Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-22-2019, 09:23 PM   #1241
WinnipegFan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Oh man scored an incredible favour on the ride home today was running late and an incredibly kind rider pulled in so I could draft the last leg of Fish Creek as he saw I was pushing it hard. We were flying through that area, I love cyclists!
WinnipegFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WinnipegFan For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2019, 08:07 AM   #1242
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

cool and dark out this morning. i felt a little naked as i rode in without wearing sunglasses.....hoping to ride all 4 days this week (I am taking friday off) as i will be the last week i can ride as i have to start driving my daughter to school next week
Old 08-26-2019, 09:09 AM   #1243
stone hands
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

what do you guys wear when it starts to get cold

going to be doing some fall/winter commuting maybe and am looking at base layers and stuff. everything i am finding is like 120+ for a long sleeved shirt, is this just how much it costs or am I looking at the really fancy stuff?
stone hands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 09:34 AM   #1244
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I bought some at Costco for under $10 last year.... nothing fancy but they work. So I hope it’s just your looking at the really fancy stuff.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ryan Coke For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2019, 09:37 AM   #1245
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

I don't use much in the way of what would normally be considered "riding gear."
Gloves- I use the Mechanix gloves as they have a good temperature range.
I have the following hoodie- Underarmour Hoodie
I also use long sleeve t-shirts. Easy to pack and often give that extra bit of warmth.

The hoodie is the best though. Has the balaclava to help the face and neck. Hood is light enough to go under my helmet, and the sweater part is a great balance of being light but also warm.

You also need to look at the distance of your commute. If I park close to downtown, I am only a few kilometres and can get by with less. If I am riding the full 27 km home, I have to account for being cold at first, warming up as I go, and also changing weather along the route. Especially as we get to early sunsets, sunny and +5 when I start is very different than dark and +2 at the end.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2019, 10:01 AM   #1246
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

My go to used to be an old Hugo Boss sweatshirt. I have more bike specific stuff now, but it did the trick. A decent windbreaker is key, too.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2019, 11:54 AM   #1247
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

cycling specific stuff will generally be more $$$ - but there is always stuff on sale. you can look at the last hunt website as well as sugoi and peral izumi websites.

otherwise MEC brand is generally the cheapest cycling clothing. I have bought stuff from walmart, marks work warehouse, sportcheck & my LBS.

i look for medium weight stuff that can be combined for layering. also helpful to have stuff that takes up less room in the pack for the ride home.

for the bottom half, I go with a pair of columbia longjohns for when it first starts cooling off, then as it gets codler, i have a pair of lined cycling tights and then for fat biking i have a pair of pants i bought off of facebook - they are a soft shell material they were much better than expected for $40. I have seen them on amazon as well.

for the feet, i have booties and toe warmers - the booties are a real pain to put on. i find the toe warmers work quite well and i just leave them on for the rid home.

for the ears, i have a lightweight ear band and a full on block heater whichn includes neck protection.

i have a couple of lightweight jackets then a flece type jacket with a ind stopper in teh front. with layering this things has been good to -25c
Old 08-26-2019, 02:21 PM   #1248
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Calgary drivers must give cyclists 1-metre clearance when passing, starting next month

Quote:
A new bylaw set to take effect at the start of next month makes it mandatory for motorists to leave a one-metre gap as they pass cyclists on Calgary roadways.

The safe passing distance widens to 1.5 metres when the speed limit is over 60 km/h, the city said in a release.

In order to pass someone riding a bicycle, drivers will be legally permitted to cross a solid yellow line when it's safe to do so.

Failure to obey the bylaw can lead to a fine of up to $203.

Cyclists are also required to ride as close to the side of the road as is safe.

The changes are in line with regulations in most Canadian provinces and the United States, the city says.

Several other changes to Calgary's transportation bylaws have recently come into effect, including:
  • Allowing skateboards, scooters and inline skates on cycle tracks and in public spaces in the downtown core, including Olympic Plaza and Stephen Avenue.
  • Allowing electric pedal-assist bicycles on Calgary Transit during the same non-peak hours that other bicycles are allowed, and all bikes weighing less than 55 pounds on bike racks on the front of city buses.
  • Allowing cyclists to use either arm to indicate a right turn and allowing cyclists to yield instead of coming to a full stop when entering or exiting a roadway or sidewalk to or from a pathway.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...fety-1.5260219
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2019, 02:27 PM   #1249
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just don't read the comments. Sigh.
Old 08-26-2019, 02:29 PM   #1250
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
Just don't read the comments. Sigh.
I read them. The usual extremists but some decent people rationally defending it.

Last edited by KTrain; 08-26-2019 at 02:35 PM. Reason: GIF too big
Old 08-26-2019, 02:37 PM   #1251
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd be ok with the rules if filtering was banned as well.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 02:38 PM   #1252
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

"Okay, so a one-metre gap bylaw makes safety sense but what should be the level of fine?"
"$200?"
"No it needs to be more than that to disincentivize people from doing it."
"$203?"
"Perfect."
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2019, 02:40 PM   #1253
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

I was wondering the same thing. Not sure where the $3 comes from.
Old 08-27-2019, 08:20 AM   #1254
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

seemed quite cool out there this morning until around 7 am.

will be interesting to see how this 3m buffer zone goes. It would seem to be a hard thing to prove one way or the other.
Old 08-27-2019, 08:24 AM   #1255
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Felt like end of September out there this morning.
Might have to start wearing cycling tights on the way in
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 09:05 AM   #1256
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don’t like the requirement that a cyclist had to ride as close to the edge as safe.

That is a lot of leeway for a officer to argue that what you are doing isn’t safe. Taking the lane is the safest option much of the time and that should be left to the discretion of the cyclist.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2019, 09:46 AM   #1257
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
I don’t like the requirement that a cyclist had to ride as close to the edge as safe.

That is a lot of leeway for a officer to argue that what you are doing isn’t safe. Taking the lane is the safest option much of the time and that should be left to the discretion of the cyclist.
It doesn't seem like something cyclists will be getting busted for, but instead gives cyclists some leeway to decide for themselves where they feel safe riding.
Maybe I'm just being too optimistic.
"As close to the edge as is safe" is far too subjective to give out tickets to cyclists.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mass_nerder For This Useful Post:
GGG
Old 08-27-2019, 09:57 AM   #1258
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass_nerder View Post
It doesn't seem like something cyclists will be getting busted for, but instead gives cyclists some leeway to decide for themselves where they feel safe riding.
Maybe I'm just being too optimistic.
"As close to the edge as is safe" is far too subjective to give out tickets to cyclists.
I think its leeway to not give drivers tickets. If a cyclist veers out and close to a car its not the cars fault. The cyclist doesn't actually get a ticket though do they?
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 10:28 AM   #1259
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

I guess it just gives flexibility to drivers and cyclists, as road conditions differ pretty drastically.
Part of my commute is 2nd street sw, and I bike probably 2m from the curb because any closer to the road side is filled with pot holes, man hole covers, and lots of gravel; if they specified a distance away from the curb, it would unfairly punish cyclists.

Cyclists swerving close to/in front of cars is a different issue I think. If a cyclist swerves to avoid someone pulling halfway out into the curb lane, or to avoid debris, no one can really be at fault. If a cyclist is just swerving in and out around parked cars instead of just picking a line, then the cyclist should be at fault.
Old 08-27-2019, 12:31 PM   #1260
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post

Especially for roads with cars parked on the curb. There's a bike lane right next to parked cars in the NW that I will never ride in because I don't want to get doored.