Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-02-2018, 07:42 PM   #1
GirlySports
NOT breaking news
 
GirlySports's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default Miss Canada/Miss Universe Thread

Transgendered Contestant Wins Miss Spain and will be the first ever transgendered contestant at Miss Universe.





https://www.metroweekly.com/2018/07/...niverse-spain/


Quote:
For the first time ever, a transgender woman will compete for her country in the Miss Universe pageant, with Angela Ponce having been crowned as Spain’s representative.
Angela Ponce this weekend won the Spanish crown and now becomes the first transgender woman to compete on behalf of any country. Ponce is able to do that thanks to trailblazer Jenna Talackova of Canada. Back when Donald Trump still owned the pageant in 2012, Talackova had been barred from competing to win the Canadian crown, until Trump sided with GLAAD and thousands of people who petitioned him in the fight over inclusion.
__________________
Watching the Oilers defend is like watching fire engines frantically rushing to the wrong fire


Last edited by GirlySports; 12-10-2018 at 10:05 AM.
GirlySports is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2018, 07:56 PM   #2
ae118
Backup Goalie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Exp:
Default

Cool. Good for her.
ae118 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ae118 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2018, 08:01 PM   #3
Snuffleupagus
First Line Centre
 
Snuffleupagus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Exp:
Default

I know this kind of stuff is moving fast but I highly doubt a former male will actually win miss universe in my lifetime
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 08:06 PM   #4
nfotiu
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Virginia
Exp:
Default

So what's the proper reaction to this?

Celebrating this as a victory for anyone identifying as female?

Demeaning yourself in pageants is no longer exclusive to only those born female?

Now woman have to compete against a body image that is impossible to obtain for woman born with natural hips and curves?


I can't believe these pageants haven't all died off now. They seem like a relic of at least a couple generations ago.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nfotiu For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2018, 08:16 PM   #5
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up
 
Scroopy Noopers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Ontario, unfortunately.
Exp:
Default

It’s very interesting that the topic is “progressive” while discussing a beauty pageant.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2018, 08:31 PM   #6
GirlySports
NOT breaking news
 
GirlySports's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

I think pageants are progressive. It teaches beauty and confidence. The speaking part makes or breaks pageants more and more. The organizers are looking for a story, lots of girls come from nothing or abuse and compete to grow as a person. Especially form countries where women are still 2nd-class.



I'm biased though since I'm a pageant junkie.
__________________
Watching the Oilers defend is like watching fire engines frantically rushing to the wrong fire

GirlySports is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2018, 08:36 PM   #7
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up
 
Scroopy Noopers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Ontario, unfortunately.
Exp:
Default

Just to clarify I really don’t mean anything negative by it, I just find it interesting.

But anything towards inclusiveness or popping veins in Trumps head I am all for.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2018, 11:44 PM   #8
Fozzie_DeBear
Wucka Wocka Wacka
 
Fozzie_DeBear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: East of the Rockies, West of the Rest
Exp:
Default

Kudos
__________________
"WHAT HAVE WE EVER DONE TO DESERVE THIS??? WHAT IS WRONG WITH US????" -Oiler Fan

"It was a debacle of monumental proportions." -MacT
Fozzie_DeBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 02:26 AM   #9
SebC
tromboner
 
SebC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: where the lattes are
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
So what's the proper reaction to this?

[...]

Now woman have to compete against a body image that is impossible to obtain for woman born with natural hips and curves?
Definitely not this one. The hourglass figure is far more common for women than for men. There's a reason we identify it as feminine.

A male would have an advantage in height and body fat percentage, but I am not sure how much of the latter would person given the hormone treatmeants a transwoman would have undergone.

Last edited by SebC; 07-03-2018 at 02:38 AM.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 08:53 AM   #10
FireFly
Franchise Player
 
FireFly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
So what's the proper reaction to this?

Celebrating this as a victory for anyone identifying as female?

Demeaning yourself in pageants is no longer exclusive to only those born female?

Now woman have to compete against a body image that is impossible to obtain for woman born with natural hips and curves?


I can't believe these pageants haven't all died off now. They seem like a relic of at least a couple generations ago.

Actually they've said that the swimsuit competition will no longer exist and they're encouraging women of all shapes and sizes to compete...


https://www.vox.com/identities/2018/...etchen-carlson


Pardon me, that's just Miss America.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimbl420 View Post
I can wash my penis without taking my pants off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyhands23 View Post
If edmonton wins the cup in the next decade I will buy everyone on CP a bottle of vodka.
FireFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 09:08 AM   #11
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player
 
Erick Estrada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: San Fernando Valley
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
I think pageants are progressive. It teaches beauty and confidence. The speaking part makes or breaks pageants more and more. The organizers are looking for a story, lots of girls come from nothing or abuse and compete to grow as a person. Especially form countries where women are still 2nd-class.



I'm biased though since I'm a pageant junkie.
I don't know what to make of beauty pageants as I don't watch them nor do I care about them. Some people are gifted with athletic skill and are able to parlay that into a lucrative professional sports career. Some people are gifted with smarts and are able to parlay that into a successful professional career. Some people are gifted with the ability to act or perform in front of audiences and are able to parlay that into a successful acting career. If a man or woman is gifted with natural beauty should they not be able to make the most out of that whether it be in pageants, modelling, etc? A lot of these pageant winners use it as a springboard to another career so I don't see the issue as long as there's an audience for it.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 10:59 AM   #12
Ashasx
Franchise Player
 
Ashasx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Exp:
Default

First sports, then the wage gap, now men are beating women at beauty pageants?
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2018, 11:09 AM   #13
Ducay
Franchise Player
 
Ducay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
First sports, then the wage gap, now men are beating women at beauty pageants?
That's modern society for you - when anyone can identify as anything. Women's sport competition and records are already starting to fall to men identifying as women. I look forward to the impending domination of the Special Olympics by the first smart SOB who identifies as such.
Ducay is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ducay For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2018, 12:40 PM   #14
Northendzone
Franchise Player
 
Northendzone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Exp:
Default

personally, i have no real feelings on this one way or the other; however, i'd be curious as to how the other contestants (presumably all women) feel about this.

does miss spain get to compete at miss universe or does she just get to rule spain?

based on the video of the swimsuit portion it would appear that miss spain has had some surgery - if correct, i wonder how this would be handled if the contestant in question still had male anatomy? would she wear a different suit - boardshorts perhaps or would it be a "speedo" type thing going on?
__________________
I really like bikes and bike related discussions......
Northendzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 01:55 PM   #15
GirlySports
NOT breaking news
 
GirlySports's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
personally, i have no real feelings on this one way or the other; however, i'd be curious as to how the other contestants (presumably all women) feel about this.

does miss spain get to compete at miss universe or does she just get to rule spain?

based on the video of the swimsuit portion it would appear that miss spain has had some surgery - if correct, i wonder how this would be handled if the contestant in question still had male anatomy? would she wear a different suit - boardshorts perhaps or would it be a "speedo" type thing going on?
from the video above, the other Spanish contestants were ecstatic that she won.
__________________
Watching the Oilers defend is like watching fire engines frantically rushing to the wrong fire

GirlySports is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2018, 02:22 PM   #16
Cole436
First Line Centre
 
Cole436's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
That's modern society for you - when anyone can identify as anything. Women's sport competition and records are already starting to fall to men identifying as women. I look forward to the impending domination of the Special Olympics by the first smart SOB who identifies as such.
Pretty confident that sarcasm flew right past.
__________________
Cole436 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 02:22 PM   #17
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player
 
PsYcNeT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Marseilles Of The Prairies
Exp:
Default

Sarcasm or not, it's pretty ####ty to refer to a trans woman as a man.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2018, 02:28 PM   #18
Northendzone
Franchise Player
 
Northendzone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
from the video above, the other Spanish contestants were ecstatic that she won.
i would hardly use that as a barometer on how they were really feeling.
__________________
I really like bikes and bike related discussions......
Northendzone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Northendzone For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2018, 02:37 PM   #19
Ashasx
Franchise Player
 
Ashasx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Sarcasm or not, it's pretty ####ty to refer to a trans woman as a man.
What?

It's a joke. Calm down. To refer to somebody as "trans" means that they were once, at least biologically, something other than their current gender. To pretend that a trans-woman wasn't a man at one point is denying reality.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 02:40 PM   #20
zamler
Franchise Player
 
zamler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Sarcasm or not, it's pretty ####ty to refer to a trans woman as a man.
Why, man is right in the term.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:44 PM.

Calgary Flames
2017-18




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Calgarypuck 2016