Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2020, 12:00 PM   #641
red sky
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by you&me View Post
We'll get take out, fast food, etc as a family for lunch, dinner, treats like ice cream after soccer, etc maybe a 2-4 of other times a week.

We have young kids and pizza/movie night has just become a 'thing' we do on Fridays. The kids rotate turns picking movies, pick toppings for 'their' pizza and we have a couple of go-tos that we pick up from on the way home from kids' activities on Friday... Just routine at this point.

Otherwise, the wife and I try and order something less kid-friendly a few nights a months after the kids are in bed as a mini date night.

All said, we probably only eat non-homecooked meals ~20 times a month.
Only?
red sky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to red sky For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2020, 12:08 PM   #642
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by red sky View Post
Only?
Hahaha, I'd originally written "~10" (as you can see, I edited my posted), which is probably more accurate. But then I figured someone would call me on the math of pizza every week (4/month) and saying 2-4 other "meals" per week (8-16/month), so I changed it up...

We're a family of 6, so pre-COVID, we're pretty freakin busy and spend a lot of time out of the house, between activities, etc...
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 12:21 PM   #643
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CofR View Post
I have never had CPU sober
Most haven't. CPU also seems to pretty much guarantee the ####s the next day. But this might also be a symptom of the state you need to be in to eat CPU.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 01:06 PM   #644
Pizza
Poster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Most haven't. CPU also seems to pretty much guarantee the ####s the next day. But this might also be a symptom of the state you need to be in to eat CPU.
We wanted to do a pizza lunch for the team and one of the girls suggested CPU and bragged how much value you got. She firmly stood by it and thought it was the best pizza in the world. Everyone was convinced so we ended up ordered it. It looked good and tasted good but after couple hours after eating, I didnt feel right. I remember sitting through the rest of my shift, head on my desk, clutching my stomach and not wanting to move. Another coworker, who i worked closely with, endured the same pains

If you have to pay a few dollars more for a better Pizza, do it. That pain aint worth it
Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 10:47 AM   #645
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

We tried POW pizza last night - it was pretty good, and we would order again. I had the Hawaiian though and was surprised they don't put the tomato sauce on top of that one. I was looking forward to that. Why do they offer some pizzas without sauce?
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 11:34 AM   #646
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ordered from Western Pizza in Cranston.

It was quick and pretty good.

Good amount of topping and crust was not soggy.

Will try again.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 11:43 AM   #647
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
We tried POW pizza last night - it was pretty good, and we would order again. I had the Hawaiian though and was surprised they don't put the tomato sauce on top of that one. I was looking forward to that. Why do they offer some pizzas without sauce?
POW would be a great pizza place if it wasn't trying to be so edgy with it's toppings.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2020, 12:00 PM   #648
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Haven't tried that one since they switched from pulled pork to ham, maybe they forgot the sauce?

The Italian Street Meat is pretty amazing, haven't tried the pepperoni but I imagine it is similar. The potato and sausage one is really good but the flavor is a bit overwhelming after a piece or two.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 12:28 PM   #649
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacks View Post
Haven't tried that one since they switched from pulled pork to ham, maybe they forgot the sauce?

The Italian Street Meat is pretty amazing, haven't tried the pepperoni but I imagine it is similar. The potato and sausage one is really good but the flavor is a bit overwhelming after a piece or two.
They've switched from the pulled pork? I might have try it again, that Crime Wave pizza was on the cusp of amazing if it wasn't for that pork. I've just been ordering the Italian Street Meat. Although, now that I think about it, I tried the Crime Wave a couple times (maybe three times) and I don't remember the sauce ever being on top. They just might not do that for every type.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 12:33 PM   #650
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
I called them and they said the Hawaiian does not come with sauce. Maybe you can order it on the side.
Old 05-22-2020, 01:06 PM   #651
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

The sauce is one of the best parts, I'd try the Italian next time.
Old 05-22-2020, 07:40 PM   #652
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodFan View Post
Got a couple of pies ordered from Noble Pie for Friday. They do a limited number each week and open up reservations at noon on Wednesdays, has been selling out every week it seems.

Looking forward to their NY style pizza, haven't had it since they first started up as Eighty-Eight got to be such a zoo to try to get into when there was pizza.
All expectations met. Chewy crust, lots of pepperoni cups, slice folded nice. And the cheesus was super flavorful with lots of different cheeses.
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 05:31 PM   #653
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

https://calgaryherald.com/life/food/...-comfort-food/

Nice article in the Herald on some local pizza places, biggest news (news to me at least) in there is that Bow Tie is opening a third location next month in Sage Hill.
CofR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 07:55 PM   #654
Baron von Kriterium
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Based on discussions here, we tried POW Pizza tonight. I was really impressed. I lived in Windsor for three years, so I am familiar with DSP. When I first looked at their menu, though, I was disappointed in that they only had seven pizzas and of those, I was only interested in the pepperoni, veggie and street meat. I decided on pepperoni and veggie and when I went to order the pepperoni (online) a drop down menu appeared prompting me to add other toppings if I wanted. Great! So the pepperoni turned into pepperoni, mushrooms, olives, and peppers. Other toppings are available, too, but this isn't evident just by looking at their menu.

I have to admit that I prefer the thin crust pizzas but I really enjoyed the taste of this DSP from POW. The crust was perfect as was the cheese. The Baroness even commented that she really liked the cheese.

I found the pizza actually got better as it cooled off.

Bow Tie. The Baroness likes Bow Tie, but I haven't been impressed the past two times we ordered from them. I find their pizzas too soggy for my liking. The last pizza had a really soggy crust. It's much better cold the next day.
Old 05-23-2020, 08:21 PM   #655
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Pizza

I thought Bow Tie was okay. I think it was the sauce that didn’t really do it for me. I find a lot of pizza sauces end up too tangy / acidic, and I like that toned down.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 08:49 PM   #656
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

I tried Bow Tie a few months ago based on recommendations here. The pizza looked great, perfectly cooked, crispy crust, lots of toppings. The only problem is it didn't really taste like anything, it was just bland. I ended up tossing a few pieces in the compost bin which is unheard of. Maybe it was just an off day?
Old 05-23-2020, 09:38 PM   #657
Izzle
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I tried Bow Tie a few months ago based on recommendations here. The pizza looked great, perfectly cooked, crispy crust, lots of toppings. The only problem is it didn't really taste like anything, it was just bland. I ended up tossing a few pieces in the compost bin which is unheard of. Maybe it was just an off day?
I hear ya bud. I had a similar experience when I tried Bow Tie. I think it's the sauce. It has this sweetish taste and wasn't tangy or anything. Maybe that's why it was bland?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Izzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 08:12 AM   #658
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

These place are all too expensive. $25-30 for one pizza? Get real. We have a local place in our neighborhood that's throwing out pretty solid pizzas for $12. Cal City Pizza in Redstone. Delicious, and you get twice as much for your dollar. You're just paying for dumb trendy hipster toppings. Wagyu beef pepperoni, get that #### outta here.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2020, 08:43 AM   #659
8 Ball
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
These place are all too expensive. $25-30 for one pizza? Get real. We have a local place in our neighborhood that's throwing out pretty solid pizzas for $12. Cal City Pizza in Redstone. Delicious, and you get twice as much for your dollar. You're just paying for dumb trendy hipster toppings. Wagyu beef pepperoni, get that #### outta here.
$12.00 pizza lol. Fresh ingredients, and high quality cheese ain’t cheap.
8 Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 09:50 AM   #660
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8 Ball View Post
$12.00 pizza lol. Fresh ingredients, and high quality cheese ain’t cheap.
A friend used to bring over $10 safeway pizzas that were on sale for $5 on Fridays. They were crappy. I’ll spend $25 every time for quality.