Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum

View Poll Results: Should Calgary Bid on the 2026 Olympics
Yes 286 46.28%
No 261 42.23%
Determine by plebiscite 71 11.49%
Voters: 618. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 09-20-2018, 11:35 PM   #801
Faust
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Secret report shows bus barns will drive Olympic costs higher if bid succeeds:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...barn-1.4830850
The Following User Says Thank You to Faust For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2018, 06:54 AM   #802
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm pretty sure the bus barn move is part of the green line funding? Totally separate from an Olympic bid.
Old 09-21-2018, 07:44 AM   #803
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

let's say that Calgary gets the Olympics and there are cost overruns. who pays for those? does Calgary get even more form the province and feds? is the city responsible?
it should be made clear to the public who is on the hook.
Old 09-21-2018, 07:49 AM   #804
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well cost overruns are guaranteed, the question is how much?
Old 09-21-2018, 07:59 AM   #805
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
I'm pretty sure the bus barn move is part of the green line funding? Totally separate from an Olympic bid.

I don't think it is. The last I heard they were trying to get the green line around the bus barns but not willing to spend the money to go under them because they aren't going to be there for the long term. So they need to accommodate the barns but not too much cause they might not exist in the future.

I think the key in the article is that there will be expenses the city is "compelled to pay". So it's not just the bus barn. We've had two or three indications now that there will be other expenses but yeah...5.2 billion.
Old 09-21-2018, 02:02 PM   #806
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the bus barn move is consider a part of the CMLC plans for the rivers district and therefore should be considered separately from the bid tab. It will need to happen in and around the 2026 timeline.

Calling this a secret report is kind of ridiculous as well.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2018, 05:54 PM   #807
Mccree
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

^^

So with or without the Olympics this is happening anyways? If that is correct then I agree these costs are not part of the bid.

Old 09-21-2018, 08:45 PM   #808
sleepingmoose
Scoring Winger

Exp:

It’s been talked about, but never actioned because here’s no funding for the replacement garage - this isn’t some abandoned bus barn, it’s still very much in use with hundreds of buses parked and maintained there. CMLC can pay for the demo and remediation, but the biggest cost is building the new building to take its place (which can’t be paid for by CMLC because it’s not going to be in East Village). Green line was not removing the garage, simply taking a small slice of the employee parking lot.
Old 09-21-2018, 10:15 PM   #809
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

This image is from the CMLC site for the Rivers District redevelopment.

The area in the foreground of the image is where the bus barn currently sits. I believe the road is 11th Ave, which currently stops at 6th St because that's where the garage is.

Within the next decade (assuming they can get funding for this), the Transit Garage will be moved anyway. I'm not sure how that sort of thing would be financed between Calgary Transit and Council normally with or without the Olympics. It makes perfect sense to me that you wouldn't include the cost of the new garage into the costs of the replacement buildings.
Old 09-22-2018, 10:38 AM   #810
Two Fivenagame
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think following cities like Gold Coast and Melbourne is interesting. They've leveraged funding from hosting Commonwealth Games and invested heavily into their infrastructure and worked to diversify their economies.

Here's a neato video on the Gold Coast and I think something like this would match well with Calgary.

Old 09-22-2018, 06:22 PM   #811
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

My wife sold a couple of her colleagues on this: rent out your place on AirBnB for a week. Profit.
Old 09-23-2018, 08:31 AM   #812
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kind of surprised we haven't seen any polling now that the details are out. It was close before the details came out, and now I'd suspect it's more against hosting than for, but it'd be nice to have something other than online polls which are like 75-25 against hosting (though I can dream those are right...).
Old 09-23-2018, 10:10 AM   #813
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Kind of surprised we haven't seen any polling now that the details are out. It was close before the details came out, and now I'd suspect it's more against hosting than for, but it'd be nice to have something other than online polls which are like 75-25 against hosting (though I can dream those are right...).

From what I've heard I think 75-25 is correct. this is going to be a landslide.

Remember it's a non-binding vote to just bid. I think Stockholm wins anyways.

Old 09-23-2018, 10:53 AM   #814
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
From what I've heard I think 75-25 is correct. this is going to be a landslide.

Remember it's a non-binding vote to just bid. I think Stockholm wins anyways.
Really, 75% are against bidding? I would have thought that "yes" wins in a landslide because they have a funded and organized campaign. The turnout will be low, and the only real GOTV action will be on that side. I don't think they get to 75% either, but they should win this.
Old 09-23-2018, 11:16 AM   #815
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Really, 75% are against bidding? I would have thought that "yes" wins in a landslide because they have a funded and organized campaign. The turnout will be low, and the only real GOTV action will be on that side. I don't think they get to 75% either, but they should win this.
I think this is the narrative the NO side tries to tell, to make them seem like the underdogs.

If the turn out is low, it favours the no side, because people are more likely to go and vote if they dislike something than if they're okay with it.
Old 09-23-2018, 01:51 PM   #816
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

When the arena is announced as part of the bid a week before it passes 58/42. Without 52/48 yes.

I think low turnout favours yes as I think the enthusiasm for yes is greater than the enthusiasm for no.
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2018, 04:19 PM   #817
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

At the information session during the lunch hour on Thursday, they asked for a show of hands before it began and the overwhelming majority were "Yes", with the remainder being split between "No" and "Undecided".

Obviously, with something like that, it's hard to know how representative the sampling is, but if the people who attended are the most-likely to vote, it would appear the Yes votes have the edge.
Old 09-23-2018, 05:11 PM   #818
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

To be fair, if you're not interested in the Olympic process proceeding forward with all the information that is out there now, you'll probably not bother to go to the open house about it. Your mind has been decided.
Old 09-23-2018, 05:19 PM   #819
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

My gut instinct is the no side is more motivated, and unless an arena deal is part of the thing bid, the plebiscite is likely to lose. But I am also terrible at predictions, so I have no clue, really.
Old 09-23-2018, 05:20 PM   #820
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

The estimates of current plans call for a tax burden of about $75/person. Of course you do it.

Even if it doubles, who wouldn't pay $150 for all the benefits the city would get from hosting the Olympics?
Closed Thread