Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2024, 02:12 PM   #1
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default It's Been 10 Years Since MH370 Went Missing

It has now been 10 years since MH370 went missing.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/world/m...gest-mysteries
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 02:16 PM   #2
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm sure I heard they were going to try and find it again

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 02:24 PM   #3
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Crazy. Still remember that evening. Came home after Islanders-Flames to watch the coverage until early hours. Could never have guessed it would become one of the greatest unsolved mysteries of our day.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2024, 09:15 AM   #4
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’m fascinated with the cost on this and who is paying. It seems a bit of a needle in a haystack endeavor for no real gain.

I don’t think it’s really unsolved:
Copilot wanted to kill himself in spectacular fashion and succeeded. He left evidence behind this was his plan. They know the plane ended up somewhere in the Indian Ocean. Parts have washed up confirming it.

This isn’t like finding the Titanic where there is a known location to search in. The assumed grid is in really deep water and they are going to be looking for much smaller parts. Perhaps I’m just jaded, but I don’t get the need for additional “closure” from the relatives…I guess unless they are conspiracy nut bars and think the plane is somewhere in Siberia or whatever and being held captive for some reason.

Hockey is just a game the way ice cream is just glucose, love is just
a feeling, and sex is just repetitive motion.

___________________________________- A Theory of Ice
FurnaceFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2024, 11:22 AM   #5
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

The conspiracy angle of it being in some random country is a little crazy. There are plausible angles though, for various key individuals not wanting it to be found.
Country - cost. It's expensive and like other have said, no real benefit at this point considering parts have been found
Airline - culpability. There seems to be a lot of anger from the families toward the pilot and if he intentionally did it. If the black boxes are found the airline could be liable
Manufacturer - already I believe they're being sued on the ground of allowing certain features to be shut off. I don't know much else but I don't imagine much good can be in their favor if it's found

Anyway, it's an interesting story still, but it's all but guaranteed to be around Australia. It's still totally unbelievable that a plane could go missing in modern day.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2024, 03:04 PM   #6
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

i believe i had heard that parts did wash up and coincidentaly one of the parts had a number on it which would indicate it was that plane, as someone who does sometimes subscribe to conspiracy theories, i found that interesting. the chance of a part that has a "serial number" washing ashore is interesting. who knows
dirk diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2024, 03:48 PM   #7
SutterBrother
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I found the Netflix documentary really disappointing because it lacked so much detail.

This 1hr 15 min full documentary went super granular, and I really recommend it. There were details like how the co-pilot’s cell phone got a ping - likely as he held it up to a window in a last ditch plea to send a message for help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhkTo9Rk6_4
SutterBrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SutterBrother For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2024, 06:55 PM   #8
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk diggler View Post
i believe i had heard that parts did wash up and coincidentaly one of the parts had a number on it which would indicate it was that plane, as someone who does sometimes subscribe to conspiracy theories, i found that interesting. the chance of a part that has a "serial number" washing ashore is interesting. who knows
Yes, parts have been found, among others a flaperon was found washed up on a beach on Réunion island, a horizontal stabiliser panel was found on a Mozambique beach and a fairing shield from the wing flap was found washed up in Xai Xai, not only are they confirmed to be from a 777 they had distinctive stencilling from Malaysia Airlines so unless they lost another 777 and didn't say anything these broken parts were from MH370.

The new search is trying to use the Indian Ocean currents for the best possible guess where it went down

Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 03:37 PM   #9
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

I remember coming across something about a garbage patch in that vicinity, which they attributed to the Indian Ocean gyre. While I'm unsure of its magnitude and scale, particularly in comparison to phenomena like the emerging garbage continent in the Pacific, I wonder if it could influence the search efforts, aiding or hindering (a needle in a haystack vs. a needle in an ocean.)
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2024, 08:06 AM   #10
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk diggler View Post
Almost every single part on an aircraft has a part number on it, many have batch numbers on them and a high percentage have serial numbers. It's not really a chance thing. Traceability of aircraft parts is one of the many reasons there is such a high cost.

It's not really chance at all.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to speede5 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2024, 06:33 AM   #11
Tsawwassen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here's the thread, https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=135466&highlight=malaysia+flight
Old 03-14-2024, 09:16 AM   #12
J pold
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SutterBrother View Post
I found the Netflix documentary really disappointing because it lacked so much detail.

This 1hr 15 min full documentary went super granular, and I really recommend it. There were details like how the co-pilot’s cell phone got a ping - likely as he held it up to a window in a last ditch plea to send a message for help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhkTo9Rk6_4
I can't recommend this video enough.
J pold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 06:38 PM   #13
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe a dumb question, by why is there an option to manually turn off the transponder on a commercial aircraft?
Old 03-14-2024, 06:45 PM   #14
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Maybe a dumb question, by why is there an option to manually turn off the transponder on a commercial aircraft?
Have you seen a cockpit? Pilots LOVE switches.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 06:56 PM   #15
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anything that can go sparky sparky and start smoking, you want to be able to turn off.

There are plenty of reasons but really it's irrelevant, transponders are for ATC to track cooperative aircraft, for emergency tracking there's ELT and military radar anyway.

The issue here is poor radar coverage over the oceans. If a pilot wanted to kill everyone on board, they can do it no matter what the transponder is squawking
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 08:46 PM   #16
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Anything that can go sparky sparky and start smoking, you want to be able to turn off.
That makes sense. I figured there must be a reason that wasn't jumping out at me.