Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2010, 02:52 PM   #21
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frequitude View Post
Yep...
I did the same thing a few months ago. When I get home from work I can PM you a picture or two and get you a link to the wall mount I bought. I also used a 46" TV.
Komskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 04:09 PM   #22
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here are photos of the TV from the 2 viewing positions and a side shot to show the tilt. I would guess the viewing positions are 10-12 feet away, and I haven't found that to be an issue at all. I'm not sure what angle we have it mounted at, but the mount allows up to 15 degrees.

Here is a link to the wall mount we used:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Fortunately we were able to plan ahead while the home was being built and had conduit installed behind the TV making it easy to run the wires to the components, as well as extra blocking put in to mount the bracket, and had the ceiling speakers wired up beforehand.

The TV mount process was super easy though. You just mount the bracket on the wall, attach the two hinges to the back of the TV, and drop the TV in place. I would advise you set your angle before dropping the TV in as you won't be able to do it once in place (unless you have tiny hands, but even then it would be a tight fit)

In the first two photos you can see some in-ceiling speakers, which were also from Monoprice. They are very good quality and the price is near-impossible to beat. These are the ones we used:

Center channel: http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
Fronts and Rears: http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Hope this helps.

Edit: If you were wondering the model of the TV is Sony KDL46EX701

Last edited by Komskies; 11-08-2010 at 04:13 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Komskies For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2010, 04:21 PM   #23
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misterpants View Post
Thanks for opening this thread! On a bit of a tangent, does anyone know how Future Shop works with regards to haggling? Do they usually have any room to move? I know that Visions and Soundsaround always have the posted price and the price you pay, but is FS the same?

Anybody have any experience with FS installing their TV's?
There is room to haggle at Futureshop when it comes to their TV's. But TV's are pretty competitively priced and there isn't a lot of markup so there isn't much room to move. It is my understanding that the sales staff make more of their money on TV accessories and extended warranties.

Don't buy any HDMI Monster Cables from them, they can be had online for much cheaper and they will do the exact same thing. It's up to you if you want to buy the extended warranty, but personally I wouldn't buy one for a TV. So if you forgo the two things that they make money on they may not be so willing to cut something off the TV price. But it doesn't hurt to try.
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 04:27 PM   #24
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komskies View Post
Here are photos of the TV from the 2 viewing positions and a side shot to show the tilt. I would guess the viewing positions are 10-12 feet away, and I haven't found that to be an issue at all. I'm not sure what angle we have it mounted at, but the mount allows up to 15 degrees.

Here is a link to the wall mount we used:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Fortunately we were able to plan ahead while the home was being built and had conduit installed behind the TV making it easy to run the wires to the components, as well as extra blocking put in to mount the bracket, and had the ceiling speakers wired up beforehand.

The TV mount process was super easy though. You just mount the bracket on the wall, attach the two hinges to the back of the TV, and drop the TV in place. I would advise you set your angle before dropping the TV in as you won't be able to do it once in place (unless you have tiny hands, but even then it would be a tight fit)

In the first two photos you can see some in-ceiling speakers, which were also from Monoprice. They are very good quality and the price is near-impossible to beat. These are the ones we used:

Center channel: http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
Fronts and Rears: http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Hope this helps.

Edit: If you were wondering the model of the TV is Sony KDL46EX701
So good. I need to set up my system like that.

MickMcGeough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 04:39 PM   #25
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Komskies do you find it hard on your neck or anything if you are always looking up at your TV? I notice that most new homes or condos have a fireplace in the ideal TV spot.
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 04:49 PM   #26
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burninator View Post
Komskies do you find it hard on your neck or anything if you are always looking up at your TV? I notice that most new homes or condos have a fireplace in the ideal TV spot.
Not in the slightest. Normally there's just 2 of us watching, so we each grab a couch and kick back and relax. When there are more people and you have to sit normally on the couch, the two closest to the TV may find it a bit much, but that would have more to do from turning their neck sideways than from tilting it up. I haven't found it an issue though personally, even from the close seats.

Edit: To be honest I thought this would be an issue at first too, but it really has been awesome so far. It's quite the little home theatre on a budget.
The Following User Says Thank You to Komskies For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2010, 05:03 PM   #27
Lithium
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I got myself this 42" LG LCD LED back in spring for HD sports, bluray, and PS3. Picture is amazing. I think the total weight is 38 pounds or something like that, really thin, really light and easy to move if need be.
Lithium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 06:16 PM   #28
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

Its really helpful reading about the specific models fellow CPers have bought and their feedback.
Frequitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 08:07 AM   #29
kevman
First Line Centre

Exp:

"When buying an LCD you can't go wrong with the 3 S's..."

Sony, Samsung and Sharp all make outstanding TV's and you can't go wrong with any of them. One thing I would suggest is getting a calibration DVD/Blu Ray and taking the time to do it right. A well calibrated "budget" TV will look much better than a poor calibrated TV no matter how much you spend.

My TV (Sharp Aquos 52D64U) looks as good (without a side by side comparison of course, like others have said) as a lot of newer more expensive TV's despite being the cheapest 52" 1080P LCD I could buy 2 years ago. It has minor banding and studdering issues during certain pan shots (ie, blu ray cloudy skies, who cares? cable broadcast sports are fine!) but the colours are rich and the picture is fantastic. That's after calibration of course, out of the box the contrast was cranked and colours blown out since that's what "sells" on a showroom floor...
kevman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 09:30 AM   #30
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

Any other specific model/brand recommendations on a price & quality basis?
Frequitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 09:39 AM   #31
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

A lot of people rip on the LG line for being cheap, but personally I've always liked them.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 10:07 AM   #32
Misterpants
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'm thinking about this one. Any thoughts on if this is a good deal?

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/produ...0hzledhdtvl-en

Sharp Aquos 46" 1080p 120Hz LED HDTV** (LC46LE700UN)
Misterpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 10:15 AM   #33
csnarpy
First Line Centre

Exp:

The one difference between Sharp/Sony and the others (that I found) is the glare. If you are in lighted area, be it sunlit or from a lamp - Sony/Sharp absorb the light much much better while the others just look like a mirror.

FYI - Visions is KNOWN for their ability to haggle. I have a 46 and a 52 sharp's which i paid less than cost. In fact, my buddy haggled between 2 Visions for his projection tv and ended up paying 1500 less than cost (this was 3yrs ago) and they ended up hiring him! He now is the GM of the store. lol
csnarpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 10:20 AM   #34
csnarpy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I'm thinking about this one. Any thoughts on if this is a good deal?

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/produ...0hzledhdtvl-en

Sharp Aquos 46" 1080p 120Hz LED HDTV** (LC46LE700UN)
That's not a bad tv but I'd also take a look at this one.

http://www2.visions.ca/Catalogue/Cat...productId=5949

I prefer Sharp, just cause that's what I'm used to. But I helped my father by this one and I'm jealous. It is just a sweet, sweet picture.

EDIT: your best bet. Go look at them in the store and see which one you prefer. I just chatted with my buddy and he said they are virtually the same.

Last edited by csnarpy; 11-09-2010 at 10:22 AM.
csnarpy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to csnarpy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2010, 10:34 AM   #35
Misterpants
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

That's good to know about the glare. It'll be going in an area with lots of sunlight, so this is important.

Anyone have any experience with monoprice or newegg for buying TV mounts? I know they are way cheaper than buying in the store but what is the shipping cost? And does monoprice ship to Calgary?
Old 11-09-2010, 11:26 AM   #36
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That's good to know about the glare. It'll be going in an area with lots of sunlight, so this is important.

Anyone have any experience with monoprice or newegg for buying TV mounts? I know they are way cheaper than buying in the store but what is the shipping cost? And does monoprice ship to Calgary?
I bought mine from Monoprice. http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

I packaged it in with a bunch of other stuff to save on shipping costs (a smaller wall mount, a bunch of cables, banana plugs, some wall plates, Cat 5 cable, a centre channel. Shipping and handling came to $53.80 on an order of $169.31. When you look at everything on my order, it's extremely cheap, and you would never find the same prices in retail stores.
The Following User Says Thank You to Komskies For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2010, 11:41 AM   #37
Misterpants
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Good to know. The mount I want is $300 in stores and $44 from monoprice. How the heck is that even possible? That's crazy mark-up!
Old 11-09-2010, 11:44 AM   #38
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Good to know. The mount I want is $300 in stores and $44 from monoprice. How the heck is that even possible? That's crazy mark-up!
If you go up to post 22 you can see a side view of my mount with the TV on it.
Old 11-09-2010, 12:06 PM   #39
Misterpants
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Yeah, that looks great! I'm going to have to put mine in a corner and swing it out due to having to work around a 3-way fire place and recessed shelf nook. Kind of a pain.
Old 11-09-2010, 12:17 PM   #40
OBCT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Yes, yes it is. But if people will pay that much...

As for TV suggestions, I've owned a mid-level Samsung LCD for 2 years and still like it. I don't regret the purchase. The only negative thing about it that bugs me today is the slow refresh rate/response time. It's equipped with the earliest incantation of 120Hz, which helps some, but blurring or choppiness is still noticeable in fast-action sports and console gaming.

I hear they've improved the technology a fair bit with LCDs in the last 2 years, but plasmas are still superior in black level, contrast ratio and refresh/response times.

Get the best set possible for a price you're comfortable paying.