Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Ivrnet

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-09-2019, 05:26 PM   #4221
Doctorfever
Backup Goalie
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
If the choice was Valimaki or Fox, then the trade as it went down is a Flames win.


My point was, what alternatives would the Flames have had in lieu of including Fox? If Carolina would have accepted a second round pick, then the Flames overpaid with Fox. If it was Fox or Andersson, then Flames came out ahead by including Fox.

Or maybe Fox was the target all along for Carolina.

Worded poorly by me.
I think I read on this board a long time ago that the ask from Carolina was Bennett instead of Ferland. Flames wouldn’t give up Bennett, so had to add Fox to the trade to make it work.
Doctorfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 05:26 PM   #4222
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully
 
Textcritic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: back in Chilliwack
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
If the choice was Valimaki or Fox, then the trade as it went down is a Flames win.


My point was, what alternatives would the Flames have had in lieu of including Fox? If Carolina would have accepted a second round pick, then the Flames overpaid with Fox. If it was Fox or Andersson, then Flames came out ahead by including Fox.

Or maybe Fox was the target all along for Carolina.

Worded poorly by me.
Thanks. That clarifies things nicely, and I agree with your premise and valuations. Can you explain you have Valimaki listed as a Flames win "with an asterisk"?
__________________
Dealing with Everything from Dead Sea Scrolls to Red C Trolls

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 05:39 PM   #4223
Strange Brew
Franchise Player
 
Strange Brew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Yeah, that makes more sense, thanks.

Strange Brew, why do you have Valimaki listed as a Flames win "with an asterisk"?
Well I called it a Flames win because Valimaki was more valuable. So it's a Flames win period. Maybe asterisk isn't right, maybe call it a cloud of uncertainty over Valimaki in general.

Appreciate that others explained my position better than I did.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 07:16 PM   #4224
Enoch Root
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: May 2012
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorfever View Post
I think I read on this board a long time ago that the ask from Carolina was Bennett instead of Ferland. Flames wouldn’t give up Bennett, so had to add Fox to the trade to make it work.
Interesting.

Given the choice between Bennett or Ferland and Fox, I am glad it was Ferland and Fox.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 08:42 PM   #4225
Strange Brew
Franchise Player
 
Strange Brew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorfever View Post
I think I read on this board a long time ago that the ask from Carolina was Bennett instead of Ferland. Flames wouldn’t give up Bennett, so had to add Fox to the trade to make it work.
So one year of Bennett going into RFA status, or one year of Ferland going to UFA and two second round picks?

That should create a giant split amongst Flames fans. I'd take Ferland and the picks.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 08:44 PM   #4226
GioforPM
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Springbank
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
So one year of Bennett going into RFA status, or one year of Ferland going to UFA and two second round picks?

That should create a giant split amongst Flames fans. I'd take Ferland and the picks.
I wasn’t too afraid of Bennett’s RFA demands. And if he earned a big raise that’s a good thing, right?
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 08:48 PM   #4227
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully
 
Textcritic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: back in Chilliwack
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
So one year of Bennett going into RFA status, or one year of Ferland going to UFA and two second round picks?

That should create a giant split amongst Flames fans. I'd take Ferland and the picks.
I don’t believe that at the time of the trade Adam Fox’s value was the same as it was when he was traded the following year for two second round picks. With another year of college domination he was almost certainly worth more to Carolina than he was to Calgary when they moved him.
__________________
Dealing with Everything from Dead Sea Scrolls to Red C Trolls

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 09:40 PM   #4228
Strange Brew
Franchise Player
 
Strange Brew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I don’t believe that at the time of the trade Adam Fox’s value was the same as it was when he was traded the following year for two second round picks. With another year of college domination he was almost certainly worth more to Carolina than he was to Calgary when they moved him.
Right but the Flames could have done exactly what Carolina did and hung onto him. It’s not like his development came from nowhere.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 09:41 PM   #4229
Strange Brew
Franchise Player
 
Strange Brew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I don’t believe that at the time of the trade Adam Fox’s value was the same as it was when he was traded the following year for two second round picks. With another year of college domination he was almost certainly worth more to Carolina than he was to Calgary when they moved him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I wasn’t too afraid of Bennett’s RFA demands. And if he earned a big raise that’s a good thing, right?
Agreed. Bennett’s RFA status increased his value relative to Ferland.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 09:51 PM   #4230
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully
 
Textcritic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: back in Chilliwack
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Right but the Flames could have done exactly what Carolina did and hung onto him. It’s not like his development came from nowhere.
True, but since they moved him when they did and considering what they received in return for him at the time, his value was probably never higher for the Flames than it was in Summer 2018.
__________________
Dealing with Everything from Dead Sea Scrolls to Red C Trolls

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 10:23 PM   #4231
Strange Brew
Franchise Player
 
Strange Brew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
True, but since they moved him when they did and considering what they received in return for him at the time, his value was probably never higher for the Flames than it was in Summer 2018.
Yeah Fox’s value only gone up from when he was drafted.

But when you look at what if, you could say that Bennett’s value has gone down since that trade whereas Fox has gone up. So arguably Flames would have been better off trading Bennett. I mean, they could have still dealt Ferland and Fox that summer for a scoring forward and not signed Neal. Imagine that butterfly effect.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 10:46 PM   #4232
Doctorfever
Backup Goalie
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

It’s a tough call. I like Bennett, and am glad to have him over Ferland. I guess if Fox was never going to play a game in a Flames jersey he had to be traded at some point.

I like the way it turned out for the Flames. Ferland is a great player, but concussions are going to end his career early.
Doctorfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 06:06 PM   #4233
TheIronMaiden
First Line Centre
 
TheIronMaiden's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: ATCO Field, Section 201
Exp:
Default Fwiw

https://twitter.com/user/status/1205145855705137153
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:48 AM.

Calgary Flames
2017-18




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Calgarypuck 2016