Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2019, 08:14 PM   #1901
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Where exactly has this talk come of Boston willing to move Benintendi? He's a damn good player with a high ceiling. Would the Jays move Bichette? Benintendi is going nowhere anytime soon so much so it's fantasy land to even discuss.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 10:04 AM   #1902
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Read the fangraphs article. Ownerships wants them below the cap threshold, and up till now it's looked like they might have to trade Mookie to do it (which is crazy). This is another option that wouldn't hurt the team as much.

They have really painted themselves in a bit of a corner.
Old 12-14-2019, 02:18 PM   #1903
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can't see the Bosox trading Benintendi, but if they do I'd be even more shocked if it was in division.

As a fan though, I'd love to see the Jays take on Price's full contract if it meant getting Benintendi. But hey, it's not my money. Talk about filling a need. Price when healthy would still be the Jays best SP for at least the 1st year of the deal, just over paid.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2019, 12:36 PM   #1904
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kluber to the Rangers for Deshields & Emmanuel Clase?

WDF?

Maybe I'm out to lunch, but why can't the Jays beat that offer?
Old 12-15-2019, 12:46 PM   #1905
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Kluber to the Rangers for Deshields & Emmanuel Clase?

WDF?

Maybe I'm out to lunch, but why can't the Jays beat that offer?
I can sort of see it. Kluber is coming off a season where had a broken arm, strained oblique, his numbers were awful last year, plus he's a free agent after this coming season.

Edit: Emmanuel Clase looks to be a pretty decent young arm too. 21 years old, fangraphs has his fastball at 80/80. Definitely not a throw in.

Last edited by flames_fan_down_under; 12-15-2019 at 12:50 PM.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 12:47 PM   #1906
flamingred89
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ohhh they can. And with Atkins connection to Cleveland you’d think they’d have the inside track for a deal like that.... I mean, who’d want a 2 time Cy Young winner on a friendly contract?
flamingred89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 02:04 PM   #1907
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I mean yeah, the Rangers get a real chance at a Kluber bounce back for basically an arb eligible replacement level outfielder and a young reliever. Live arm sure, but a reliever none the less.

Jesus Atkins
Old 12-15-2019, 02:43 PM   #1908
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Hey I am all for bashing Atkins; especially lately. But there are 28 other teams that could have beat that offer too, a number of those teams desperate for help at starting pitching, I think a lot of managers are spooked by his age, the injury and his very bad numbers last year.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 02:52 PM   #1909
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames_fan_down_under View Post
Hey I am all for bashing Atkins; especially lately. But there are 28 other teams that could have beat that offer too, a number of those teams desperate for help at starting pitching, I think a lot of managers are spooked by his age, the injury and his very bad numbers last year.
True, but I'd be more spooked by sending out a rotation where Roark is the #1 haha

Ah well. I'm just choked because I had hoped the Jays would take the risk on Kluber right from the start of the off season.
Old 12-15-2019, 06:24 PM   #1910
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bumgarner signs with Diamondbacks. 5Y/85M.

Likelihood that Ryu or Keuchel sign with the Jays got a little lower, as there are a half dozen teams needing a front of the rotation starter, and those are the last 2 available.

Trade or bust.
Old 12-16-2019, 07:03 PM   #1911
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Honestly, the longer this goes the more it looks like the only way the Jays will get to add a 2 or 3+ WAR pitcher is to trade for Price and hope he stays healthy.

The Red Sox need to clear salary to avoid the luxury tax and the Jays can afford to pay $30+ million for a ~3 WAR pitcher.

Happ is another cheaper option, and hope he bounces back to 2+ WAR
Old 12-16-2019, 09:38 PM   #1912
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's Shatkins, they'll have a hope and prayer the prospects get it done with little to no high end (high price) veteran support. And continue to load up on tweeners

Last edited by Samonadreau; 12-16-2019 at 09:40 PM.
Samonadreau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 06:21 AM   #1913
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samonadreau View Post
It's Shatkins, they'll have a hope and prayer the prospects get it done with little to no high end (high price) veteran support. And continue to load up on tweeners
Well, that's mostly because only tweeners will sign with the Jays right now.

If I'm a high end free agent and I want to win, I'm not signing in Toronto until they prove they can be a winning team in a division with the Yankees, Red Sox and Rays all on the up swing.

I can go elsewhere, have a much better chance at winning, plus still get paid a crap load of money too. The Jays would have to overpay me an astronomical amount more than anyone else to get me to go there.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2019, 07:05 AM   #1914
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Well, that's mostly because only tweeners will sign with the Jays right now.

If I'm a high end free agent and I want to win, I'm not signing in Toronto until they prove they can be a winning team in a division with the Yankees, Red Sox and Rays all on the up swing.

I can go elsewhere, have a much better chance at winning, plus still get paid a crap load of money too. The Jays would have to overpay me an astronomical amount more than anyone else to get me to go there.
Agreed, until Jay's show that they will spend the higher end free agent's won't sign.

While the Jay's have solid pieces to build around, direction of this club is unknown (i.e. are they going to tank for another 1 to 2 years....)
flambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 07:53 AM   #1915
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why are the Jays not all in on Betances? He wants a 1 year deal . Give him the most $, hope he crushes the first half and trade to a contender.

If the Jays could turn Giles and Betances into more prospects the year would already be a success
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jason14h For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2019, 07:56 AM   #1916
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Even though AA is a terrible GM at least his teams are exciting and make the playoffs in a short window.

I'd rather be terrible his way than bad this way

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 08:00 AM   #1917
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can anyone tell me why Shatkins tendered a new contract to Brandon Drury?

This year the utility infield spot should be going to an out of options guy like Richard Urena or a rule 5 guy in Santiago Espinal. Not that I'm high on Urena or know anything about Espinal's upside, but Drury is what he is and his services are really not needed on this team anymore.

Last edited by Karl; 12-17-2019 at 08:09 AM.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 08:38 AM   #1918
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
Can anyone tell me why Shatkins tendered a new contract to Brandon Drury?

This year the utility infield spot should be going to an out of options guy like Richard Urena or a rule 5 guy in Santiago Espinal. Not that I'm high on Urena or know anything about Espinal's upside, but Drury is what he is and his services are really not needed on this team anymore.
Guessing Drury is a utility player next season, he can play multiple positions.

Personally I would rather see Drury on the team than Urena.
flambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 08:52 AM   #1919
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flambers View Post
Guessing Drury is a utility player next season, he can play multiple positions.

Yuck.

Thing is, Espinal and Urena can also play multiple positions too. This team almost certainly isn't going to to anything but fill out the bottom feeders in the standings this season.

So why waste another year to find out that a soon to be 28 year old Drury is likely still nothing good just like in previous years rather than see if Rule 5 guy Espinal could actually become something decent or find out one last time what they can get from playing Urena as the utility middle INF?

I'd rather give those 2 a chance rather than waste another one on Drury, even if it means that Espinal is no better, or even if Urena still can't discern much of what is a strike and what is a ball at all. It's not like Drury has much better strike zone awareness himself.

Last edited by Karl; 12-17-2019 at 08:59 AM.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 09:31 AM   #1920
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flambers View Post
I wouldn't. Drury can't play shortstop or CF... so he can't play any demanding position and he doesn't hit well enough to be a bench bat.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Parallex For This Useful Post: