Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2024, 09:28 AM   #481
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Every year the draft pundits start picking away at one of the top QB's. Last season it was Stroud, it happened to Herbert and this year it's Maye. No QB is a sure thing but I still think he's a safer pick than Daniels and McCarthy. It's very likely two of the top four busts and the reality is that even the best scouts in the NFL don't know as it's just so difficult to project college QB's into the NFL and sometimes the destination has as much to do with a QB busting as it does the player. Chicago has improved their offense a lot but historically they have fared poorly at developing QB's. Not sure about the Redskins either as supposedly Harris has been far more involved with interviewing the QB's than most owners and that's never a great sign.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 09:37 AM   #482
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am going to laugh when the Vikings or Broncos trade up to draft JJ
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KelVarnsen For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2024, 09:38 AM   #483
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Bias aside JJ has the best chance to be successful out of the four IMO. Caleb’s going to Chicago so he’s going to bust, whomever goes to Washington is screwed, and if NE takes the next guy he’s hosed too. Just by fit it’s more likely a middling to almost good team trades up to get JJ and he’s immediately in a better position to succeed than the rest. Likely Minnesota and he can be Kirk 2.0 and carve out a nice 11th best QB in the league career

As far as Maye eh couldn’t tell ya. Personally I’m averse to ACC QB’s so I wouldn’t want anything to do with him but he does have the measurables. This isn’t a “sexy” draft after those 4 QBs are picked and it’s looking like a depth draft. Trading up is madness and I say trade down down down and accumulate picks for a better year.

I don’t like any of the QB choices really. Caleb’s a jackoff, Daniels is built like a straw man, Maye is Maye, and JJ is a 3rd round developmental pick going top 10.

Last edited by ResAlien; 04-18-2024 at 09:40 AM.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 09:47 AM   #484
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

The weird thing about JJ is that in the fall I saw a lot of scouting reports, mock draft people, etc have him as a 2nd round or later developmental guy but now all of a sudden he's rocketed to top 5. I don't proclaim to know enough about any of those guys but when you see a guy fast tracked like that it it's always a concern. That said I do think being coached by Harbaugh is an advantage and he does have the talent measurables and leadership aspects. If he went to Minnesota he would have two really good WR's to throw to right away so probably set for success better than the other three QB's. I think that at least two of these QB's will turn out to be pretty good. Problem for some of these top drafting teams is that one of them could be Penix.
Old 04-18-2024, 10:04 AM   #485
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

And don’t get me started on Nix and Penix. One throws the ball shorter distances than a handoff and the other can’t pass across the middle of the field. Wasted draft picks and I expect Denver to take Nix way higher than the 5th round, which is where he should be.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 10:13 AM   #486
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
And don’t get me started on Nix and Penix. One throws the ball shorter distances than a handoff and the other can’t pass across the middle of the field. Wasted draft picks and I expect Denver to take Nix way higher than the 5th round, which is where he should be.
Yeah, the only thing that busts harder than an ACC QB is a PAC QB (especially Oregon QBs).
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 10:36 AM   #487
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

This may backfire, but I have a good feeling about Jayden Daniels, just has that "it" factor. I'm still not sold on Caleb Williams. Not saying he's going to bust out, but if his ceiling ends up being mid-level starter, I wouldn't be surprised.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 12:52 PM   #488
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
This may backfire, but I have a good feeling about Jayden Daniels, just has that "it" factor. I'm still not sold on Caleb Williams. Not saying he's going to bust out, but if his ceiling ends up being mid-level starter, I wouldn't be surprised.
I wouldn't say it would backfire as even NFL scouts and GM's get it wrong more than not. I have a good feeling about Penix (massive hands, big arm, impressive 40 time, has overcome adversity, etc) but at the same time, chances are I'm probably wrong.
Old 04-18-2024, 06:26 PM   #489
DropIt
Franchise Player

Exp:

Baffles me that anyone is convinced in JJ Mcarthy. I think he is below Penix personally. Closer to Rattler or Nix.

I think Daniels may flame out due to his stature and play style. The guy takes some HUGE hits, he wont last long doing thatvin the NFL.

Im cautious about Williams but he is going to a pretty well set up team. Maye reminds me of Jay Cutler, which in the end is still a pretty solid NFL starter
DropIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 06:32 PM   #490
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I wouldn't say it would backfire as even NFL scouts and GM's get it wrong more than not. I have a good feeling about Penix (massive hands, big arm, impressive 40 time, has overcome adversity, etc) but at the same time, chances are I'm probably wrong.
I was pretty high on Penix, but then watched a bunch of videos and Res is right. Dude cannot throw to the middle of the field and got bailed out by his WRs a fair amount.

Might be something he can clean up with coaching, but I wouldn't spend a 1st on him.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 06:49 PM   #491
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think Penix's game translates well to the NFL, and I really hope Seattle doesn't go down that route because he's the hometown kid. I get the sense Seattle will draft someone at QB at some point for a couple years down the road, but it should be later rounds.

Defensive coach, defensive players, first and foremost..Offense was decent all things considered, but defense couldn't get off the field fast enough and by the end of the game they were gassed.

Hopefully McDonald as a defensive coach has firm hold of the draft and doesn't let the owner Allen muck around and push for a feel good high pick.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 07:40 AM   #492
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hope the Pats take Maye if he drops to them. I think hes the most NFL ready and has the frame needed to succeed. Big, strong, mobile, with a good arm. His warts can be coached.
I worry that they might take JJ in a trade down scenario, but hope cooler heads prevail.
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 07:54 AM   #493
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's the NFL draft, watch Spencer Rattler end up the best QB of the draft.
Old 04-19-2024, 07:58 AM   #494
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
I was pretty high on Penix, but then watched a bunch of videos and Res is right. Dude cannot throw to the middle of the field and got bailed out by his WRs a fair amount.

Might be something he can clean up with coaching, but I wouldn't spend a 1st on him.
Charlie Weis was talking about this in regards to Nix and Penix. By all accounts Nix threw deep balls well enough in pro day and combine and Weis was saying that a QB shouldn't be penalized for operating within the framework of offensive system that clearly was designed around getting the ball out quickly. Same with Penix in that throws down the middle of the field will be less than other QB's when you are completing more deep balls than anyone else. Also it's a bit of a myth that he can't throw to the middle of the field.

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2024-...liber-prospect
Quote:
Statistically, he works the middle of the field at an exactly average rate relative to this draft class, and the closest you can come to finding an area where he is deficient is by filtering to an extremely narrow window 20-30 yards downfield across the middle, which he targets slightly less frequently than other quarterbacks. This can just as easily be explained simply by scheme than it is by any flaw in his game.
I just think by this time of the year these players are micro analyzed too much and that factors into why teams miss so much on QB's as they find reasons to talk themselves out of drafting QB's when the focus should be on reasons to draft them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
It's the NFL draft, watch Spencer Rattler end up the best QB of the draft.
I think that's a long shot but I wouldn't be suprised if he ends up being a player as he has a solid toolbox and unlike other QB's he's had to function behind a terrible offensive line. Purdy is an example of what can happen if a QB falls to the right team. I wouldn't be shocked if he's picked in the 2nd round.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 04-19-2024 at 08:05 AM.
Old 04-19-2024, 02:32 PM   #495
DropIt
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese View Post
I hope the Pats take Maye if he drops to them. I think hes the most NFL ready and has the frame needed to succeed. Big, strong, mobile, with a good arm. His warts can be coached.
I worry that they might take JJ in a trade down scenario, but hope cooler heads prevail.
Interesting
Ive seen a few scout reports say he is possibly the least NFL ready of the 4 and NE would be an ideal situation because of the ability to sit for a season on an expected basement dweller
DropIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 02:41 PM   #496
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Sounds like Jamarcus Russell.
Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 03:07 PM   #497
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Penix has work ethic, Russell didn't.
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KelVarnsen For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2024, 04:53 PM   #498
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

I still love JaMarcus Russell. Happy to see his name brought back to life.
Old 04-19-2024, 05:12 PM   #499
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DropIt View Post
Interesting
Ive seen a few scout reports say he is possibly the least NFL ready of the 4 and NE would be an ideal situation because of the ability to sit for a season on an expected basement dweller

Ive seen both sides for sure, just my inexperienced view looking at video, his size, mobility etc. I hope whoever they draft gets some clipboard time.
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 10:25 AM   #500
MRCboicgy
Referee

Exp:

oof

https://twitter.com/user/status/1782437612579393996

A bit more detail and follow-up, with throwbacks, etc https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/sta...24651236245707