Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2019, 10:34 PM   #3981
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The running to New York stunt is getting very old.

I don't understand the appeal in the slightest. Especially when you're a lower pick. All the more reason to have loyalty to the team that showed faith in you.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2019, 10:36 PM   #3982
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fox was definitely a big part of that trade, regardless of where he signed. I agree that it should go down as a win for Flames scouts. Not just any 3rd round pick would have gotten that deal done.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 09:48 AM   #3983
1991 Canadian
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignite09 View Post
People here should welcome his success. Our scouting staff found him later in the draft. Which points to another high end player our team was able to identify with a lower value pick. Shows we have some talented guys looking for "talent" come draft day. Long term success will depend on our scouting staff, and they seem to know what they're doing.
In with you, I've made this comment before, but I hope Fox kills it at the NHL level. This isn't a Martin St. Louis situation where the Flames lost a future impact player for nothing. They got full good value out of Fox by getting Lindholm and Hanafin, for a guy who wouldn't sign anywhere but New York.

Looking at the 2017 prospect ranking, the Flames had Valimaki, Fox, Andersson, Kylington and Kulak in the pipeline. Add in a 24 year old Dougie Hamilton at the time, and that is a solid d core.

Even the fringe prospects that were pushed out the system around that time are still in the NHL or close to it. Stepan Falkowsky, John Gilmour, Tyler Wotherspoon, Brandon Hickey. These guys aren't world beaters, but they all have 1 way or 2 way NHL contracts for next year.
1991 Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 1991 Canadian For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2019, 09:55 AM   #3984
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Yeah I have to agree, even though it didn't work out here, this reflects really well on our scouting talent. Also, we got some serious assets in a trade that didn't even include him playing a single NHL game yet as a draft pick. I'd say that's how you spin hay into gold.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 09:59 AM   #3985
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Nothing like bumping a thread that starts with [Trade] Elias Lindholm... to the top of the forum just to discuss a D-prospect playing in a pre-season game for the Rangers.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 10:00 AM   #3986
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
The running to New York stunt is getting very old.

I don't understand the appeal in the slightest. Especially when you're a lower pick. All the more reason to have loyalty to the team that showed faith in you.
In fairness....it depends.

You can look at it with the blanket statement 'running to New York' but I think you've got to look at the Rangers within each time frame.

At times our defence has seemed deep and more or less set in stone while the Rangers' defence was more porous and open.

In Fox's case he probably looked at the Calgary lineup and felt that he wasnt going to crack it, or at least not anytime soon, so he wanted to go to a team with a weaker D lineup.

Granted I dont know why he felt he couldnt crack it in Carolina.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 10:07 AM   #3987
PugnaciousIntern
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
In fairness....it depends.

You can look at it with the blanket statement 'running to New York' but I think you've got to look at the Rangers within each time frame.

At times our defence has seemed deep and more or less set in stone while the Rangers' defence was more porous and open.

In Fox's case he probably looked at the Calgary lineup and felt that he wasnt going to crack it, or at least not anytime soon, so he wanted to go to a team with a weaker D lineup.

Granted I dont know why he felt he couldnt crack it in Carolina.
Flames and Canes are two of the deepest D corps in the league. For the reason of ‘being able to crack the roster’, I don’t see Carolina being much more appealing than Calgary at all
PugnaciousIntern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 10:08 AM   #3988
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PugnaciousIntern View Post
Flames and Canes are two of the deepest D corps in the league. For the reason of ‘being able to crack the roster’, I don’t see Carolina being much more appealing than Calgary at all
Fair enough, but you can see why Fox would want to go to a weaker team to get into the NHL regularly sooner.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 09-08-2019, 12:03 PM   #3989
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

How many goals did Joe Colborne score in his Avs debut?

Spoiler!

Not saying the same thing will happen to Fox, but sample size is a thing.

Anyone know if Colborne is retired, or attempting a comeback? A quick run through his twitter (sporadic and nothing recent) only tells me that he's a class act and still a Flame at heart.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 12:22 PM   #3990
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
How many goals did Joe Colborne score in his Avs debut?

Spoiler!

Not saying the same thing will happen to Fox, but sample size is a thing.

Anyone know if Colborne is retired, or attempting a comeback? A quick run through his twitter (sporadic and nothing recent) only tells me that he's a class act and still a Flame at heart.
He retired after suffering a concussion while playing in the AHL.
Old 09-08-2019, 12:44 PM   #3991
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Still to this day...

Best. Trade. Ever.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 12:48 PM   #3992
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just over a year since the deal.

The Flames have a first line winger and top 4 D signed for 5 more years at $9.8M combined. The Canes have 2 years of Hamilton at 5.75 and likely 2 2nd round picks.

The Flames won the division and conference in the regular season after missing the playoffs the previous year but lost in the first round in 5 games

The Canes made the playoffs as a wildcard for the first time in 10 years and won 2 rounds before being swept in the conference finals.

Calgary is in a much better position asset wise when you look at the deal. Both teams are coming off improved seasons so no need for doom and gloom in Carolina. Imo if the Canes signed Ferland to the same deal he got in Vancouver and were able to sign Fox the trade would be very debatable but the way things have shook out it is a clear win for Calgary.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 12:53 PM   #3993
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Don’t know why we are still dwelling on Fox.

He can be the next EK65, that doesn’t mean much for us considering he was never going to sign with us.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ForeverFlameFan For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2019, 01:05 PM   #3994
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
Don’t know why we are still dwelling on Fox.

He can be the next EK65, that doesn’t mean much for us considering he was never going to sign with us.
Exactly. I'm past it.

As others have said it's great that the Flames scouting staff found a valuable player in the third round that turned into an asset that helped to get the Flames two core players.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 01:42 PM   #3995
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’m not really seeing anyone dwelling on it. I will find it interesting to see how Fox does seeing as how he was drafted by the Flames.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2019, 02:21 PM   #3996
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
I’m not really seeing anyone dwelling on it. I will find it interesting to see how Fox does seeing as how he was drafted by the Flames.
Not sure on the word dwelling ...

But a bump of the old trade topic based on Fox getting points in a rookie game is certainly not completely moving on!
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 02:39 PM   #3997
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

I'm past it as well. I just wasn't sure where to post it. I thought it might generate some off-season discussion.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 02:43 PM   #3998
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Whats to be past? Fox was an asset when we held his rights and he contributed to the acquisition of impact players currently under contractual control.

Assets are part of every transaction. I'd rather not have Fox right now in exchange for Lindholm and Hanifin.

You have to give to get.

Old 09-08-2019, 02:53 PM   #3999
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Agreed.

But at the same time, screw Adam fox, hope he sucks everywhere he goes.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 03:00 PM   #4000
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
Agreed.

But at the same time, screw Adam fox, hope he sucks everywhere he goes.
It’s tough for me to begrudge Adam Fox. He saw the situation he was in in Calgary pretty clearly, and was proactive about it. By the same token the Flames sold very high on an asset that was already behind another two or three defensemen in the system, and was almost certain never to play a game for the Flames.

It worked out great for everyone. (Maybe less so for Carolina).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post: