Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2013, 11:04 AM   #121
kipperfan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've been considering "cutting the cord" for a while and just decided this weekend I am going to cancel cable a week from today. After extensive research I've found Apple TV version 2 is what I really need, unfortunatley the prices are 2-4X that of a brand new Apple TV3! Still think it is worth it for what I want though - will also be setting up NHL Gamecentre and NFL Game Pass (I know Apple TV doesn't have an app for this, but I will just watch via Airplay) for all my sporting needs. Once I have my Apple TV box setup with all the content I want I foresee this as being even better then cable with more options! I am going to be very happy to ditch the ridiculous $100/mth cable bill too!

Fyodor Dostoevsky - The Brothers Karamazov
kipperfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 11:10 AM   #122
kipperfan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
Also, how much does NHL gamecentre cost?
They haven't released pricing info for this season yet. Last year (shortned season) was $50 and they apparently had way more subscribers then usual. In 2011 I think it was $170, but I am holding out hope that,given the success they had last year, the cost will be somewhere in the $100-$120 neighborhood. But in reality it will probably be in and around $170 price point again.

Fyodor Dostoevsky - The Brothers Karamazov
kipperfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kipperfan For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2013, 11:10 AM   #123
terminator
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quick question about plex channels:

Are they like the regular channels, or do you pick and choose?

Also, can you add a guide?

Thanks
terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 11:11 AM   #124
Jordan!
Jordan!

Exp:

We use 2 apple tv's - with Netflix/Hulu and airplay from various apps takes care of it.

I watch all Diamondbacks and Coyotes games using a DNS address in the Seattle Area.
Jordan! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 12:27 PM   #125
Ace
First Line Centre

Exp:

Apparently unblockus' advantage is they only route certain web pages (i.e. netflix) through the proxy, so it should not affect regular internet usage...
Old 08-12-2013, 02:00 PM   #126
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by terminator View Post
Quick question about plex channels:

Are they like the regular channels, or do you pick and choose?

Also, can you add a guide?

Thanks
Plex channels are like mini hub/apps for example the ctv channel shows me little snippets of individual news sources. If you are looking for live tv there is a standalone plex channel for that which would include a guide and dvr functioning
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 08:30 AM   #127
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Turns out my wife accidentally ordered Amazon Prime at Christmas by letting it go over her free trial, so apparently I have Amazon Prime Instant Video for the next 5 months.

Problem is, I can't figure out a good way to get this content on my TV, Tablet or anywhere really but my browser.

Anyone have any ideas?
Old 08-27-2013, 10:36 AM   #128
shane_c
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Just thought I’d give a bit of an update…..

I am very glad we got rid of cable. It was such a waste of time and money. Initially I had the Terk antenna set up in the closet but the reception was kind of spotty, sometimes it would hold in the 90% range but would really fluctuate and get pixelated if us or the dogs moved around the house. So I decided to set it up in the basement window which just happens to face the direction that I need it to point and it has been steady around 97% since and hasn’t budged. We currently get CBC and CTV which is fine with us and the picture is 100x better than with cable. There’s not always something on but I’ve discovered a few new shows and for the most part have used the extra time to do more productive things like going out for a bike ride.

I had been holding off and waiting for the Roku 3 to come to Canada but gave up a few weeks ago because I saw the Roku 2XS was on sale for $89. Works like a charm and Plex is handy for when I want to watch some online content like Shark Week on Discovery Channel. I’m running the Roku over the Wi-Fi in the house. At first I was having some buffering issues but have since bumped my download speed from 20 mbps to 40 mbps and haven’t had any issues since. Even with the bump in our internet plan it’s still saving us over $50 a month. Apparently I have 90 days to return the Roku to Walmart so if the Roku 3 comes out within that time I may do an exchange and pay a few dollars difference but the Roku 2XS does what I need it to do.

shane_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:01 AM   #129
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I cut the cable 4 years ago.

You'll initially miss live sports, then you'll wonder why you sat infront of a TV watching live sports with the finite amount of hours you have on this planet.
Tinordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 05:39 PM   #130
WilsonFourTwo
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm ready to take the next step, which is probably most people's first step, and cutting the landline as well.

Last week 100% of the calls were telemarketing related on the landline. Even grandma now uses my cell number.

So this will put me in the category of "Internet Only" in my house. Love it.....still get everything I want but the bill is half of what it used to be.

WilsonFourTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 06:12 PM   #131
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinordi View Post
I cut the cable 4 years ago.

You'll initially miss live sports, then you'll wonder why you sat infront of a TV watching live sports with the finite amount of hours you have on this planet.
I mean if you don't like watching sports, you don't like watching sports. Odd comment to make on a Sports related forum, especially coming from someone who posts a lot in the sports section, no?
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2013, 10:17 AM   #132
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I obviously pay for gamecenter and watch HNIC/Olympics on my antenna. My point was that I pared away sports watching for things that I wasn't really a fan of anyway.
Tinordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:54 AM   #133
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I'm usually an early adopter of technology, but I just setup Netflix last night.

Oh my lord. I thought Netflix would help me ease my addiction to TV (I'm sick of coming home from work and watching TV every night).

Anyways, "My List" is already about 500 hours long, and continues to grow every time I log in.

Cable TV is so screwed. Although I'll need to figure something out for sports.
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 11:01 AM   #134
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I just configured XBMC on all my machines including phones and tablets. I now just stream everything from there to my various devices. For some reason my little guy loves watching movies on a phone or tablet rather than the big TV. There are also some tv channels on there as well so other content is available.

The big one is still sports. I have a few things I do to watch but the quality is not the greatest. Not sure there is much I can do about this though.

Haven't had a phone line in years. Always had an extra cell phone so it acted like the home phone. Although I was just able to cancel two of my Rogers lines and I feel like a new man!
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 11:07 AM   #135
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is that game center charge just for the year?
Old 08-29-2013, 11:31 AM   #136
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'm so tempted to cut the cable. I think most shows we watch should be available online through various means. I know it would take some getting used to, but the cable bill is silly considering we don't even watch that much. I do wonder how much I'd miss sports, but if I sign up for Gamecentre, it might not be that bad.

Are there external HD attenas which could sit on a roof or such?
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 02:13 PM   #137
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

I think that mounting the antenna on the roof is overkill. We have ours sitting on a ledge of our stairs and I get great reception.
Old 08-29-2013, 02:23 PM   #138
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

You can always build one in your attic.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/tech...tal-tv-antenna

Old 08-29-2013, 06:31 PM   #139
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
Are there external HD attenas which could sit on a roof or such?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitology View Post
I think that mounting the antenna on the roof is overkill. We have ours sitting on a ledge of our stairs and I get great reception.
It really depends on what part of the city you are in. If you are in Deer Run you better have it on the roof due to distance and terrain. If you live in Tuscany you could probably just use rabbit ears in your basement.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 06:12 PM   #140
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
You can always build one in your attic.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/tech...tal-tv-antenna

Did you build this Rathji? Does it work?
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote