arguments. I'll quickly figure out that someone is married to their opinion, unwilling to listen to counter-arguments, rude, or just plain dumb - and abandon the argument. Sort of like wrestling with pigs in ####, you know?

I'll blurt out something stupid like "Aha! That's a strawman fallacy and I'm not falling for it." Which really only works if you're arguing with someone who already knows what a logical fallacy is. Not all that often, as it happens.

So yes. I'd love to have an argument. I'd love to get better at having arguments.

So Duffman - I put forth that its pointless for an adult to try to learn how to get better at having arguments. Both from the point of view of presenting one's arguments and in manipulating your debating partner. You to be an ####### to be good at arguing. If you're not an #######, you're at permanent disadvantage in a disagreement. Go.
I think most strawmanning happens by accident aside from a few specific posters. I find if you restate your premise or restate the person you are arguing withs premise and identify the specific points where you agree or disagree you have much more productive arguments here. I certainly don’t always follow my own advice and get into stupid many post spanning arguments.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 08:23 PM   #356
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day
 
jayswin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
Don’t consider your ability to point out a fallacy as a great thing. There are several ways to get that message across, and simply saying ‘that’s a fallacy!’ is likely the least effective. Because even the most intelligent people may find themselves simply misunderstanding your point, which can be more indicative of your skills than theirs.

Don’t assume it’s the other party. Consider how your presenting your argument, and if it actually is going anything to change the stance of the other. If someone is ignorant of something, your job when discussing it when them is to enlighten, not point our their ignorance as your win.
The trend of shouting out what fallacy people are using is a scourge on online discussion. It's not even used in bad faith by those who shout it out, it just has zero, and I mean zero positive value in a discussion. There's generally two reactions:

a) The person doesn't really know the fallacy or understand what accusation is being laid upon them

b) they get their back up and the discussion degrades even further than it already has.

It generally comes from the educated and irritates the uneducated, causing more friction and anger. I know everyone likes to think online discussion is a battle that they have to "win", but that is absolutely not the case if we have any chance of progressing as a civilization.

When faced with a chance to point out a fallacy it's almost always better to just either a) try to explain your position again, more clearly or simply or b) walk away.

Last edited by jayswin; 12-16-2019 at 08:36 PM.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2019, 08:25 PM   #357
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up
 
Scroopy Noopers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Ontario, unfortunately.
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
The trend of shouting out what fallacy people are using is a scourge on online discussion. It's not even used in bad faith by those who shout it out, it just has zero, and I mean zero positive value in a discussion.

a) The person doesn't really know the fallacy or understand what accusation is being laid upon them

b) they get their back up and the discussion degrades even further than it already has.

It generally comes from the educated and irritates the uneducated, causing more friction and anger. I know everyone likes to think online discussion is a battle that they have to "win", but that is absolutely not the case if we have any chance of progressing as a civilization.

When faced with a chance to point out a fallacy it's almost always better to just either a) try to explain your position again, more clearly or simply or whatever or b) walk away.
Yup. Sure fire way to get somebody to wall up.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2019, 08:46 PM   #358
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Exp:
Default

My dueling glove will be back from the cleaners this week. Any takers?
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 09:23 PM   #359
Rando
Powerplay Quarterback
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
The trend of shouting out what fallacy people are using is a scourge on online discussion. It's not even used in bad faith by those who shout it out, it just has zero, and I mean zero positive value in a discussion. There's generally two reactions:

a) The person doesn't really know the fallacy or understand what accusation is being laid upon them

b) they get their back up and the discussion degrades even further than it already has.

It generally comes from the educated and irritates the uneducated, causing more friction and anger. I know everyone likes to think online discussion is a battle that they have to "win", but that is absolutely not the case if we have any chance of progressing as a civilization.

When faced with a chance to point out a fallacy it's almost always better to just either a) try to explain your position again, more clearly or simply or b) walk away.
ugh!... this post is suuuuch an example of the dunning–Kruger effect


Spoiler!
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 09:45 PM   #360
Geraldsh
Farm Team Player
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Exp:
Default

A special thank you to Rando.
I had to look up Dunning-Kruger and now I know why I am so smart.
Geraldsh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Geraldsh For This Useful Post:
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:26 AM.

Calgary Flames
2017-18




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Calgarypuck 2016