Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2024, 01:27 PM   #21
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lots of your ideas involve massive amounts of digging (underground bunker). Are we sure you’re not one of those mole people?
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 01:27 PM   #22
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
I'm a minute or so deep into that and it's ridiculous. Who is this dipsht?

He's a comedian that makes fun of people who have podcasts. He has done about 20 or so of them. It's to be taken as seriously as this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 01:29 PM   #23
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
So, skydiving in a pod.
Hmmmm. Damn, nik. That's probably the better way to do this. I fricken love it!!

Edit: Long-term I wonder if that's more expensive to operate? We'll have to crunch some numbers. I'm not much of a miner, so I don't know what costs are involved in the big shaft situation, but maybe we don't even have to worry about a shaft if we just build something off the side of a huge cliff?
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 01:32 PM   #24
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
I want to float in the air; not fall from the sky. I think my invention offers something significantly different from skydiving.
Your invention won't be a box-of-weightlessness, it'll be a box of somewhat less weight since the box itself will suffer from the same issue as skydiving.. it'll be falling at terminal velocity.

Even if you somehow pulled a vacuum in the tunnel (very dangerous) you'd still be falling at whatever the terminal velocity of the friction of the retention mechanism of the box in the hole results in (which will be less than freefall).

The only way would be to add acceleration to the box via whatever it's mounted to.

If you wanted to do this for say 2000m you'll end up at the speed of sound or more.

And it'd last for about 20 seconds.

So you'll get the experience of the vomit comet for about the cost of a Falcon 9.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2024, 01:33 PM   #25
photon

Exp:

I bet going to space would be cheaper.
Old 03-13-2024, 01:36 PM   #26
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Your invention won't be a box-of-weightlessness, it'll be a box of somewhat less weight since the box itself will suffer from the same issue as skydiving.. it'll be falling at terminal velocity.

Even if you somehow pulled a vacuum in the tunnel (very dangerous) you'd still be falling at whatever the terminal velocity of the friction of the retention mechanism of the box in the hole results in (which will be less than freefall).

The only way would be to add acceleration to the box via whatever it's mounted to.

If you wanted to do this for say 2000m you'll end up at the speed of sound or more.

And it'd last for about 20 seconds.

So you'll get the experience of the vomit comet for about the cost of a Falcon 9.
Oh man, really? I mean 20 seconds would be neat, but I don't know if you could find a 2000m mountain. Like, Ha Ling is 800m from valley floor to peak, I think.

Also, I don't understand the rest of what you said, but I trust that you know what you're talking about. Sounds like I wouldn't be floating inside the box?
Old 03-13-2024, 01:37 PM   #27
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
I bet going to space would be cheaper.
If it was just for me to do once, probably, but my thought was this would be an attraction that would operate for a few decades and serve 10s of thousands of people.
Old 03-13-2024, 01:40 PM   #28
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gravity! Thinks its so tough and that we need to respect it's authority! Welcome to Human Ingenuity Bitch!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 01:40 PM   #29
photon

Exp:

Yeah I don't know in general how tall mountains are.

And making a vertical shaft the size of a small room to the tolerances required sounds like an expensive problem.

You wouldn't be floating inside the box since the box wouldn't be falling at 9.81m/s2, it'd be falling at some rate slower than that due to air resistance or due to friction with the rollers or whatever is stopping it from wildly flopping down the tunnel. You'd feel weight to the degree of the difference between that slower rate and 9.81m/s2. Until it hit terminal velocity and stops accelerating, then you'd feel full weight again.

Basically the same experience as an elevator just more extreme.
Old 03-13-2024, 01:41 PM   #30
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is the elevator that goes up (down?) also going to momentarily mimic that weightlessness?
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 01:43 PM   #31
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah I don't know in general how tall mountains are.

And making a vertical shaft the size of a small room to the tolerances required sounds like an expensive problem.

You wouldn't be floating inside the box since the box wouldn't be falling at 9.81m/s2, it'd be falling at some rate slower than that due to air resistance or due to friction with the rollers or whatever is stopping it from wildly flopping down the tunnel. You'd feel weight to the degree of the difference between that slower rate and 9.81m/s2. Until it hit terminal velocity and stops accelerating, then you'd feel full weight again.

Basically the same experience as an elevator just more extreme.
Ahh, yeah, I guess. Maybe if you made it really pointy on the nose and then there was a little jetblaster on the back to accelerate to 9.81m/s2? Also I hear you on the tunnel. Not sure why I didn't think of it originally, but it'd be way better to do it off the side of a cliff. I think there's a good mountain just outside of Banff for this.
Old 03-13-2024, 01:43 PM   #32
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wouldn't it be easier/more accessible to build into a building?

This reminds of the slide that astronaughts can use to escape the launch pad if need be.
Old 03-13-2024, 01:44 PM   #33
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post
Wouldn't it be easier/more accessible to build into a building?

This reminds of the slide that astronaughts can use to escape the launch pad if need be.
No, dude, buildings are hilariously small compared to mountains. They're just not tall enough.
Old 03-13-2024, 01:44 PM   #34
photon

Exp:

Quote:
If it was just for me to do once, probably, but my thought was this would be an attraction that would operate for a few decades and serve 10s of thousands of people.
Kinda like the suborbital rocket rides?

I bet the cost of developing and running a suborbital rocket would be less than the mountain elevator drop.
Old 03-13-2024, 01:45 PM   #35
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
No, dude, buildings are hilariously small compared to mountains. They're just not tall enough.
Yeah but you could dig underneath too.

I dunno we all know it's insane. Seems like something North Korea would start and never complete.
Old 03-13-2024, 01:47 PM   #36
photon

Exp:

Quote:
Ahh, yeah, I guess. Maybe if you made it really pointy on the nose and then there was a little jetblaster on the back to accelerate to 9.81m/s2? Also I hear you on the tunnel. Not sure why I didn't think of it originally, but it'd be way better to do it off the side of a cliff. I think there's a good mountain just outside of Banff for this.
A small thing with thrust that can do a controlled decent sounds a LOT easier than a tunnel. Like an airplane

Like the parabola phase of the vomit comet ride.

AND with an airplane you aren't limited by the height of a mountain. And you can be weightless for twice the time since you're in freefall going up and down.
Old 03-13-2024, 01:50 PM   #37
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
A small thing with thrust that can do a controlled decent sounds a LOT easier than a tunnel. Like an airplane

Like the parabola phase of the vomit comet ride.

AND with an airplane you aren't limited by the height of a mountain. And you can be weightless for twice the time since you're in freefall going up and down.
I am starting to see some holes in my plan. I've been thinking about this since the weekend, too. Almost posted on Saturday night, but thought I'd sit on it for a couple days.
Old 03-13-2024, 01:53 PM   #38
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiggs96 View Post
He's a comedian that makes fun of people who have podcasts. He has done about 20 or so of them. It's to be taken as seriously as this thread.
It's pretty well done. He had me going there. Sadly, it isn't implausible that someone would actually come up with such a ridiculous conspiracy theory.
Old 03-13-2024, 01:54 PM   #39
RockLicker
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Yeah if you're not married to the whole drill out a mountain thing, the most "reasonable" answer is to go underground from a more workable surface location. Like a lot of the potash mines in Sask are in the range of 1100-1500m underground. Maybe repurposing an old potash mine shaft is the answer. You would have to go to Sask though... As mentioned above, terminal velocity is gonna be the real issue here for you.
RockLicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 01:58 PM   #40
photon

Exp:

$10,000 for a vomit comet ride of 5h and 15 parabolas I saw on one site.

That's not completely unreasonable.