Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-04-2019, 07:36 PM   #3681
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Kenney
“The bigger challenge we have is, increasingly, financial institutions — and this apparently includes Moody’s — are buying into the political agenda emanating from Europe, which is trying to stigmatize development of hydrocarbon energy. And I just think they are completely factually wrong.”
https://globalnews.ca/news/6255402/k...erview-moodys/

Ummm. Ok Boomer....
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 09:20 AM   #3682
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
Why does the right hate Nenshi so much? He seems to be a fiscal conservative with fairly moderate social views. Can they not stand any ounce of progressiveness? Is it part of a strategy to find common enemies and a mayor is an easy target? Is it racism? Seriously Nenshi is the type of guy the conservatives should be courting as a future leader who can win the centre, but instead they drive him away. I don’t get it.
Because every significant candidate he's beaten has been to his "right".

This is currently being exacerbated by the UCP's attempts to download costs onto municipalities and lying about it being rightly called out by Nenshi.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 10:37 AM   #3683
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Province is broke. Cuts need to be made. The green line is going to cost a fortune and come in way over budget. I'm not surprised the province is pissed.
Old 12-05-2019, 11:15 AM   #3684
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
Province is broke. Cuts need to be made. The green line is going to cost a fortune and come in way over budget. I'm not surprised the province is pissed.
The one thing I can't get on board with is how they've gone about the cuts though. I'm fine with them "trimming the fat". But the school funding fiasco is something else entirely.

In general, I think that if they were getting the budget near to balance and maybe not making other questionable decisions along the way (the carbon tax immediately springs to mind), it would be easier to swallow. But when the net result here isn't much further ahead than the NDP projections, it does make you wonder what all that pain is actually accomplishing?

And to be clear, I wasn't in favour of the carbon tax to begin with, and yeah that's a major plank of their election platform. It's not so much that particular tax, but the idea that they're cutting government revenues at this point that's questionable. Obviously that hasn't gone over well with Moody's and the credit downgrade either.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2019, 12:25 PM   #3685
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wexit folks
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlameOn For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2019, 12:32 PM   #3686
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeeeeah... there's going to need to be some regulation put in ASAP about deepfakes. That's a little disturbing.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2019, 12:58 PM   #3687
aaronck
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
After the huge tax giveaway, they're taking it out on essential services...
No positive way to spin this really, Kenny campaigned on bringing back jobs, and he's chasing them out of the province by the 1000s. If the province is broke, why take an estimated 4 BILLION dollar gamble on reviving something that may never come back to what it was banking on a trickle down economic theory that is proven time and again to not work? And after that, the Oil companies are still exiting Alberta- But yes, it's the Green line that is the problem
aaronck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 01:28 PM   #3688
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronck View Post
After the huge tax giveaway, they're taking it out on essential services...
No positive way to spin this really, Kenny campaigned on bringing back jobs, and he's chasing them out of the province by the 1000s. If the province is broke, why take an estimated 4 BILLION dollar gamble on reviving something that may never come back to what it was banking on a trickle down economic theory that is proven time and again to not work? And after that, the Oil companies are still exiting Alberta- But yes, it's the Green line that is the problem

Because its clear he's not a smart man, or operating under smart policies. From the tax break (reduced revenue), losing out on the carbon tax income (I hated it too, but its coming back and not to us), the "we can't afford the luxury of diversification" fiasco, the clear increase in the cost of everyday services to Albertans directly tied to this governments decisions (rate cap lifts on utilities, insurance, tuitions, etc), the cuts to the most vulnerable of individuals (AISH, mental health services), the cuts to what should be backbone services in any economy (health care, education), they have shown they DO NOT CARE about Albertans in any way shape or form.

The most telling of the quotes was the one about not doing his job right if there's no protests. The sheer arrogance that he can sit here and play hardline on everyone elses dime is appalling, and then imply that his position is one intended to draw criticism to be a marker of success is other worldly.

He asks the unions to "work with him" and not be angry, but he's shown that he's unwilling to take that same approach. The ramming through of bill 22, skirting accountability. He's power mad, he feels he was given a mandate to do whatever the #### he wants. This is still a democracy, he should not and does not have dictatorial absolute power, yet he's playing and manipulating the system as though he does. And the fact he's completely tone deaf to the ever increasing faction of former UCP supporters who want him to pump the brakes shows that Kenney is power drunk. This is unfortunately going to get much worse for EVERYONE before it gets better
Old 12-05-2019, 01:44 PM   #3689
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Alberta Justice Minister Doug Schweitzer announced Wednesday that small and rural communities will start paying for RCMP in 2020. Until now, policing costs have been covered by provincial and federal governments for communities with populations under 5,000.
Those communities will start paying 10 per cent of their policing costs next year, 15 per cent in 2021, 20 per cent in 2022 and 30 per cent in 2023.
“It’s going to have to be made up someplace, and we don’t believe we have enough services that we could cut to cover it. So taxes and utilities have to go up to cover it,” Redwater mayor Mel Smith said.
https://www.thestar.com/edmonton/201...ise-taxes.html

By the time the UCP is done we won't have any need for a provincial government at all, they will have downloaded everything to municipalities. Hope y'all like property taxes!

Also, #### these guys.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2019, 01:56 PM   #3690
GordonBlue
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post

By the time the UCP is done we won't have any need for a provincial government at all, they will have downloaded everything to municipalities. Hope y'all like property taxes!

Also, #### these guys.
hey corporate Jay. care to defend the UCP on this one?
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 01:59 PM   #3691
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can sort of understand voting for the UCP (I didn’t) but I have a friend who is new UCP MLA and I think he sold his soul to the devil.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 02:12 PM   #3692
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
I can sort of understand voting for the UCP (I didn’t) but I have a friend who is new UCP MLA and I think he sold his soul to the devil.

Does he vote for his constituents interests or Kenney's?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 02:39 PM   #3693
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Yeeeeah... there's going to need to be some regulation put in ASAP about deepfakes. That's a little disturbing.
How could anyone be duped by that? The hands were obviously too big.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 03:11 PM   #3694
TheIronMaiden
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Also, #### these guys.
Very interested to hear considering this information.

Quote:
The crime rate is 38 per cent higher in rural Alberta than it is in urban areas, according to a report released Tuesday by Statistics Canada.
Quote:
Despite the growing gap between the rural and urban crime rates, both have fallen over the past 10 years.

In rural areas, the crime rate has dropped by 13 per cent, and in urban areas it is 19 per cent lower than it was in 2009.

The report says the rates for homicides and several other violent crimes — such as firearms offences, aggravated assault and sexual crimes against children — were much higher in rural areas than in urban settings.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...er%20100%2C000.

Quote:
A year after the province invested $10 million in the RCMP to fight rising rural crime rates, a recent report shows the initiative is working.

Since the province launched a seven-point plan in 2018, property crime rates have dropped by 9.8 per cent in rural detachments and another 6.1 per cent in municipalities, according to the report.

This drop, Mounties say, is directly due to the increased funding.

“Its reversal from an increase,” said Supt. Gordon Sage, assistant district officer with the RCMP’s southern Alberta district. “Previous years we’ve seen increases, so usually it takes a lot to reverse that effect.

https://calgarysun.com/news/crime/re...s-put-in-place

Last edited by TheIronMaiden; 12-05-2019 at 03:13 PM.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 04:08 PM   #3695
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Does he vote for his constituents interests or Kenney's?
Kenney’s, of course. I’m not sure he has a choice on most issues.

He’s a former city councillor who says he doesn’t have to analyze issues to decide how to vote anymore. 🤯
The Following User Says Thank You to MoneyGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2019, 04:11 PM   #3696
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

^
Well that's...just...great.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 04:13 PM   #3697
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, I respected him as a councillor until he sold his soul.
Old 12-05-2019, 04:15 PM   #3698
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't get politicians. Is there some fear of being a one-term wonder or what? Just work for your constituents for 4 years and if you were good enough, maybe they'll vote you in again next year, regardless of your party affiliation. A lot of people don't even work at the same company for 4 years, so if you don't get re-elected just move on.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2019, 04:18 PM   #3699
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
Kenney’s, of course. I’m not sure he has a choice on most issues.

He’s a former city councillor who says he doesn’t have to analyze issues to decide how to vote anymore. 🤯
Sounds like a guy who campaigned for a steady paycheque. I hope his constituents know he's freeloader. Maybe we should tell Travis Toews, he seems to like cutting the fat
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 05:30 PM   #3700
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Also, #### these guys.
This is a good thing. Outside of equalization taxes should be collected and administered as close to the user as possible.

Municipalities should be given more tax powers rather than just a wealth tax.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote