Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-01-2019, 09:45 PM   #5161
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
Read it again, I said a signed Hall long term
So the Devils extract substantially more value for Hall than the Sens did for Stone?

Because the Devils allow the Flames to negotiate a deal with Hall before the trade it then triples his value?

Letís make sure we trade a signed Brodie or Hamonic when we move them so we can get twice as much.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 10:24 PM   #5162
fleury
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I keep saying it, but looking for a value-type player who can play above their paygrade is not what we're looking for here. We need a legit top line star and one with leadership at that. There don't appear to be any on the market, aside from Hall. He can score and he has wheels. I'd do a deal if he can be locked up. Value guys like Benn won't work out. This team needs scoring, skating and leadership, not a reclamation project, or someone to play on the second line or below.
fleury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 10:29 PM   #5163
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Tkachuk - Couturier - Lindholm
Hall - Monahan - Bennett
Mangiapane - Backlund - Dube
Lucic - Ryan - Quine
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 10:39 PM   #5164
camm13
Backup Goalie

Exp:

lol in other new, Dougie has more points than the Flames leading scorer by 3 points and 2 lesser games.
camm13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 11:25 PM   #5165
Flames Draft Watcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
The Flames offloaded a player they could buy out if pressed. Now we have a boat anchor that could keep the Nimitz in place during a hurricane. One of the worst trades in the history of the team.
Drama Queeeeeeeen.

Worst trades in the history of the team, get a grip on reality mate.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2019, 11:45 PM   #5166
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the thought of trading Gaudreau is both laughable and embarrassing. We have a 3 year window with the current in their prime years core... for just this one time can we please just finally go out and add that last great piece.
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Heavy Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2019, 11:58 PM   #5167
RedHawk12
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Jack View Post
I think the thought of trading Gaudreau is both laughable and embarrassing. We have a 3 year window with the current in their prime years core... for just this one time can we please just finally go out and add that last great piece.
I really think we should have paid the price for Stone last year. I would seriously consider giving up a guy like Valimaki or Dube to get Hall.
RedHawk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 01:06 AM   #5168
Dragomir
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:

Why is it laughable and embarassing? Itís becoming apparent the real untouchables on this team are Tkachuk, Lindholm and Hanifin. Gaudreau is elite donít get me wrong but if you can add a young top C for him you do it 10/10 times to improve this roster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dragomir is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dragomir For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2019, 01:34 AM   #5169
Snuffleupagus
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragomir View Post
Why is it laughable and embarassing? Itís becoming apparent the real untouchables on this team are Tkachuk, Lindholm and Hanifin. Gaudreau is elite donít get me wrong but if you can add a young top C for him you do it 10/10 times to improve this roster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Who?
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 02:24 AM   #5170
Redrum
First Line Centre

Exp:

Gaudreau is a catalyst. They're pretty hard to find. People get a little obsessed with the #1 center idea because those catalyst type players tend to be a center. The Flames situation just happens to not be the usual, where the winger is the straw instead of the center. I think you have to be completely sure he's going to ditch the Flames after his contract before you look at selling him.
Redrum is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Redrum For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2019, 06:40 AM   #5171
Aarongavey
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
The Flames offloaded a player they could buy out if pressed. Now we have a boat anchor that could keep the Nimitz in place during a hurricane. One of the worst trades in the history of the team.
Ownership got tired of paying through the nose for Brad's mistakes. Good money after bad to fix his follies and I guess they said they would not do it anymore.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 07:29 AM   #5172
BigRed
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
The only thing standing between us and that last great piece is Lucic's contract. Neal was supposed to be that piece. Oh well.

The issue now is whether we can somehow lose that horrible contract in time to add before we have to trade Gaudreau and Monahan as their deals expire. Looks unlikely, to be honest.
BigRed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BigRed For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2019, 08:50 AM   #5173
New Era
Lanny or not Lanny?

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarongavey View Post
Ownership got tired of paying through the nose for Brad's mistakes. Good money after bad to fix his follies and I guess they said they would not do it anymore.
And this deal fixes that how? Lucic is owed $19M through the remainder of his contract. Neal is owed $23M. Neal was a player you could trade because he came with no clauses. Neal was also a player you could buyout. Lucic is just $20M in dead cap space. Can't buy him out, can't trade him, can't send him to the minors. They are stuck with a player that can't play at the NHL level anymore. Can't. Get. Rid. Of. Him. One of the worst moves I've seen. Seriously, if the Oilers or Canucks made a trade like this you guys would be crowing about it, and rightly so. At a time when this team needs to add another quality player, they have $5.25M worth of dead cap space preventing them from doing so. Just a flat out stupid move.
New Era is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to New Era For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2019, 08:56 AM   #5174
Aarongavey
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
And this deal fixes that how? Lucic is owed $19M through the remainder of his contract. Neal is owed $23M. Neal was a player you could trade because he came with no clauses. Neal was also a player you could buyout. Lucic is just $20M in dead cap space. Can't buy him out, can't trade him, can't send him to the minors. They are stuck with a player that can't play at the NHL level anymore. Can't. Get. Rid. Of. Him. One of the worst moves I've seen. Seriously, if the Oilers or Canucks made a trade like this you guys would be crowing about it, and rightly so. At a time when this team needs to add another quality player, they have $5.25M worth of dead cap space preventing them from doing so. Just a flat out stupid move.
I do not disagree, it was a terrible trade and I think Brad Treliving is a below average gm. I was just opining that ownership did not want to buy out this mistake, they were fine with Raymond, Bouma, Stone but not Neal. When Brad was told this he had an option of seeing if year 2 was any better for Neal or trading for a player that everyone involved in hockey knew was no longer a NHL player. Treliving chose the latter.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 09:42 AM   #5175
442scotty
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I’m up and down about Treliving. He has been pretty good in a lot of ways but some of his deals are just awful and he should have been saving money for a legitimate free agent like Stone. Instead he couldn’t help himself and couldn’t wait. The result was a useless Neal and now cap hell.
442scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 10:29 AM   #5176
fleury
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Treliving is not an issue. He probably realizes his mistake in the Neal deal, but regardless of it, he's shown he's astute. He's not in love with any given player and can move on with them as fast as he acquired them, so from a bias perspective I don't believe he believes his own bs when it's time to admit a mistake and that's huge for a person in a leadership position. So at the end of the day, I think he's a definite keeper.

Gaudreau is a keeper no matter what, simply based on his contract. He's a top line player on any team, and that contract solidifies that he should not be traded in a cap world. You can't get value like that on a top line. My problem with him is he's not a franchise player some would make him out to be. Again, I think that's the player we're missing. But I also think there's a coaching problem with the players not interpreting the system well enough. Guys are just not making passes because they're not getting acquainted with proper positioning so it becomes a solo game, in hopes someone grabs a rebound. It's just not the way the game is played anymore. Now the game is more fluid, pass-pass-pass-shoot, rather than pass-solo effort-shot-rebound. To me that's glaring this year, and IMO, that's on the coach. Additionally, I'd like to get rid of some bottom two line depth in favour of more scoring, but I'm sure several teams would like to do that.
fleury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 10:44 AM   #5177
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarongavey View Post
it was a terrible trade and I think Brad Treliving is a below average gm.
No way! Why is this the first we are hearing of it?
Old 11-02-2019, 11:23 AM   #5178
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Trading either of Gaudreau or Monahan would be beyond frustrating from my perspective. Top 25 in the league players at under 7 million each?? Madness. We need to go out and add one more true top 6 player as both Backlund and Frolik are top 6 imposters (not a diss as both have performed admirably IMO) and adding another player whoís at the same tier of Gaudreau, Tkachuk, Monahan, Lindholm would make this team supremely hard to defend against.

For me Hall is the biggest target; Monahan is criminally under appreciated at times here and Backlund is able to eat big minutes so with wingers like Gaudreau, Hall, Tkachuk and Lindholm Iíd have no concerns about our top 2 Centers in Monahan and Backlund. I also would be inclined to try Bennett on the 2nd line Center spot at some point to see if he could finally tap into that top 5 draft pedigree with Hall and Tkachuk on his flanks.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Lindholm
Hall - Backlund - Tkachuk
Mangiapane - Ryan - Bennett
Lucic - Jankowski - Quine

Incredibly deep at the wings with a good mix for our Center depth and wingers able to take strongside draws on both the 1st and 3rd lines.

Obviously Frolik has been excluded from the equation in the above and I feel like he would have to be part of the deal even if salary has to be retained in order for a deal to work.

Brodie, Frolik (50%), Dube, Gillies, 2021 1st, 2020 3rd for Hall feels like it could be at least considered as it gives the Devils two more prominent players they could flip at the deadline for even more futures to add to Dube, Gillies, 21 1st and 20 3rd.

I donít know I just feel like itís finally time for this team to step up and go for it and our 2nd line is clearly missing that one last ingredient to become extremely dangerous giving us two top lines to somehow defend against. My two cents.
Old 11-02-2019, 11:45 AM   #5179
Jiri Hrdina

Exp:

Quote:
Brodie, Frolik (50%), Dube, Gillies, 2021 1st, 2020 3rd for Hall feels like it could be at least considered as it gives the Devils two more prominent players they could flip at the deadline for even more futures to add to Dube, Gillies, 21 1st and 20 3rd.
Those are not the type of deals that get you a guy like Hall. It's just a bunch of stuff with only two actual decent pieces (Dube and 2021 1st).
Brodie: Pending free agent that they could flip I guess. Let's say he's a worth a 2nd
Frolik: Pure cap dump. No or negative value
Gillies: Zero value
2020 3rd: Meh.

So basically it's Dube, 2021 1st and 2nd (Brodie value).

Dube is a fine prospect but probably tops out as a good 3rd liner.

The conversation probably starts with Valimaki+1st+2nd (Brodie)

A bunch of stuff.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2019, 11:50 AM   #5180
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Even still if the conversation starts with Vali the Flames need to pony up; the window is now and we missed that opportunity with Iginla even though we did attempt when we traded for Jokinen.