Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2010, 09:33 AM   #1
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Lost my iPhone, now what?

Like the title says, my iPhone is currently MIA (I know where I left it, but it is no longer there.) Left information with the people there, but I'm not counting on it showing up again. Unfortunately I had temporarily disabled the screen lock two days ago, as I was doing some stuff on it.

Now what? I've already reported it to Rogers (I presume they've suspended service), and I've changed my passwords on my forums & gmail. My work email was also synched on it though.

Can Rogers or my IT guys "brick" it remotely?

I'm also somewhat concerned with the pictures etc that were on it. Would they be saved in iTunes as part of the phone backup?

Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 09:38 AM   #2
theonlywhiteout
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

threads like this make me consider mobile me... you'd be able to see with GPS on me.com where your phone is. 70 bucks a year is a bit expensive for me tho.

Last edited by theonlywhiteout; 11-06-2010 at 10:49 AM.
theonlywhiteout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 09:46 AM   #3
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

I'm pretty sure the pictures sync with iTunes.

Also, for $70/year, the added security you gain with MobileMe is worth it alone. You could have tracked your phone, sent messages to it, remotely locked it and then eventually remotely wiped it.

The security stuff is just a small feature of MobileMe. When you throw in all the other features, it becomes even more of a no-brainer.

Edit: (70/year = 5.83/month = 19 cents/day)

Last edited by FanIn80; 11-06-2010 at 09:50 AM.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FanIn80 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2010, 10:26 AM   #4
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Mobile Me is $109 per year in Canada. You can get a 60 day free trial.

I've been using it and I love it. Aside from the security stuff I have my calendar synced with my phone and my wife's phone and her MacBook and my iMac. Makes coordinating schedules on the fly much easier.

I sync my contacts, bookmarks and mail between my devices iMac, iPhone and iPad as well. It's well worth the expense and you won't notice it over the course of the year.

Your photos should be in iTunes.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2010, 12:35 PM   #5
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Whoops. I guess it is $109 on it's own. I bought it for $69 with a Mac and haven't really been paying attention to the rollover.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 12:40 PM   #6
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

If you were synching work email via ActiveSync (ie. if it did push email), yes, your IT people can initiate a remote wipe.
Old 11-06-2010, 01:22 PM   #7
theonlywhiteout
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Mobile me is cheaper when you buy it with your phone or new mac product

I'm trying out the free 60 day trial, i think its about the same savings as signing up with your phone but with this if i decide after 2 months i dont care for the service ill simply not continue with it.
theonlywhiteout is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to theonlywhiteout For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2010, 01:25 PM   #8
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks for all the information, I think I've got the mail covered; the few messages left on the device from Gmail shouldn't contain anything useful, and IT initiated a remote wipe of the work email.

KTrain, where in iTunes would I look, or are they recovered through a restore?

Speaking of restore, I now need a new iPhone fairly quickly. Will Rogers let me "upgrade" to a new iPhone 4G (I'm 28 months into my contract)?
Old 11-06-2010, 02:04 PM   #9
ma-skis.com
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse View Post
Speaking of restore, I now need a new iPhone fairly quickly. Will Rogers let me "upgrade" to a new iPhone 4G (I'm 28 months into my contract)?
probably, you'll need to figure out how to get to retentions though otherwise they'll make you buy out your contract and start a new one.

If you can get to retentions they might help you out waive your fee and sign you up for another contract, if you're really tricky, you can probably get a better plan too. check the retentions deal we have here for some ideas and redflagforums.com for some more on how to get this.
ma-skis.com is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ma-skis.com For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2010, 02:37 PM   #10
Bob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Rogers Hardware Upgrades (HUP) are every 24 months--the most generous of any carrier, I believe. Assuming you didn't do any other upgrade in the past 2 years, you should qualify no problem for a $500 discount off an iPhone4. You can check on the Rogers website if you're eligible, or call in.
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bob For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2010, 06:17 PM   #11
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well, that sounds promising on the chances of getting a replacement. A bit worried about the supposed tight supply of iPhone 4's though, I need a new one relatively quick. Can anyone comment on current stock levels?
Old 11-06-2010, 08:08 PM   #12
FlamesKickAss
Franchise Player

Exp:

i got my iphone four at 24 months so you should be good without going through retentions, but its going to be tough to find
FlamesKickAss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 08:19 PM   #13
mykalberta
Franchise Player

Exp:

iPhones cannot be locked remotely as you check your work email via webmail not not via a company's on servers. The only thing to do is reset your login password as the email wouldnt work on that device going forward (microsoft products) - not sure what can be done if you have Apple email servers.

MobileMe as already suggested is the only recourse.

Last edited by mykalberta; 11-06-2010 at 08:23 PM.
mykalberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 12:21 AM   #14
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykalberta View Post
iPhones cannot be locked remotely as you check your work email via webmail not not via a company's on servers. The only thing to do is reset your login password as the email wouldnt work on that device going forward (microsoft products) - not sure what can be done if you have Apple email servers.

MobileMe as already suggested is the only recourse.
For those people running Exchange 2007, you can use ActiveSync, which will allow remote wipes. There is also a limited function ActiveSync for Exchange 2003, but it might not have this function. As understand it, with Exchange 2000, it is pretty much only possible to check email on the iPhone through something like OWA or an IMAP connection, so it certainly isn't possible in that case.

edit: A quick google search shows that it is possible to do a wipe with Exchange 2003.

Last edited by Rathji; 11-07-2010 at 12:29 AM.
Rathji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 07:55 AM   #15
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

If all MobileMe did was the find/erase feature, I'd still pay $100 for it. So nice if you have multiple phones in the house too ... no more "hey where are you?" text messages necessary.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 08:00 AM   #16
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse View Post
Thanks for all the information, I think I've got the mail covered; the few messages left on the device from Gmail shouldn't contain anything useful, and IT initiated a remote wipe of the work email.

KTrain, where in iTunes would I look, or are they recovered through a restore?

I looked into it and I guess the files are stored as encrypted files so it won't be as easy as copying them and moving them to another file.

When you get your new iPhone and plug it into iTunes it will ask if you want to restore your backup files. You'll get them back on your new phone then.

Last edited by KTrain; 11-07-2010 at 10:43 AM.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2010, 08:53 AM   #17
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Mobile Me is definitely worth the money, especially if you get the family pack and share the cost.

But as far as I know, the photos in your camera roll aren't backed up when you sync. You need to import them into something like imovie or transfer them manually.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 09:16 AM   #18
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

I take it from this message from my IT dept that my phone has been totally bricked?

Quote:
The remote device wipe has completed successfully.

The remote device wipe initiated on 11/6/2010 11:52:40 AM is complete.

Device type: iPhone
Device ID: Appl83832JJ8Y7K
Old 11-08-2010, 12:23 PM   #19
csnarpy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Damn....

Well at least I have a fancy paperweight....

csnarpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 01:02 PM   #20
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think it's stupid that you have to buy Mobile Me to get access to features on the phone that are locked to you unless you pay Apple a hundred bucks a year. Lots of the features of Mobile Me are available from other companies and they are free. The Find my Phone and other remote features should be available to everyone. /rant
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote