Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-13-2019, 01:45 PM   #3921
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
I actually think if transmountain gets built it's likely to get expanded in capacity pretty quickly after it gets sold to private ownership.
How?
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 04:12 PM   #3922
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
How?
By adding pump stations. Flow rate through a pipe varies based on pressure drop. If you add more pump stations, you can increase the flow rate without laying new pipe.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 04:28 PM   #3923
Tacopuck
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
By adding pump stations. Flow rate through a pipe varies based on pressure drop. If you add more pump stations, you can increase the flow rate without laying new pipe.
Assuming you have enough wall thickness in the existing steel to handle the extra pressure. Typically with these large pipelines operate fairly close to their MOP (max operating pressure) which would be dictated by the pipe wall thickness installed.
Old 12-13-2019, 04:41 PM   #3924
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacopuck View Post
Assuming you have enough wall thickness in the existing steel to handle the extra pressure. Typically with these large pipelines operate fairly close to their MOP (max operating pressure) which would be dictated by the pipe wall thickness installed.
If you just add pump stations rather than increase the pressure of each existing pump station you can increase flow without increasing MOP. It will increase energy cost per barrel as doubling flow means 4 times the pressure drop.

It also depends on whether pressure drop or errosional velocity was the governing sizing case for the line.

Last edited by GGG; 12-13-2019 at 04:45 PM.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2019, 05:36 PM   #3925
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacopuck View Post
No extra MOP, just extra pressure drop. I saw a document showing they had an expansion planned in advance, but I haven't been able to find it since. I assume they are probably keeping a lid on that possibility.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2019, 11:06 AM   #3926
RedHot25
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/mobile/si...poll-1.4731688

Significant slip in support for UCP over job, economy and budget cuts: poll

Quote:
The UCP government has experienced a major drop in public support over the last two months according to a new ThinkHQ poll out Monday morning.

According to the poll, a majority of Albertans (53 per cent) disapprove of the provincial government’s performance. The poll found 44 per cent of Albertans approve of the performance.

Broken down further, 38 per cent strongly disapprove of the government’s performance while only 16 percent strongly approve.
Quote:
Compared to mid-October, approval for the UCP has dropped 12 percentage points and, according to the poll, the new government is seeing almost identical ratings to what the NDP government had just prior to the spring election.

Last edited by RedHot25; 12-16-2019 at 11:08 AM.
RedHot25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 11:56 AM   #3927
TheIronMaiden
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHot25 View Post

Not surprising. I still stand by my assessment that they will get the really unpopular stuff underway year 1 and 2. By the time year 3 and 4 come around they will throw some bones to their base and gather enough support for another majority. Unless the economy totally ####s the bed before then, which would be a disaster for everyone, politics aside.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 12:33 PM   #3928
TorqueDog
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHot25 View Post

Buyer's remorse despite it being clear as day that Albertans were about to buy a product not fit-for-purpose.

Spoiler!
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 12:40 PM   #3929
edslunch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
Not surprising. I still stand by my assessment that they will get the really unpopular stuff underway year 1 and 2. By the time year 3 and 4 come around they will throw some bones to their base and gather enough support for another majority. Unless the economy totally ####s the bed before then, which would be a disaster for everyone, politics aside.

Pretty standard playbook. I would guess they are surprised by the extent of the backlash but not that there is some.
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 12:54 PM   #3930
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

The poll conducted last week showed over 50% of adults aged 18-34 strongly and generally disapprove of the Kenney government, although the poll (conducted by DART) was among Canadian (not necessarily Albertans).

What that suggests to me is that there is probably substantial disapproval from Albertans in the same age range, but more that the Kenney brand of politics does not resonate with the majority of young adults across the country. I would be wary about getting an endorsement from Jason Kenney to run as a federal leader; it didn't work for Scheer and it may not have much benefit for the next leader.
Ozy_Flame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 02:41 PM   #3931
Roughneck
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

War Room getting into action trying to stop foreign influence from the, *checks notes*, Medicine Hat News.

I have more awareness of this op-ed ( https://medicinehatnews.com/commenta...-joke-at-best/ ) than I ever would have had without the War Room getting involved, so it's definitely proving to be a worthwhile use of tax dollars.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1206620490732687360
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Roughneck For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2019, 03:40 PM   #3932
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck View Post
War Room getting into action trying to stop foreign influence from the, *checks notes*, Medicine Hat News.

I have more awareness of this op-ed ( https://medicinehatnews.com/commenta...-joke-at-best/ ) than I ever would have had without the War Room getting involved, so it's definitely proving to be a worthwhile use of tax dollars.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1206620490732687360
This is the best that the 30 Million Dollar War Room that employs at least 150 Matt Wolf's can come up with?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 03:51 PM   #3933
aaronck
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
This is the best that the 30 Million Dollar War Room that employs at least 150 Matt Wolf's can come up with?
Correct! It probably just gets worse from here
aaronck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 07:12 PM   #3934
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
The war room is working as intended. It’s informing Albertans of all the people who are against them so when other parties talk about doing things that require external support it pushes voters into the arms of the UCP.

Now the war room should be selling all of the advantages of Alberta oil rather than attacking people. It should be positive propaganda at the main funders of the environmental groups in Canada which happen to be Canadian citizens. Instead it’s just being used to create an In vs Out group to lock up votes in future elections.

Last edited by GGG; 12-16-2019 at 07:24 PM.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2019, 12:25 AM   #3935
Roughneck
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Jobs, pipelines, the economy. Dignity and decorum. They have a mandate to do this. $200K for a social media manager is a drop in the bucket compared to what the NDP would have done. Etc.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1206762838577930241
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Roughneck For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2019, 07:19 AM   #3936
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

That video was great, thanks for bringing it to my attention, Matt!
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 08:39 AM   #3937
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Soooo...I have a question. This Matt Wolf guy, is his twitter account his personal one? Is he doing this representing the government, or the UCP? Are we paying him to tweet? Because stuff like below looks pretty partisan, and maybe we should be examining if government employees should be spending their time on partisan activities. I understand why MP's do it, but he was hired. If he is basically in campaign mode for the UCP for 4 years on our dollar, is that proper, or do we already have laws to control this?

Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 09:34 AM   #3938
aaronck
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Soooo...I have a question. This Matt Wolf guy, is his twitter account his personal one? Is he doing this representing the government, or the UCP? Are we paying him to tweet? Because stuff like below looks pretty partisan, and maybe we should be examining if government employees should be spending their time on partisan activities. I understand why MP's do it, but he was hired. If he is basically in campaign mode for the UCP for 4 years on our dollar, is that proper, or do we already have laws to control this?

As far as I can see, he's a hired troll that is working out of the "war room"
and makes just $194,253 to curse at healthcare workers and teachers and defend the UCP online. He may or may not have gotten the plum job by assisting in the Jason Kenny Kamikaze UCP leadership campaign that will no longer be investigated...

https://edmontonjournal.com/news/loc...tical-staffers

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...vies-1.5319521
aaronck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 09:43 AM   #3939
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post

It kind of sounds like a violation if he's being paid by tax payers to continuously campaign for the UCP.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 10:04 AM   #3940
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
It kind of sounds like a violation if he's being paid by tax payers to continuously campaign for the UCP.
His position is one of the most aggravating within that government. He basically gets paid almost $200K a year to argue on Twitter and other social media platforms. Seriously. It's something you could pay someone, right now, $30K to do with the exact same effect.

Why that large amount of money isn't going to helping new tech startups in this province, a much more fruitful venture for this province, is beyond me.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post: