Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Best guess for Tkachuk's contract result
8 @ 7M 10 1.61%
8 @ 8M 41 6.59%
8 @ 9M 21 3.38%
8 @ 10M 8 1.29%
7 @ 7M 21 3.38%
7 @ 8M 61 9.81%
7 @ 9M 19 3.05%
7 @ 10M 3 0.48%
6 @ 6M 4 0.64%
6 @ 7M 48 7.72%
6 @ 8M 126 20.26%
6 @ 9M 27 4.34%
5 @ 6M 3 0.48%
5 @ 7M 56 9.00%
5 @ 8M 66 10.61%
5 @ 9M 10 1.61%
4 @ 5M 1 0.16%
4 @ 6M 4 0.64%
4 @ 7M 19 3.05%
3 @ 4M 2 0.32%
3 @ 5M 4 0.64%
3 @ 6M 46 7.40%
2 @ 4M 3 0.48%
2 @ 5M 15 2.41%
1 @ 4M 1 0.16%
1 @ 5M 3 0.48%
Voters: 622. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 07-16-2019, 05:09 AM   #521
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
I'd be happy with Tkachuk at 8. If that was the ask, I don't see why it wouldn't be done already. It's possible that Tkachuk's camp is also happy with 8, but is just in the milking it out phase, which is why we aren't hearing many crazy rumors about how difficult this process is, like with the Marner negotiations.

I would expect that term is more the issue. Tkachuk wants a shorter term but the AAV also. Treliving only wants to give an AAV starting with an 8 on a 7-8 year term.

Aho continued the market set my Matthews by getting the short term and the high AAV. So why wouldn’t Tkachuk want the best of both worlds?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 07-16-2019, 06:27 AM   #522
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I see no reason for the rfa players to flinch. I think we're going to see a bunch of them missing camp and the start of the season.
Old 07-16-2019, 07:57 AM   #523
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
I see no reason for the rfa players to flinch. I think we're going to see a bunch of them missing camp and the start of the season.
I agree.

The RFA's want to reach UFA sooner than later. Not because they necessarily want to leave, but to cash in on the next 8 year contract.

Teams used to only give RFA"s the financial security they wanted if they agreed to give up some UFA years.

Players like Johnny who wanted to reach UFA sooner had to give up AAV in exchange for earlier lifetime security.

The Matthews contract started the tend to giving RFA's both.

If I was an owner, I'm not sure why I would give a RFA a contract that took them to UFA status with a high AAV and financial security without getting something in return (i.e. some UFA years).

Let the player go year to year if that's what they want.

Now the difficult choice is if the player holds out.
Old 07-16-2019, 09:30 AM   #524
Husky
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
Aho has 0.81 career points per game, and 0.34 career goals per game.
Tkachuk has 0.78 career points per game, and 0.32 career goals per game.

Aho skates faster and takes faceoffs.
Tkachuk hits, fights, draws penalties and leads (already wears an A).

Aho is 6’ 176lbs
Tkachuk is 6’2” 202lbs

They are both 21 and have each played 3 seasons.
Aho drives the offense on his line - MT does.
Old 07-16-2019, 09:51 AM   #525
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husky View Post
Aho drives the offense on his line - MT does.
Yes...
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2019, 09:52 AM   #526
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

The main difference between Aho and Tkachuk is positional, but I think that positional difference is worth a fair bit of dough.
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2019, 09:56 AM   #527
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
The main difference between Aho and Tkachuk is positional, but I think that positional difference is worth a fair bit of dough.
Tkachuk brings a lot of grit to his play which likely makes up the difference in position.
Old 07-16-2019, 09:56 AM   #528
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Mitch Marner's camp would disagree with that statement (in Toronto, claims are that he's using his teammate Mathews' as a direct comparable).
Old 07-16-2019, 10:14 AM   #529
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I have a feeling the Tkachuk camp is asking 8-8.5 per on a 5 Year deal.
The Following User Says Thank You to kukkudo For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2019, 10:14 AM   #530
HighLifeMan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Aho is currently the better player and has proven more in terms of the impact he has individually on his team and the ability to be the teams top player in all aspects.

In terms of team finishes Aho has placed 2nd, 1st, and 1st respectively in each of his first three seasons. Tkachuk on the other hand has finished 5th, 3rd, and 4th to start his career.

Aho has received recognition for his two way play (12th in Selke voting this year, 4th among forwards in takeaways), and was top ten in hart voting as well. None of which can be said for Tkachuk. Aho has also shown the ability to raise his game and lead his team deep into the playoffs. Tkachuk hasn't.

Over a 7 or 8 year term I can see the case for Tkachuk to be demanding 8.5M per year, but if he want's 5 years like Aho his caphit should drop significantly as he has proven less to date.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to HighLifeMan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2019, 10:28 AM   #531
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLifeMan View Post
Aho is currently the better player and has proven more in terms of the impact he has individually on his team and the ability to be the teams top player in all aspects.

In terms of team finishes Aho has placed 2nd, 1st, and 1st respectively in each of his first three seasons. Tkachuk on the other hand has finished 5th, 3rd, and 4th to start his career.

Aho has received recognition for his two way play (12th in Selke voting this year, 4th among forwards in takeaways), and was top ten in hart voting as well. None of which can be said for Tkachuk. Aho has also shown the ability to raise his game and lead his team deep into the playoffs. Tkachuk hasn't.

Over a 7 or 8 year term I can see the case for Tkachuk to be demanding 8.5M per year, but if he want's 5 years like Aho his caphit should drop significantly as he has proven less to date.
Yup I agree. That is why I am surprised Sens haven't thrown an offer sheet yet. They could throw a 9-9.5M 5 year offer sheet. Flames would match I think he also has to accept but that screws everything up.
Old 07-16-2019, 10:30 AM   #532
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
Mitch Marner's camp would disagree with that statement (in Toronto, claims are that he's using his teammate Mathews' as a direct comparable).
Interesting but I bet he doesn't get Matthews' salary.
Old 07-16-2019, 10:32 AM   #533
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kukkudo View Post
Yup I agree. That is why I am surprised Sens haven't thrown an offer sheet yet. They could throw a 9-9.5M 5 year offer sheet. Flames would match I think he also has to accept but that screws everything up.
Sens first rounder is likely a high lottery, top 3 pick this year. I doubt they offer sheet anyone because of that.

Offer sheets make absolute sense for teams who see their window being open over the next few seasons, where the 1st round picks they are giving up are expected to be very late first rounders.
Old 07-16-2019, 10:33 AM   #534
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
This is about as irrelevant as a data point as you can get when comparing the two. Aho is 2/1/1 over three seasons because he's 4/3/1 in ice time for forwards, playing 200 more minutes than Tkachuk last year and putting up a whopping 5 more points (all of which are secondary assists... woohoo).

Tkachuk on the other hand, is 7/6/4 in ice time for forwards over the last 3 years.

Calgary is also stacked offensively, Tkachuk doesn't even need to play on the first line to keep pace with Aho offensively. Suggesting whether they're 1st or 25th on team scoring is meaningless without context like ice time, or how many points they actually scored.
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2019, 10:42 AM   #535
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:

So you’re saying that the best player from Carolina, who plays in all of the top line offensive deployments but still only has 0.03 points per game more than the guy who plays 2nd line shutdown minutes in Calgary, is worth more? Not just that, but he’s worth more specifically because he gets the most points on his team?

I’d be interested in seeing opposition-strength comparisons for the two players over their careers. I think it’s worth reminding some folks that Tkachuk has played his entire career on the second line in a shutdown role with Backlund and Frolik — consistently deployed against opposition top lines. Since the current discussion is “Aho is worth more than Tkachuk,” I think it’s also worth mentioning (again) that there’s only a 0.03 career points per game (0.02 goals per game) difference between the two, in spite of how the two players have been deployed over their careers.
Old 07-16-2019, 10:47 AM   #536
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
This is about as irrelevant as a data point as you can get when comparing the two. Aho is 2/1/1 over three seasons because he's 4/3/1 in ice time for forwards, playing 200 more minutes than Tkachuk last year and putting up a whopping 5 more points (all of which are secondary assists... woohoo).

Tkachuk on the other hand, is 7/6/4 in ice time for forwards over the last 3 years.

Calgary is also stacked offensively, Tkachuk doesn't even need to play on the first line to keep pace with Aho offensively. Suggesting whether they're 1st or 25th on team scoring is meaningless without context like ice time, or how many points they actually scored.
Exceptional point.

Tkachuk has been able to get lots of points playing with substandard line mates, other than when he gets PP time.

He,in fact, needs to drive the offense on his lines (other than PP time).

Considering that he's not the leading scorer on his teams, is actually more impressive.
Old 07-16-2019, 10:52 AM   #537
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is he signed yet?

Old 07-16-2019, 10:56 AM   #538
CN10
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I like that the Tkachuk negotiation hasn't played out via the media as much as the Nylander & Aho one did (a function of the hold out and offer sheet respectively) and the Marner one is (a function of it being a Leaf player). It seems like nobody wants to be the first to sign (except Aho who looks like he wanted to get it done fast on his terms by using Montreal as a pawn). I feel like the Flames can probably wait a bit longer to get it done, but will probably want to be close to the final number ahead of signing Bennett & Rittich prior to their arbitration hearings.

Tkachuk is obviously a valuable player to the team and both his camp and Treliving know that. I just also think that it would be hard for the GM to say to the rest of the team that he is more valuable than Gaudreau and Giordano by giving him a higher % of cap hit. Both those guys signed for 9.25% of the cap for 6 years at the time they put pen to paper. I think that based on this the Flames offer is likely 6 x $7.54M which seems fair. If Tkachuk is pushing for less term which I expect he may be given his comments about the Mathews deal, I expect that the Flames will want to lower the cap hit and that is likely the sticking point. We can thank Dubas for paying UFA price for RFA years on the Mathews deal for complicating all RFA negotiations this off season.

Last edited by CN10; 07-16-2019 at 03:50 PM.
Old 07-16-2019, 10:59 AM   #539
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CN10 View Post
I like that the Tkachuk negotiation hasn't played out via the media as much as the Nylander & Aho one did (a function of the hold out and offer sheet respectively) and the Marner one is (a function of it being a Leaf player). It seems like nobody wants to be the first to sign (except Aho who looks like he wanted to get it done fast on his terms by using Montreal as a pawn). I feel like the Flames can probably wait a bit longer to get it done, but will probably want to be close to the final number ahead of signing Bennett & Rittich prior to their arbitration hearings.

Tkachuk is obviously a valuable player to the team and both his camp and Treliving know that. I just also think that it would be hard for the GM to say to the rest of the team that he is more valuable that Gaudreau and Giordano by giving him a higher % of cap hit. Both those guys signed for 9.25% of the cap for 6 years at the time they put pen to paper. I think that based on this the Flames offer is likely 6 x $7.54M which seems fair. If Tkachuk is pushing for less term which I expect he may be given his comments about the Mathews deal, I expect that the Flames will want to lower the cap hit and that is likely the sticking point. We can thank Dubas for paying UFA price for RFA years on the Mathews deal for complicating all RFA negotiations this off season.
If Treliving is set on sticking to the % of cap hit for those guys, he'll be pretty disappointed I think.

The market has changed, and RFA's are getting paid more than there were in the past.
Old 07-16-2019, 11:31 AM   #540
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
Aho has 0.81 career points per game, and 0.34 career goals per game.
Tkachuk has 0.78 career points per game, and 0.32 career goals per game.

Aho skates faster and takes faceoffs.
Tkachuk hits, fights, draws penalties and leads (already wears an A).

Aho is 6’ 176lbs
Tkachuk is 6’2” 202lbs

They are both 21 and have each played 3 seasons.
I agree with everything in your post, except for the "he fights" comment which I have read a few times over the last couple of months.
Tkachuk doesn't fight in the context where it's used as a plus in contract negotiations. He is an agitator who drops the gloves a few times a season, of which he is usually on the losing end.

*edit In his defence he's only going to get bigger and stronger.
The Following User Says Thank You to CalgaryFan1988 For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread