Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-2015, 04:35 PM   #261
1_Flames_Fan
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickMcGeough View Post
Anyone tried Sling TV yet?
I signed up for their free 7 day trial and cancelled. The streaming worked well on my laptop and the app worked fine on my US account Roku 3. They apparently are working on an app for Fire TV as well but I never had a chance to try that. For whatever reason the Disney channels wouldn't stream at all on any device. I tried using the unblock-us and private internet access VPN's and nothing worked to get the Disney content. Wasn't a deal breaker for me but the cost (20$ US/month which works out to about 26-27$ Canadian was just too much for the limited channels and content they were offering. I can't say I would recommend it unless there is a specific channel/s that they are offering that you can't access elsewhere. Possibly if they add more channels or different packages in the future I would reconsider signing up again. Any specific questions feel free to ask.
1_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 09:07 PM   #262
Yellefan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Well with TELUS announcing that they are going to start charging for overages on all of their internet packages later this spring I have decided I've had enough of those guys. I never go over, but I find the idea of it offensive enough that I no longer want to give them my money. I stream a bit but it seems to be more and more as time goes on and I rarely actually turn on my Optik box for anything other than hockey, so it seems like a no brainer to me.

I'm sure Shaw will be right behind them so I think I'll look at one of the other options out there-- Teksavvy seems to have some pretty good internet only deals, does anyone have any recent opinions about these guys? I understand that they also have overage charges if you don't go with their unlimited plans, but they don't seem to be obscene like Telus' planned charges.

Last edited by Yellefan; 02-19-2015 at 09:13 PM.
Yellefan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yellefan For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2015, 11:24 PM   #263
wooohooo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

From talking to my recent installer from both telus and Shaw, I was told they don't really monitor it. It's mainly for the crazy torrenters but who really knows.

I can see the future being pay for use though... Telecoms gotta make money some how.
wooohooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 08:06 AM   #264
Yellefan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Yeah I know they haven't monitored it in the past but Telus has officially announced that starting in March - July depending on where you are they are not only monitoring but also charging for overages.
Old 02-20-2015, 08:14 AM   #265
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellefan View Post
Yeah I know they haven't monitored it in the past but Telus has officially announced that starting in March - July depending on where you are they are not only monitoring but also charging for overages.
Here's the link explaining the changes: http://www.telus.com/en/ab/get-help/...ges/support.do

Sounds like you can go up to 400 GB over your cap, but Telus will charge $5 for the first 50 GB and then $10 for each subsequent 50 GB.

We'll see if Telus follows through with this. Shaw was going to go usage based as well by bumping your service up to the service with the next highest cap for the remainder of a billing period (and then resetting you to your former level each month) if you went over their cap, but I don't know if they ever followed through with it.

Last edited by Finger Cookin; 02-20-2015 at 09:13 AM.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Finger Cookin For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2015, 08:39 AM   #266
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
Here's the link explaining the changes: http://www.telus.com/en/ab/get-help/...ges/support.do

Sounds like you can go up to 400 GB over your cap, but Telus will charge $5 fore the first 50 GB and then $10 for each subsequent 50 GB.

We'll see if Telus follows through with this. Shaw was going to go usage based as well by bumping your service up to the service with the next highest cap for the remainder of a billing period (and then resetting you to your former level each month) if you went over their cap, but I don't know if they ever followed through with it.
Oh wow. Later Telus.

MickMcGeough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 01:52 PM   #267
wooohooo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

At least I don't think Shaw charges for overages. But you can probably guess what's going to happen.
wooohooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 03:56 PM   #268
1_Flames_Fan
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Yup, the big companies starting to charge for bandwidth overages will seriously affect the feasibility of cord cutting.
1_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 05:53 PM   #269
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:
Default Cutting the cord

Not really. I'm an extreme streamer and I think I've got up to 300GB of my 500 on fibre.

Also, Shaw tried this in 2011 and got lambasted for it. Let's see if this one sticks too.

Last edited by kermitology; 02-20-2015 at 06:00 PM.
kermitology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 06:38 PM   #270
kermitology

Exp:

Never mind.. I just looked at my bill.. 513GB last month :P
Old 02-20-2015, 10:30 PM   #271
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitology View Post
Never mind.. I just looked at my bill.. 513GB last month :P

You must stream in 1080?
We stream the majority of what we watch... In evenings anyway - up to 40 hours a week. Watch mostly in 'HD' as designated by Kodi. It is equivalent quality to HD cable, imo.
Usage always under 125GB/month.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 11:08 PM   #272
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

I just checked my usage for the first time, and I'm actually quite surprised how low it is.

If I had to guess, I'd say I watch an hour or two of television a day, all streamed. The odd day I'll binge watch a show for like six-eight hours. So we'll call it an even 15 hours per week.

Also, curious what you guys pay. I pay $69/month for Extreme, 250GB max.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 08:31 AM   #273
kermitology

Exp:
Default Cutting the cord

Until May I'm on a promotional price of $50/month then $100/month for Telus Fibre (100Mbps).

I'm wondering about this actually, my previous months were only around 100GB. This month I got plex up and running fully, wondering if it's related.

Last edited by kermitology; 02-21-2015 at 08:34 AM.
kermitology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 10:16 PM   #274
Yellefan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Well I just signed up with Teksavvy. Unlimited bandwidth for less than I'm paying Telus now. Hookup is Mar3... hopefully I don't regret this.
Old 02-21-2015, 11:24 PM   #275
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just signed up today in Costco for Primus Internet and home phone.
$65 per month for 50mb down, 10 up, unlimited bandwidth. No setup fees, includes modem and unlimited province wide calling.
No idea where or if Primus is available in the west. They piggyback on Bell's service here, apparently.
This offer is locked at that price for 24 months. One can cancel at any time.

We'll see if its as good as it sounds...
Old 02-22-2015, 11:27 AM   #276
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitology View Post
Until May I'm on a promotional price of $50/month then $100/month for Telus Fibre (100Mbps).

I'm wondering about this actually, my previous months were only around 100GB. This month I got plex up and running fully, wondering if it's related.
I assume you are using plex to share local content through your home (not streaming Internet content, like you might with Kodi)? And that you are not accessing your local content remotely?

Assuming the above, provider bandwidth should be unaffected.
Old 02-22-2015, 12:55 PM   #277
kermitology

Exp:

I am accessing plex remotely. Must just have downloaded more than I thought.
Old 02-22-2015, 11:00 PM   #278
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
No idea where or if Primus is available in the west. They piggyback on Bell's service here, apparently.
Phone was way back in the day. I used to use it about a decade ago. IIRC Costco here had an ad for internet not sure it was the same provider but I believe it was.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 06:25 AM   #279
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunkstyle View Post
Phone was way back in the day. I used to use it about a decade ago. IIRC Costco here had an ad for internet not sure it was the same provider but I believe it was.
Yeah... I thought so.
Too bad, a good deal if you need home phone.
There was pricing for internet only too, but not sure how much. Alarm monitoring too expensive without home phone to make it worth dropping it.
Old 02-23-2015, 04:58 PM   #280
HotHotHeat
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was actually getting sorta excited for CraveTV after their announcement today (showtime library), but turns out they tie it to a Telus TV sub. Laaaame
HotHotHeat is offline   Reply With Quote