Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-14-2019, 08:22 AM   #681
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Having just re watched every Star Wars film over the past few weeks in prep for episode 9 I can confirm that Episode 8 is a mess. Even The Phantom Menace at least had purpose... and a wicked light saber fight.

I just really struggle to find anything enjoyable in that movie. Maybe the classic Yoda part operated by the original Yoda puppeteer Frank Oz?

And even if you can focus on Rey and Ren and the Luke parts, it’s all punctuated by this incredibly annoying and seemingly trivial side quest with a host of characters that I just am not invested in.

And this isn’t a I hate rose campaign, it’s just that I don’t care about her character at all. That whole part just rips the movie apart. And then there’s what’s going on with the Resistance as a whole, it just... seems so pointless.

Like take that whole movie out and just have a five minute clip of Rey being trained by Luke and you basically have the same effect on the overall story.

Last edited by GreenLantern; 12-14-2019 at 08:25 AM.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GreenLantern For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2019, 09:39 AM   #682
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Sweet. I've always felt that the lack of Jeeps was a big hole in Star Wars.
Lack of Jeeps is just unforgivable.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 09:59 AM   #683
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Ugh, seriously? Did you avoid any and all Star Wars discourse for two years, just to dredge this up a week before the new movie comes out and we were all finally talking about something else? Now it’s been twenty posts going over all the same old tired stuff.

Let’s move on people. There’s nothing to be said about TLj that hasn’t been said.
Haha. I was thinking the exact same thing. Trolling or oblivious, couldn't decide.
WhiteTiger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 11:49 AM   #684
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’m just praying that there’s no more terrible humour in the new movie. That was absolutely one of the worst parts of TLJ. I couldn’t believe when I heard a “yo mamma” joke within the first 5 minutes of the film.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to N-E-B For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2019, 04:02 PM   #685
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here's a pretty fun interview with Abrams. The guy seems pretty relaxed for someone who arguably has more pressure on him right now than any filmmaker in history. I bet it feels good to finally be finished.

direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 09:18 PM   #686
Cliche
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

https://comicbook.com/starwars/2019/...-rian-johnson/

Quote:
Now here's where J.J. Abrams' opinion takes a serious turn: "On the other hand, it’s a bit of a meta approach to the story. I don’t think that people go to ‘Star Wars’ to be told, ‘This doesn’t matter.’”

https://www.rollingstone.com/movies/...r-wars-912393/

Quote:
Jurassic World director Colin Trevorrow was slated to write and direct Episode IX before you brought J.J. Abrams back in. Is this final entry in the trilogy a particularly hard nut to crack?
Every one of these movies is a particularly hard nut to crack. There’s no source material. We don’t have comic books. We don’t have 800-page novels. We don’t have anything other than passionate storytellers who get together and talk about what the next iteration might be.
This is what happens when they declare the EU to be non-canon. When the comic books are also non-canon. And they ignore the treatments that George Lucas wrote, instead making their own. Real smart to ignore 30+ years of other content created and then to complain afterwards that they have no material.

Would have been nice to see a Rogue Squadron movie but alas..
Cliche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 11:05 PM   #687
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

When they threw away the Legends EU, they threw away some incredible writers, and the new EU just isn't as good or intriguing or Legends. That's not to say that the Legends was perfect, there were lots of terrible books and comics. But they had some great story lines.

On a side note you can't tell me that they didn't rip off the concept of a fallen skywalker from the Legacy of the Force series where um Han and Leia's son Jacen fell to the Darkside and became Darth Caedus, and that Han and Leia's daughter Jaina who was called the Sword of the Jedi ended up killing him. As well Luke's son errrrr Ben Skywalker comes dangerously close to becoming Jacen's apprentice.

They have similar story lines, in that Jacen uses Ben to betray the Supreme Chanceller of the Republic and steps in to basically become the new Supreme Leader.

In the Legends EU they bought Palpatine back using clones and his spirit and he amassed a massive fleet at Byss to retake the republic.

Its funny, i used to buy a lot of Star Wars books, but I've pretty much stopped I picked up the Thrawn trilogy that wasn't bad, but was so boring at times that I almost stopped, I read the Aftermath books and they were ok, but again not that exciting. I read the laughably bad Sith Lords book that had Vader and Palpatine crash on a planet and then get into a buddy cop style adventure.

BTW, I agree they could really modify the Rogue Squadron books, they were good. But after this movie, I'd like Star Wars to go on a loooong movie break, and maybe go back and do something either not related to the Force, or do some serious old republic stuff involving the founding of the Jedi and the first war between the dark and the Light side.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 09:12 AM   #688
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bought my tickets for next Saturday at 7 pm. I like how the release of a Star Wars themed movie has become a Christmas time tradition over the last few years
Old 12-15-2019, 12:24 PM   #689
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
Bought my tickets for next Saturday at 7 pm. I like how the release of a Star Wars themed movie has become a Christmas time tradition over the last few years
Thats how they get you. They own your soul and the souls of your entire family now. Hook, line and sinker.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 03:32 PM   #690
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

https://io9.gizmodo.com/wait-did-j-j...ano-1840444163

Quote:
In a recent interview with Japanese outlet Sora News, Abrams did the standard press junket interview, you know, promoting one of the biggest franchise films ever made and all that. Normal, routine stuff, until the interviewer asked Abrams who his favorite Star Wars character was.

“Han Solo,” is Abrams’s not terribly surprising answer. Then he threw the question back: who’s the interviewer’s favorite? The interviewer responds: Ahsoka Tano, Anakin Skywalker’s apprentice and prominent non-Jedi Force user in Star Wars: The Clone Wars and Star Wars: Rebels.

To which Abrams replied, “Hmmm, Ahsoka, huh? Well then you’ll probably want to watch closely during The Rise of Skywalker.”
Old 12-15-2019, 04:56 PM   #691
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kind of a spoiler but at this point I don’t care.

I foresee tons of fan service in episode 9 to make up for a lack of cohesive story across the sequels.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2019, 05:02 PM   #692
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

For the first time in my adult life, I'm going to skip the Star Wars movie theatrical release. I saw the whole prequel mess in the theatres, but episode 8 was just the last straw for me.

Hopefully episode 9 isn't a complete mess, and if so I can watch it home on 4K. But I'm not going to pay to see episode 9 after the steaming #### pile 8 was.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 06:17 PM   #693
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post

God I hope not, lets leave her to the Clone Wars and hopefully a new animated series with Ashoka and Sabine looking for Ezra in the unknown reasons.

Please don't have the Falcon crossing paths with them and they give each other solemn guy nods as they pass in the night.

Old 12-15-2019, 07:20 PM   #694
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Could be as a flashback, though I am not sure how that could get shoehorned in.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 07:29 PM   #695
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Or why, she'd be a unnecessary add on that would just be a huge fan service. Though I expect that if they were going to do it, it would be part of the advertising.

Unless they go into Palpatine's lair and you see her head on the wall.

Old 12-15-2019, 09:57 PM   #696
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Probably like Ghost in the background in the shot of all the ships, she'll probably just be in the crowd in some scene.

She should get her own movie though.
Old 12-15-2019, 10:18 PM   #697
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wrong thread.

Last edited by direwolf; 12-15-2019 at 10:19 PM. Reason: Wrong thread.
Old 12-15-2019, 10:19 PM   #698
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Now that would be an unexpected cameo!
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 10:19 PM   #699
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Now that would be an unexpected cameo!
Haha. Meant to post that the SNL thread.
Old 12-15-2019, 10:48 PM   #700
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Probably like Ghost in the background in the shot of all the ships, she'll probably just be in the crowd in some scene.

She should get her own movie though.

I really like Asoka as a character especially her portrayal as more mature in Rebels.

There was a book of her time after the republic fell and she debated about whether to get involved or just hide away.

supposedly spoilers for Clone Wars

Spoiler!

Tags
nerd rage