Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-18-2018, 05:11 PM   #1
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:
Default Wifi solutions ...upgrade help???

As I type our 4K Tv and 3 iPads are killing my old prehistoric apple airport.

We reset daily 5 to 6 times and it’s open. Yes I know.

I need help. Shaw is our carrier. I’m always at work and this has gotten so bad I cannot do work from home anymore. I spend 10-14 hrs a day at work 6 days a week and then more replying to emails from home is just 24/7 .

This has gone on for too long and it’s time to pull the trigger on an upgrade.

Any help from someone willing to come to my home and hookup so new tech gear would be greatly appreciated.

I cannot spend a fortune as I just don’t have it. House is under 1000 sq ft and is a poor back split design where the airport is downstairs a whopping 30 ft from where I sit currently getting 2 bars as the 4K tv is hogging all the bandwidth while watching Netflix .

I can pay cash and even throw in my services as a trade or barter type thing as I am very good at what I do in the hvac industry and maybe we can help each other .

I need something to work instead of what I have which is a bandaid on top of a bandaid type solution. I’m a furnaceguy not a tech guy so just thought I’d check out CP for someone who’s good and willing to help if possible.

Thanks in advance .
EVERLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 08:00 PM   #2
TopChed
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I would say a router upgrade would do wonders. I recently installed a mesh wifi system at my house, and now have excellent coverage throughout. With just one router, there were always spots where performance suffered.

I would recommend checking out any of these solutions that you think would fit your needs:
https://www.pcmag.com/roundup/350795...etwork-systems

I bought the TP Link Deco 3 pack when they were on sale at Best Buy, and have basically eliminated any frustration I had with my home wifi.

Last edited by TopChed; 09-18-2018 at 08:03 PM.
TopChed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TopChed For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2018, 12:50 AM   #3
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

The TP link is great at that price point. Pretty hard to beat it for ease and performance sub 250.

In a perfect world you would have a node on each level but from a cost standpoint you might be able to get away with a single router solution like the TP Link archer C9 https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00PDLRHFW/..._mfFOBb7KVCHEM which is a great performing and high rated router for sub 100.
Old 09-21-2018, 12:57 PM   #4
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

PM'd. I can help you out.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 11:39 AM   #5
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

So Amazon has the Orbi RBK30 on sale for $249. Is this a worthwhile system to warrant getting into Orbi with? My place isn't huge, but I notice in certain areas on the 2nd floor, my WiFi is lacking or not there. This would allow me to get stronger Wi-Fi on the second level.

Regarding the router functionality of the Orbi, do I still have the capability to do port forwards, custom DNS, etc? Also, any issues with accessing wired devices from a wireless device?
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 12:04 PM   #6
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
So Amazon has the Orbi RBK30 on sale for $249. Is this a worthwhile system to warrant getting into Orbi with? My place isn't huge, but I notice in certain areas on the 2nd floor, my WiFi is lacking or not there. This would allow me to get stronger Wi-Fi on the second level.

Regarding the router functionality of the Orbi, do I still have the capability to do port forwards, custom DNS, etc? Also, any issues with accessing wired devices from a wireless device?
The Orbi RBK30 is 2x2. That is a nightmare for backhaul and you will see poor performance if you have several devices that use the 5ghz channel at once.

In my opinion getting this system would be a mistake.