Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2022, 04:50 PM   #61
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
I hope the cops go there and give every one of them a ticket.
I sent an email to CPS in 2021 asking for a blitz or at the very least a media campaign to nip this in the bud before it becomes widely accepted practice. They said they would get back to me. Notta.

I just re-sent the email again. Taking no action is basically turning a blind eye to the problem and saying go for it.
Old 06-06-2022, 05:14 PM   #62
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
I hope the cops go there and give every one of them a ticket.
Dangerous driving ticket would be a good start. Or just cruise through with a camera and ticket everyone by mail with a whopping fine.

Media/weather personalities can also be part of the solution (like what Kevin Stanfield is doing here) by bringing this up and broadcasting how dangerous it is. And also by shaming people for doing it.

Last edited by Lubicon; 06-06-2022 at 05:18 PM.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 05:19 PM   #63
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackArcher101 View Post
I sent an email to CPS in 2021 asking for a blitz or at the very least a media campaign to nip this in the bud before it becomes widely accepted practice. They said they would get back to me. Notta.

I just re-sent the email again. Taking no action is basically turning a blind eye to the problem and saying go for it.
CPS have warned citizens quite a few times not to do this. Tweets, posts to their Facebook and news articles (https://globalnews.ca/news/7215603/c...in-overpasses/) are some of the ones I can recall.

People don't listen/care.

This is very hard to police because when it hails our call volume goes nuts and it's not like officers can just drop the calls/emergencies they are dealing with to go to the overpasses because drivers are being stupid and selfish.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2022, 05:32 PM   #64
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post

This is very hard to police because when it hails our call volume goes nuts and it's not like officers can just drop the calls/emergencies they are dealing with to go to the overpasses because drivers are being stupid and selfish.
There's been plenty of faux outrage on the board lately, but this has me pretty torqued.

These clowns are blocking EMS/CFD from getting to where they need to go. Extremely not cool.
Old 06-06-2022, 06:01 PM   #65
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm not sure I agree... It's not like severe thunderstorms are totally unpredictable. And I suspect there are specific underpasses where this is frequently an issue. Having a car ready to be there when the storm you know beforehand is going to happen happens, to make sure traffic keeps moving and no one does this, seems like a reasonable use of resources.

What is the nature of the spike in emergencies that come up specifically during a hailstorm, typically? Is it just injuries from being pelted with ice, or just more traffic accidents?

Anyway, if anyone has any info about whether the NW is getting hit, I'd appreciate it, because I need to drive my car home at some point and I'm not sure when the best time would be.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2022, 06:08 PM   #66
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Quote:
CPS have warned citizens quite a few times not to do this. Tweets, posts to their Facebook and news articles (https://globalnews.ca/news/7215603/c...in-overpasses/) are some of the ones I can recall.

People don't listen/care.

Thanks, it sure didn't catch wind then, I didn't even recall this article.

Disagree on the hard to police. Seems like a slam dunk case for the traffic unit. Thunderstorm incoming? Head to that overpass and park there to prevent it from happening. Ok, if there is already an accident they have to attend, fine. But if they can prevent this from happening, please do!
Old 06-06-2022, 06:15 PM   #67
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

That is some kinda rainfall…

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to surferguy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2022, 06:16 PM   #68
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
What is the nature of the spike in emergencies that come up specifically during a hailstorm, typically? Is it just injuries from being pelted with ice, or just more traffic accidents?
Injuries are one. Traffic accidents. Traffic calls of all natures pop up tenfold (yes, we get calls about the bridges a lot, and do put them up). Smashed property (though I still don't understand why people think CPS can do anything about hail smashed glass, a lot of folks call and insist on CPS going). Alarm calls go through the roof. Hail sets off alarm systems like crazy, esp panic/duress alarms (which can't be ignored/delayed response). Flooding. "Unwanted guests" spike hard, as the hail drives people inside, and store owners don't like that, esp if the people inside are 'undesirable'.
Old 06-06-2022, 06:16 PM   #69
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

What is the nature of the spike in emergencies that come up specifically during a hailstorm, typically?
Building alarms.
Old 06-06-2022, 06:26 PM   #70
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Injuries are one.
Doesn't seem like police need to respond to those ones though specifically.
Quote:
Traffic accidents. Traffic calls of all natures pop up tenfold (yes, we get calls about the bridges a lot, and do put them up).
Right - so aren't resources well spent here on an ounce of prevention vs rushing to scenes afterwards? I mean I guess you have to do both, but having some cars in place prophylactically just seems to make obvious sense to prevent further traffic incidents from happening.
Quote:
Smashed property (though I still don't understand why people think CPS can do anything about hail smashed glass, a lot of folks call and insist on CPS going).
Why isn't the answer, "No?" or "Your smashed glass is not an emergency, we'll send someone when we can but it'll be a while, probably after the storm has passed"?
Quote:
Alarm calls go through the roof. Hail sets off alarm systems like crazy, esp panic/duress alarms (which can't be ignored/delayed response).
I can see this being an issue, for sure... I'm not sure what the solution here is but it seems like there must be one. Like fining people for having police respond to those types of alarms when an immediate response wasn't required, which is already a thing that happens with peoples' alarm systems in other contexts.
Quote:
Flooding.
Again, no clue what the police are supposed to do in response to this.
Quote:
"Unwanted guests" spike hard, as the hail drives people inside, and store owners don't like that, esp if the people inside are 'undesirable'.
Same as broken glass - "this is not an emergency. We'll get to you once we've dealt with the immediately pressing issues".

Just seems like given that this is an annual thing that happens basically the same time every year there should be a system that someone has drawn up to put assets in the places they're expected to be required beforehand, and mitigate the chaos somewhat by doing so. Maybe there is to some extent and I'm misunderstanding you, because from what you're saying it sounds like a bit of a clusterf***.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2022, 06:48 PM   #71
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Maybe there is to some extent and I'm misunderstanding you, because from what you're saying it sounds like a bit of a clusterf***.
Storms are clusterf***.

Honestly I don't know. I don't make the actual dispatch decisions, I'm not the district Sgt. If I had to guess, I'd imagine that because while this problem is annoying and there is some level of danger, it's pretty fleeting. Hail only tends to last 5-15 minutes before moving on. By the time a problem area can be identified, a unit dispatched to it and the unit arrives on scene, the problem has likely taken care of itself already.

However, one can always write to the Traffic dept, and voice specific traffic concerns which are taken into account when deciding on the use of traffic units.
Old 06-06-2022, 08:06 PM   #72
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Had a outdoors date lined up for tonight. I'm glad we didn't go through with that lol.

This is a Monsoon by YYC standards.

Usually it doesn't come down this heavy without hail involved. I'm glad it's all rain.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 08:18 PM   #73
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

I love this thread and Calgary in general because the difference between whining about dry conditions and having to turn on a sprinkler and talking about severe weather events with monsoon-like conditions and overland flooding is about 24-48 hours.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2022, 08:55 PM   #74
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

I love it, hope it rains for a week
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2022, 09:04 PM   #75
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
I love this thread and Calgary in general because the difference between whining about dry conditions and having to turn on a sprinkler and talking about severe weather events with monsoon-like conditions and overland flooding is about 24-48 hours.
The small amount of rain we got on Sunday did a good job of softening up the ground such that it soaked today.

It's stopped in Renfrew, would really like it if more came overnight.
Old 06-06-2022, 11:49 PM   #76
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Weather network saying 25 mm overnight alone. Kinda wonder what we'll be waking up to tomorrow.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 06:44 AM   #77
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's why I never worry about droughts in Calgary or any extended weather conditions. Sure we could go a month or months without much precipitation but I always know the switch can and likely will flip at any time and we go from drought to near flooding. June is always by far the wettest month in Calgary and so far it's looking pretty typical.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 06:52 AM   #78
Nancy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
I love it, hope it rains for a week
For Calgary to only get one week of rain in June would be "getting off easy."
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nancy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2022, 01:30 PM   #79
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

It sure smells fantastic out there now. And the creek near my house is flowing again after drying up a couple of weeks ago. Good stuff.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 01:46 PM   #80
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
It's why I never worry about droughts in Calgary or any extended weather conditions. Sure we could go a month or months without much precipitation but I always know the switch can and likely will flip at any time and we go from drought to near flooding. June is always by far the wettest month in Calgary and so far it's looking pretty typical.
Exactly.

It's never, ever consistent or predictable here, but what you can always bet on is what goes up always comes down.

That switch never stays flipped indefinitely.

Thats why it's dumb to complain that we don't get enough of x type of weather. It always shows up at some point of you're patient (mild, hot, cold, wet, smokey, clear etc)
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote