Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-14-2018, 10:40 AM   #341
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
they brought it up. i'm sick and tired of people baselessly criticizing my posting in general without providing reasons because contrary to popular belief i value feedback and would greatly appreciate constructive stuff instead of drive-bys designed to elicit thanks

it's garbage posting that is honestly totally hypocritical when it calls me out because they are substance-less nothing posts calling me out for actually contributing substance to the site!

so forgive me for taking it personally, for once. i only want to be a good poster and i want help, not put-downs
My take from a distance?

I think emotional ditch to ditch reactions to things is what they are suggesting. It's your right and it can certainly be your style, but "baby with the bath water" posts are the reason I don't go near the game threads.

So responding emotionally to people reacting to your emotional posting style may not be the best way out of this if you want my advice.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2018, 10:57 AM   #342
Deegee
First Line Centre

Exp:

I strongly thought the Flames should have dumped Bennett this off season as I felt he was going to complete his destiny as a bust this year.

I am very excited to eat crow if his play continues like this. Very excited.
Deegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 11:03 AM   #343
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Struch View Post
It appeared Sam was benched after that four minute penalty, Bennett momentarily lost his cool. I thought that may have been the turning point in the game, had the Av's scored and went up 3-1 in the last half of the third period.

Why was Tkachuk in the box serving that penalty for Bennett?
He wasn't benched. He was in the penalty box next time Neal and Backlund shift cane up. He was back with them the next time.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 11:08 AM   #344
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
My take from a distance?

I think emotional ditch to ditch reactions to things is what they are suggesting. It's your right and it can certainly be your style, but "baby with the bath water" posts are the reason I don't go near the game threads.

So responding emotionally to people reacting to your emotional posting style may not be the best way out of this if you want my advice.
Thanks for the actual feedback and for running a good site. I'll be the first to admit that my posting style is divisive and it puts things out there that perhaps aren't the norm, or what everybody wants to hear. And that's partially on me -- I'm super emotionally invested into this team, and I guess I let that bleed through too often.

I hardly think I'm alone in that regard, but that's honestly just bias, probably. I don't want to alienate anyone or drive anybody off the site, and if I'm doing that, it's probably best to take me off the site for a while.

Deegee -- Count me in, then. I'll never post in one again, they really are useless. It's either people saying the name of someone who scored (plus exclamation points), posting cars, or getting mad. What's the point?

Last edited by TheScorpion; 10-14-2018 at 11:17 AM.
TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 11:14 AM   #345
Deegee
First Line Centre

Exp:

There's a lot of people who are just as you are Scorpion who just avoid game threads because they know how they react.

Myself include.
Deegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 11:17 AM   #346
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
He wasn't benched. He was in the penalty box next time Neal and Backlund shift cane up. He was back with them the next time.
Yes, what I meant was (at the time) I thought he was benched, as another poster also mentioned in the game thread.
David Struch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 11:30 AM   #347
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like the high emotion of the game threads and the posters that drive it. It's what makes them fun to read through along side the game. People don't need to get at each other, but even that's part of the fun. It's like your drunk buddies yelling at each other at a bar.

PGT are for analysis. GT is exactly what it is. Watching the game. Reactions are in realtime. Often people are caught ragging on a player only to have them do something awesome (myself included). It's part of the fun. When you're wrong, take it in stride with a smile, when someone is wrong, give them a hard time but keep it light.
Old 10-14-2018, 11:38 AM   #349
Zoller
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I really want to see Johnny on his off wing on the powerplay... And not at the point

He's just so much more dangerous on that right side. Put lindholm on the left point and Gio on the right point. Tkachuk in front of the net and Monahan in the slot... Classic umbrella powerplay

Something like this but obviously Lindholm being a RHS on his off wing

Zoller is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Zoller For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2018, 11:39 AM   #350
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Thanks for the actual feedback and for running a good site. I'll be the first to admit that my posting style is divisive and it puts things out there that perhaps aren't the norm, or what everybody wants to hear. And that's partially on me -- I'm super emotionally invested into this team, and I guess I let that bleed through too often.

I hardly think I'm alone in that regard, but that's honestly just bias, probably. I don't want to alienate anyone or drive anybody off the site, and if I'm doing that, it's probably best to take me off the site for a while.

Deegee -- Count me in, then. I'll never post in one again, they really are useless. It's either people saying the name of someone who scored (plus exclamation points), posting cars, or getting mad. What's the point?
Well there's your problem right there. You are young and therefore still have hope for the Flames. A couple of decades of losing and/or mediocrity will correct that. Just let the apathy wash over you. You'll be happier for it.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2018, 11:41 AM   #351
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonarea View Post
We can do without Brodie. Yes he does above average at times but his biggest downfall is that he falls asleep on the ice often. He's definitely not a first paring type.

Bennett threw couple of big hits last night. It was so refreshing to see Flames forward finishing checks (thanks to Bennett and Hathaway)

Our 4th line played awesome as well, winning battles down low and cycling the puck, etc
Brodie has struggled in the last two seasons and deserved all the criticism people tossed his way.

But this year?

4th on the team in possession stats, and third on the team in shot attempts allowed per 60 minutes.

Counting stats? 3rd in +/-, 6th in scoring, 2nd in ice time.

Not sure how much more this guy needs to do to prove a bounce back in 5 games (sample size warning of course)
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2018, 11:51 AM   #352
ClassicFlames04
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I know this Backlund conversation is regarding his contract and play over time but in my opinion to date or with the lens of "what have you done for me lately?" he has earned every penny.

Tonight is a prime example how he does the little things right. Bennett's goal is a direct result of his well thought out shot. The shot was hard, low and in a place where Varlamov was going to leave a rebound. Backlund is smart and makes many plays like this throughout the game. Another prime example was his net drive on the PK. His ability to protect the puck with one hand on the stick and drive the net at the same time is not something we see many Flames players do confidently.

There should be no expectation of an offensive explosion of out Backlund. The expectation should be for him to contribute in all aspects of the game. To date I have not seen that fall off.
ClassicFlames04 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ClassicFlames04 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2018, 11:56 AM   #353
red sky
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Haven't seen much or any commentary on Gio's play. Such a solid game and wins so many puck battles.
red sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 12:08 PM   #354
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by red sky View Post
Haven't seen much or any commentary on Gio's play. Such a solid game and wins so many puck battles.
Reminds me of Lidstrom in the sense of how much better he seems to be getting into his 30s when he should be fading away.

Gio-Brodie is a top three defense pair in the world. Fullstop. Only other two on the same tier are Vlasic-Karlsson and Ekholm-Subban. Quote me on it.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."

Last edited by GranteedEV; 10-14-2018 at 12:11 PM.
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 12:22 PM   #355
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Really enjoyable game. The tying goal and game winner got me off the couch and cheering out loud watching the game solo. I loved how the team controlled the game for the second half and when this team is playing their style they are fun to watch. I can already see an identity that was missing for the last 2 years developing. The returns are early but this team leads the league in 3rd period goals and 2 of their 3 wins were 3rd period comebacks.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 12:30 PM   #356
Jore
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicFlames04 View Post
I know this Backlund conversation is regarding his contract and play over time but in my opinion to date or with the lens of "what have you done for me lately?" he has earned every penny.

Tonight is a prime example how he does the little things right. Bennett's goal is a direct result of his well thought out shot. The shot was hard, low and in a place where Varlamov was going to leave a rebound. Backlund is smart and makes many plays like this throughout the game. Another prime example was his net drive on the PK. His ability to protect the puck with one hand on the stick and drive the net at the same time is not something we see many Flames players do confidently.

There should be no expectation of an offensive explosion of out Backlund. The expectation should be for him to contribute in all aspects of the game. To date I have not seen that fall off.
he also routinely wins puck battles deep in his own zone and skates it out under heavy pressure like it's no problem. he is highly important to the team as currently constructed
Jore is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jore For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2018, 12:32 PM   #357
Racki
First Line Centre

Exp:

The theme of this post game thread has been the coaching of Bill Peters and the resurgence of Sam Bennett. I think there’s a direct link between point A and point B for sure.

It’s easy to pile on Gulutzan now that he’s gone but it’s difficult not to when the difference between the two coaches is so tangibly evident. As it relates to in game adjustments Peters has just shown himself to be so much more competent.

As it relates to point B and Sam Bennett - I truly believe that Gulutzan had Bennett thoroughly tied in knots. Peters has shown confidence in Sam and Sam is rewarding him. Could this finally be the year that we get the Sam Bennett that we thought we were getting?

Last edited by Racki; 10-14-2018 at 12:35 PM.
Racki is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Racki For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2018, 12:40 PM   #358
flamesrule14
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Here's the thing - we can't condemn the team for standing up for themselves and each other if we want a good "team". It's part of it.

In the long-term, it will help our team be better to have guys not taking crap on the ice.
Yep 100% agree. That’s a penalty I’ll take look how the team responded on that kill. Was a great kill and the Avs didn’t get a shot and didn’t really even get a good chance. Those types of penalties the team steps up and finds a way to kill it.
flamesrule14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 12:41 PM   #359
Lanny'sDaMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Gio-Brodie is a top three defense pair in the world. Fullstop. Only other two on the same tier are Vlasic-Karlsson and Ekholm-Subban. Quote me on it.

Done and done.
Lanny'sDaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lanny'sDaMan For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2018, 12:42 PM   #360
DylanScores
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

My son and I were at the game last night and it was very nice to see the good guys win!

Few observations:

Johnny, Money and Lindholm dominated and just took over in the second period.

Neal, Bennett- played hard and were on the “line” but never crossed it! Glad to see Bennett get rewarded with a goal!

Backlund was chirping Landeskog all night after his hit to Anderson. Glad to see Backlund getting involved and just being vocal!

The fourth line was great as well.

Rittich was excellent!!

Gio and Brodie were great and liked combining the vets with the rookies on defence!

Another observation from the game was how sour the Avs fan were after the game. Someone wearing a McKinnon jersey was shouting U S A during the game and one of the Avs fan sitting to the dude said “ Do you know that he’s Canadian?!” Pretty funny!

Last edited by DylanScores; 10-14-2018 at 12:45 PM. Reason: Ok
DylanScores is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DylanScores For This Useful Post: