Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2019, 04:05 PM   #4001
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

5 points is pretty impressive even for a prospects game. Looks good for him but what can Adrian Fox do against the highest level of players? I'm interested to see how he does merely because he was once a Flames prospect.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 04:41 PM   #4002
Dube
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
The running to New York stunt is getting very old.

I don't understand the appeal in the slightest. Especially when you're a lower pick. All the more reason to have loyalty to the team that showed faith in you.
You don’t see the appeal of New York City for a rich athlete? Under 25. American Kid.
Dube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dube For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2019, 04:42 PM   #4003
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dube View Post
You don’t see the appeal of New York City for a rich athlete? Under 25. American Kid.
From wait for it.....New York
dammage79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 05:19 PM   #4004
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

What I don't understand is this: the Rangers have demonstrated repeatedly that they will jettison these kids on a dime.

Tom Erixon played all of 18 games for them before the Rangers used him as sweetener in the Rick Nash trade.

Jimmy Vesey gets to be there three seasons before he's dumped as a 3rd round pick.

Kevin Hayes was dealt away. He got a 1st round pick that the Rangers then used to get Trouba out of Winnipeg.

What they should do is what Trouba did. Play where you're picked early on, be good, and then work towards getting the Rangers to pay you $64 million. Signing an an ELC with them is stupid.

Last edited by GreenLantern2814; 09-08-2019 at 05:25 PM.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 05:50 PM   #4005
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
What I don't understand is this: the Rangers have demonstrated repeatedly that they will jettison these kids on a dime.

Tom Erixon played all of 18 games for them before the Rangers used him as sweetener in the Rick Nash trade.

Jimmy Vesey gets to be there three seasons before he's dumped as a 3rd round pick.

Kevin Hayes was dealt away. He got a 1st round pick that the Rangers then used to get Trouba out of Winnipeg.

What they should do is what Trouba did. Play where you're picked early on, be good, and then work towards getting the Rangers to pay you $64 million. Signing an an ELC with them is stupid.
Every team trades guys who willingly sign with them. You think Carolina is going to show him some strange level of loyalty? They won’t even give their GM a contract

The kid was smart. Looked out for his best interest because GMs sure aren’t going to
neo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 05:50 PM   #4006
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

As others have said, Fox wasn't going to sign here so I don't really care about him being included in the trade. It still is interesting to see how he does though and a 5 point game is worthy of posting about.
Hackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 06:11 PM   #4007
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

A true measure of an organization's drafting is a formula

prospect value + value of graduated + players acquired by prospects

It's complicated, but it's truly a way to measure what teams are doing in building.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2019, 08:56 PM   #4008
Funkhouser
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

That’s great that you are all so mature about it, but I’m not. I believe college players who don’t sign with their club should have to re-enter the draft (like the CHL). I hope this is addressed in the new CBA.

In the meantime, we sold him at a discount when we should be seeing him push for our bottom pairing. I’m confident we could have included another pick/prospect in his place to make the deal.

I’m happy we unearthed a gem, not happy it is sitting in someone else’s display case.
Funkhouser is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Funkhouser For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2019, 09:00 PM   #4009
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkhouser View Post
That’s great that you are all so mature about it, but I’m not. I believe college players who don’t sign with their club should have to re-enter the draft (like the CHL). I hope this is addressed in the new CBA.

In the meantime, we sold him at a discount when we should be seeing him push for our bottom pairing. I’m confident we could have included another pick/prospect in his place to make the deal.

I’m happy we unearthed a gem, not happy it is sitting in someone else’s display case.
If Fox was the key to finally acquire a legitimate top-line RW to perfectly complement Gaudreau and Monahan, then I would say the Flames opened the right door.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 09:06 PM   #4010
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

And in that scenario we could lose a pick or prospect AND Fox when he declined to sign.
Hackey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hackey For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2019, 09:15 PM   #4011
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

This thread being bumped had me have a mild panic attack just seeing "[Trade] Elias Lindholm" in the preview for Fire & Ice.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 09:20 PM   #4012
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Explain “we sold him at a discount”
Based on what?
Jiri Hrdina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 10:22 PM   #4013
mikeecho
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I’m confident we could have included another pick/prospect in his place to make the deal.
Based on?
mikeecho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 10:33 PM   #4014
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

unsigned CHL players re-enter the draft after 2 years and are free agents in another 2 years if they don't sign with their second team.

if players from the CHL want to wait 4 years they can become UFAs just like players going into college or players in europe.

so player movement, at least with respect to UFA status, is the same for all players as i understand it: If you don't want to get paid for four years, you can choose your destination.
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 11:05 PM   #4015
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Based on what?
I think I get what he's saying.

Carolina got a 2nd and a 3rd for him, so in assets the flames moved

1st, 2nd, 2nd (Dougie), +2nd, 3rd (Fox) + Fetland for Hanifin + Lindholm.

In relative terms I think the flames overpaid due to Fox's value but it's still a good trade based on where the team was at and what they needed at the time.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 05:00 AM   #4016
Funkhouser
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Based on what?
Well we can assume his unsigned value is 2 seconds (likely even less when we dealt him as his value has only increased)...Tell me that a signed Fox isn’t worth more. Today I’m sure he could grab a high first rounder or a top prospect
Old 09-09-2019, 05:02 AM   #4017
Funkhouser
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeecho View Post
Based on?
Pure speculation on my part
Old 09-09-2019, 06:44 AM   #4018
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well we can assume his unsigned value is 2 seconds (likely even less when we dealt him as his value has only increased)...Tell me that a signed Fox isn’t worth more. Today I’m sure he could grab a high first rounder or a top prospect
But he wasn’t ever going to sign here.

That’s why Carolina also had to trade him - so the the value we could have received is exactly what Carolina received. A 2nd and a 3rd that could become a 2nd.

And his value would plummet the second he would have went back to school this year if the Flames played hardball. Because then the Rangers know they can likely just sign him for free in the offseason.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 07:18 AM   #4019
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fox had 0 value to the Flames and the fact that they got anything for him is good.

Soon PJ will have 0 value to the oilers, he's said he won't sign there and doesn't want to play there. Teams know that and are circling them in hopes of getting him for as little as possible. Knowing that PJ won't play for the oilers, Holland has very few options; he can take whatever the best offer is and call it a day or he can refuse to trade PJ at all which would admitting the player has 0 value. Even if he signed and demanded a trade, the player has the same value to the team.

Fox wasn't going to play for Calgary, hell I don't think he was ever going to play with anyone but the rangers. Calgary could have just held on to him until he just left the team, it would have probably looked bad on the team and created some talk that could impact future dealings with players and agents. Calgary did the smart thing and cashed in on some value and called it a day. I'm sure every team knew that Fox wasn't going to sign with them and only had eyes for the rangers so no one would give anything for him. He was included in the trade and carolina could have just as easily got nothing for him, luckily for them the rangers gave them some value.

When a player is open about not playing for a team, their value plummets. When a player says they will only play for one team, it drops even further because that players worth is only what the team he wants to play for will give up for him.
Old 09-09-2019, 07:20 AM   #4020
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
This thread being bumped had me have a mild panic attack just seeing "[Trade] Elias Lindholm" in the preview for Fire & Ice.
Yup, it got me too!
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote