Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2011, 12:26 AM   #1
LockedOut
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Crysis 2

Game releases on March 22 but there is a multiplayer demo coming out exclusive for Xbox Live Gold members on January 25 that runs till February 4.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6286746...op%3Btitle%3B6

LockedOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 12:34 AM   #2
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

I am worried about this game because technology wise, Cryengine 3 is supposedly a step back from Cryengine 2 because it was designed for console limitations but hopefully it will scale well.

I am also not sure about the whole aliens and alien robots theme. The best thing about Crysis was fighting the Korean army and actual soldiers and feeling awesome in your exosuit going stealthy and picking them off. This one looks like a cookie cutter FPS where you fight an alien invasion in a city.

Multiplayer looks pretty crazy. Could bring an element of arena shooters back to the genre.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 01-23-2011 at 12:37 AM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 03:24 PM   #3
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I am not interested in the slightest. Everything I see from this game looks "meh".

I'll download the MP demo and have a go, but I think it is one of those games that will ride the cotails of it's previous games, which had good graphics but bad gameplay.

I also hate the fact they are going to NYC, EVERYONE is doing NYC now. The jungle was awesome, stick to it or something like the African Sahara.
3 Justin 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 03:08 PM   #4
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Crysis 2 is leaked. A developer build of Crysis 2 containing the full game, multiplayer and the master key for the online authentication has been leaked.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011...ysis-2-leaked/

I'm not interested either. Looks like another cookie-cutter corridor shooter where you fight aliens and alien robots in a ruined city. The best part of the original Crysis (before the aliens arrived) was you spent most of the game feeling like you were Rambo going through the jungle stalking all the North Korean soldiers and there was more openness to how you approached the game.
Old 02-11-2011, 04:40 PM   #5
Esoteric
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm just wondering if it takes less than divine intervention to take a helicopter down.
Esoteric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 04:48 PM   #6
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esoteric View Post
I'm just wondering if it takes less than divine intervention to take a helicopter down.

Seemed to work fine for me in the first game.
Old 02-11-2011, 11:41 PM   #7
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I won't play the game because I was so upset with the demo. I realize it is a demo, but the net-code is completely broken. It either froze my xbox or would exit the match, etc. Regardless of whether they fixed it for the final game, I find it pathetic when you release an online demo where the net-code is broken. Makes me question the quality of the rest of the game.
Old 02-12-2011, 12:44 AM   #8
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

i always considered Farcry and Crysis more tech demo than real games. looking at them strictly as shooters they really feel weak
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 01:19 AM   #9
Roast Beef
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Apparently the game has been leaked.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news...rysis-2-Leaked

If this is true, it is a huge kick to the nuts for Crytek.
Roast Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 01:43 AM   #10
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
i always considered Farcry and Crysis more tech demo than real games. looking at them strictly as shooters they really feel weak
Totally agree, bought Far Cry 2 because it looked awesome. Biggest waste of $60 ever, played maybe 3 hours and was done. What a garbage game.
Old 02-12-2011, 10:14 AM   #11
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Crysis came out a good time, when awesome technical graphics actually mattered.

No one cares about graphics anymore. I mean, if something looks abhorrently awful, to the point of being broken, that's not good. But games like Fallout and Dragon Age are hardly visual masterpieces, yet people love them because of the game play. Same with the independent stuff released on the online marketplaces, or just about anything to come out on the Wii. It's not about graphics anymore, and aside from pretty technical graphics, Crysis 2 just looks like another 'me-too' shooter.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 10:18 AM   #12
bradster57
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Justin 3 View Post
Totally agree, bought Far Cry 2 because it looked awesome. Biggest waste of $60 ever, played maybe 3 hours and was done. What a garbage game.
Visually, Far Cry 2 was amazing- but thats about it. It shouldn't have been a sequel, it had nothing to do with the original Far Cry. And I hated driving half an hour before each mission, that sucked.
bradster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 03:16 PM   #13
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradster57 View Post
Visually, Far Cry 2 was amazing- but thats about it. It shouldn't have been a sequel, it had nothing to do with the original Far Cry. And I hated driving half an hour before each mission, that sucked.
Not to mention you ran into like 4-6 road blocks EVERY bloody time. Just thinking about that game gives me gray hair it was so bad.
Old 02-13-2011, 06:22 PM   #14
bradster57
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Justin 3 View Post
Not to mention you ran into like 4-6 road blocks EVERY bloody time. Just thinking about that game gives me gray hair it was so bad.
Haha I forgot about that. You'd clear out a road block and when you went through it a second time, it was magically filled with new enemies.
bradster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 08:47 PM   #15
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

I always considered Crysis to be one of the best single player games I've played in a long time and Crysis 2 will be good as well. Because of the attention to graphics and fun things like enemy AI and physics and yes, being a tech demo - the game was incredibly fun. It's certainly better than every single FPS I've played on a console and even most on PCs including Half-Life 2.

It is nothing at all like Far Cry 2 which has nothing to do with this company. Far Cry 1 was developed by Crytek and was a great game as well, the spiritual prequel to Crysis. Far Cry 2 was just the name taken by EA and farmed out to Ubisoft Montreal to make into a really terrible game that couldn't decide if it wanted to be a sandbox or story driven game.

The multiplayer on Crysis 2 might be decent as well...theoretically people should know already because there are pirate multiplayer servers up already.

Crysis is not just a normal shooter, it's a very tactical game. I think it's more tactical than Metal Gear Solid and they've increased that part of the game for Crysis 2 with heavy use of your visor, nanovision, stealth, sniping, choosing a strategy, etc.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 02-15-2011 at 06:12 AM.
Old 02-15-2011, 06:09 AM   #16
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Old 02-16-2011, 12:44 PM   #17
LockedOut
Franchise Player

Exp:

PC multiplayer demo comes out March 1.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6299618...op%3Btitle%3B2