Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2020, 08:47 PM   #121
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Don’t like the gamble or play call there. It’s a close game, why not take the easy FG to tie things up?
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 08:58 PM   #122
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Don’t like the gamble or play call there. It’s a close game, why not take the easy FG to tie things up?

I always struggle with that when I'm coaching in a game situation. You tend to do a lot of math in your head

Time left
How good their offense is
How good your defense is
Can you hold a 1+1 score lead (4 points)
Field position, if I'm deep and my defense is good, I'm going for it, because even if I fail I can win the field position battle.

Add on the personal side

Beyond trust of your players, will my aggression pay off.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 09:15 PM   #123
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
Man that stadium looks nice..such a shame no-one can be there.

Having the Cowboys christen the Rams new stadium is such a flex on Jerry's stadium
But will LA fans care even once fans are back?
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 09:17 PM   #124
flamingred89
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm only complaining because Gallup is on my fantasy roster but that was a BS call for offensive PI.
flamingred89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 09:17 PM   #125
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I always struggle with that when I'm coaching in a game situation. You tend to do a lot of math in your head

Time left
How good their offense is
How good your defense is
Can you hold a 1+1 score lead (4 points)
Field position, if I'm deep and my defense is good, I'm going for it, because even if I fail I can win the field position battle.

Add on the personal side

Beyond trust of your players, will my aggression pay off.
4th quarter you gotta tie the game when you can. There may be no more scores after that, like here.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 09:18 PM   #126
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingred89 View Post
I'm only complaining because Gallup is on my fantasy roster but that was a BS call for offensive PI.
Defensive backs are getting good at the head snap.

Old 09-13-2020, 09:18 PM   #127
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It's funny because the logic for going for it there should only apply if it's 4-8 points because you still have to score again with a FG. But yeah down 3 against Jared Goff, probably should take the tie.
Old 09-13-2020, 09:18 PM   #128
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

The Browns fell to 1-20-1 in season openers since their rebirth in 1999.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 09:18 PM   #129
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Boy that looked like a vintage Jason Garrett loss.
Old 09-13-2020, 09:23 PM   #130
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

my god those rams jerseys are an abortion
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 10:26 PM   #131
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
my god those rams jerseys are an abortion
I did not know it was possible to screw up white.

Old 09-13-2020, 10:28 PM   #132
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Man those Rams uniforms look like they were lifted from the Chargers.
They look like they were trying to come up with a concept uniform that would share a lot of parts with the Chargers...than forgot to finish it off.

When a highschool football probram is facing budget cuts and decides on cheaper jerseys to save a few bucks..this is what they would look like.

Last edited by Sylvanfan; 09-14-2020 at 12:25 AM.
Sylvanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 11:29 PM   #133
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Well my initial observations thus far.

NFC East is still terrible. The team who can't figure out what they should call themselves will most likely be no worse than first place two weeks into the season.

NFC South is not terrible, but the Saints should win it pretty easily. Tom Brady might find out that Sith Lord Bellichick was scaling back the offence on him for good reason...letting Tom do too much now hurts more than it helps. Carolina look medicore, and Atlanta is still bad. We'll see if they fall for the 1-6 start that ends at 7-9 as a reason to keep Dan Quinn on again.

NFC North the Vikings defence isn't what it was, and this is Cousins last year as a Viking. Packers maybe didn't make as much noise in the offseason...but they were in the NFC Championship game last year and might get back again this years.

NFC West likely is the best Division in Football. Arizona is obvioulsy much better, and if the Rams are the last place team...they're at worst mediocre. San Francisco likley suffers the fate of other "Flash" teams where they likely fall back a few wins from last year. Still I think they are good enough to win no less than 9 games. Seattle still have the best QB in the Division which usually makes you the team to beat.

AFC East will be a two team race between New England and Buffalo. Adam Gase likely is the first coach axed this season, and it's probably Tua time in Miami by week 5.

AFC South depending on how the Tennessee and Denver game goes...Jacksonville might be leading this Division. That's the one team I doubt anyone picked to win it. I think Tennessee is the best team here and the margin might be greater than I originally thought.

AFC North will be dominated by the Ravens. Steelers likley challenge for a Wild Card spot, but the Bengals will do Bengal things to ensure Burrow can't win more than 5 games, and the Browns look worse than they did under Freddy Kitchens...which seems impossible.

AFC West thanks to 0 Division games, has a chance to have 4 teams sitting at 1-0 by this time tomorrow night. Looks like some of these other teams could all be pretty solid in their own right and won't just give the Division to the Chiefs. Denver has some interesting pieces although the Miller loss hurts. Los Angeles has a good defence, and the Raiders offence looked better today than pretty much any other game under Gruden since his return.

Last edited by Sylvanfan; 09-13-2020 at 11:40 PM.
Sylvanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sylvanfan For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2020, 12:55 AM   #134
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post

NFC East is still terrible. The team who can't figure out what they should call themselves will most likely be no worse than first place two weeks into the season.

NFC South is not terrible, but the Saints should win it pretty easily. Tom Brady might find out that Sith Lord Bellichick was scaling back the offence on him for good reason...letting Tom do too much now hurts more than it helps. Carolina look medicore, and Atlanta is still bad. We'll see if they fall for the 1-6 start that ends at 7-9 as a reason to keep Dan Quinn on again.

NFC North the Vikings defence isn't what it was, and this is Cousins last year as a Viking. Packers maybe didn't make as much noise in the offseason...but they were in the NFC Championship game last year and might get back again this years.

NFC West likely is the best Division in Football. Arizona is obvioulsy much better, and if the Rams are the last place team...they're at worst mediocre. San Francisco likley suffers the fate of other "Flash" teams where they likely fall back a few wins from last year. Still I think they are good enough to win no less than 9 games. Seattle still have the best QB in the Division which usually makes you the team to beat.

AFC East will be a two team race between New England and Buffalo. Adam Gase likely is the first coach axed this season, and it's probably Tua time in Miami by week 5.

AFC South depending on how the Tennessee and Denver game goes...Jacksonville might be leading this Division. That's the one team I doubt anyone picked to win it. I think Tennessee is the best team here and the margin might be greater than I originally thought.

AFC North will be dominated by the Ravens. Steelers likley challenge for a Wild Card spot, but the Bengals will do Bengal things to ensure Burrow can't win more than 5 games, and the Browns look worse than they did under Freddy Kitchens...which seems impossible.

AFC West thanks to 0 Division games, has a chance to have 4 teams sitting at 1-0 by this time tomorrow night. Looks like some of these other teams could all be pretty solid in their own right and won't just give the Division to the Chiefs. Denver has some interesting pieces although the Miller loss hurts. Los Angeles has a good defence, and the Raiders offence looked better today than pretty much any other game under Gruden since his return.
Great analysis.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 09:59 AM   #135
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Take a moment to dunk on the Falcons today, who

- had the natural advantage of playing a west coast team at 1:00 Eastern
- opened the roof and made Seattle play in 90 degree Southern slop (and stand on the sunny side!)
- still got their asses kicked all day long.

Last edited by GirlySports; 09-14-2020 at 10:02 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2020, 10:06 AM   #136
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
Take a moment to dunk on the Falcons today, who

- had the natural advantage of playing a west coast team at 1:00 Eastern
- opened the roof and made Seattle play in 90 degree Southern slop (and stand on the sunny side!)
- still got their asses kicked all day long.
This is why you never put stock into garbage time wins after a team is already out of the playoff race. Quinn should have never kept his job after the last few seasons as that team is going absolutely nowhere.
Old 09-14-2020, 10:37 AM   #137
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post

A tradition unlike any other: Week One overreactions. Not that any of this is bad analysis, but week one in a normal season means very little, so in a year with no preseason at all it means even less.
Old 09-14-2020, 02:26 PM   #138
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
A tradition unlike any other: Week One overreactions. Not that any of this is bad analysis, but week one in a normal season means very little, so in a year with no preseason at all it means even less.
Yeah, I get it, but it's still something I like to do. At the end of the season I'm accountable for what I was wrong on, and can see what might have been right.

Injuries will happen and shift the paradigm on something. Other teams who I think were going to be bad will manage to play well enough to claim a playoff spot, and someone that I think was good will end up sucking hard.
Old 09-14-2020, 05:20 PM   #139
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Haha of course after the Giants recover a Pitt muffed return on the 2 yard line, they can't punch it in and have to settle for an FG. Awful
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 05:39 PM   #140
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Winnipeg native Chase Claypool made an unbelievable toe tap catch for his first ever NFL catch...wowzers
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sainters7 For This Useful Post:

Tags
covid xix