Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-21-2018, 08:52 PM   #3681
Johnhitbox
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by savemedrzaius View Post
Dubas was probably just in NY so decided to catch a game. Whole lotta nothing.

Rangers don't really have any good young D on the same level as Nylander that I'm aware of anyways.

I really never thought this would go on as long as it has though and Matthews needs Nylander back. His line looks horrible 5v5.
Probably yeah.
Old 10-21-2018, 08:53 PM   #3682
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
I don't think Valimaki + 2019 1st + 2020 2nd would get it done.
Brodie + Frolik + 2nd would be an automatic hang up.
Trading Valimaki for Nylander one for one would be a bad trade for the Flames.

Defencemen > Wingers.

We have enough wingers. Giordano - Hanifin - Valimaki is a strength. Subtracting him would turn that third pairing into a weakness.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2018, 09:01 PM   #3683
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hope the Flames remember Gary Leeman, the 50 goals man.

Old 10-21-2018, 09:01 PM   #3684
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post

Defencemen > Wingers.

We have enough wingers. Giordano - Hanifin - Valimaki is a strength. Subtracting him would turn that third pairing into a weakness.
Yes, and that's why it won't happen.
Old 10-21-2018, 09:06 PM   #3685
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post

Defencemen > Wingers.

Ok so Liljegren for Tkachuk is a great deal for you guys? You guys can stack your D Leafs can stack the forwards.Tkachuk-Matthews-Nylander yes please!
Old 10-21-2018, 09:09 PM   #3686
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Ok so Liljegren for Tkachuk is a great deal for you guys? You guys can stack your D Leafs can stack the forwards.Tkachuk-Matthews-Nylander yes please!
You're on the right track, except Liljegren is worse than Valimaki and Tkachuk is much better than Nylander.

Old 10-21-2018, 09:10 PM   #3687
Mitch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Tkachuk is a lot better than Nylander & Valimaki is a lot better than Liljegren. Bad comparison.
Old 10-21-2018, 09:24 PM   #3688
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

Most prospect rankings have Liljegren above Valimaki. It's a crap-shoot at this point and there is no way to definitively say one is better than the other. So what exactly are you basing this on other than Dey play for da Flames?

And comparing Nylander and Tkachuk? Well Athletic had this thing a couple days ago.

Spoiler!

That guy just ahead of him is all-world though!

So Nylander puts up better numbers but Tkachuk has those tasty intangibles, so I think it's fair to call it a wash.

You guys show me what makes you think your two Flames are miles ahead of the two players I suggested.
Old 10-21-2018, 09:35 PM   #3689
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lol gotta love leaf fans. Liljegren is all you frigin hear about here in Toronto, he has been ok, but Valimaki has proven to be a better prospect in his draft year and every day since the.

cue the: but he played and won the ahl championship as a 19 year old (or whatever), while completely ignoring the fact the Marlies barely played him, heck, they scratched him during the playoffs.

Nylander asking for boat loads great,$7.5-$8M!
Tavares signing, heck, a discount at $11M,great!
Mathews securing himself mcdavid level $12M, great!
Marner securing himself at least $8M, great!

All while not winning the cup due to that garbage defence, perfect!

No way they can afford all those forwards, and nylanders trade value is what exactly at the moment? How about a month from now? Even if he signs, he doesn't fix what ails their cup aspirations, he just further hinders their ability to get better defensively.

Dubas and the leafs should have tried to be moving nylander to shore up their d before the ink dried on the tavares signing.

Anyways, always glad to see the leafs falter
The Following User Says Thank You to bubbsy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2018, 09:39 PM   #3690
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Most prospect rankings have Liljegren above Valimaki. It's a crap-shoot at this point and there is no way to definitively say one is better than the other. So what exactly are you basing this on other than Dey play for da Flames?

And comparing Nylander and Tkachuk? Well Athletic had this thing a couple days ago.

Spoiler!

So Nylander puts up better numbers but Tkachuk has those tasty intangibles, so I think it's fair to call it a wash.

You guys show me what makes you think your two Flames are miles ahead of the two players I suggested.
No body cares about the leafs
The Following User Says Thank You to jlh2640 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2018, 09:47 PM   #3691
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

This is bit of a silly debate. There's no trade to be made between the Flames and Leafs for Nylander. It doesn't make much sense for either side. The guy the Leafs would have wanted in the deal is playing for Carolina now.

I think the Flames are quite content to let the season play out and see what they have. Barring an long term injury to mike smith, I'm not expecting anything until the deadline.
The Following User Says Thank You to TOfan For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2018, 09:47 PM   #3692
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
Lol gotta love leaf fans. Liljegren is all you frigin hear about here in Toronto, he has been ok, but Valimaki has proven to be a better prospect in his draft year and every day since the.

cue the: but he played and won the ahl championship as a 19 year old (or whatever), while completely ignoring the fact the Marlies barely played him, heck, they scratched him during the playoffs.

Nylander asking for boat loads great,$7.5-$8M!
Tavares signing, heck, a discount at $11M,great!
Mathews securing himself mcdavid level $12M, great!
Marner securing himself at least $8M, great!

All while not winning the cup due to that garbage defence, perfect!

No way they can afford all those forwards, and nylanders trade value is what exactly at the moment? How about a month from now? Even if he signs, he doesn't fix what ails their cup aspirations, he just further hinders their ability to get better defensively.

Dubas and the leafs should have tried to be moving nylander to shore up their d before the ink dried on the tavares signing.

Anyways, always glad to see the leafs falter
Whole lotta nothing right here^^^ Whole lotta bluster but not much said.

Please show me how "Valimaki has proven to be a better prospect in his draft year and every day since the."

Liljegren was 18 playing in the AHL. This year he is 19. He'll turn 20 on April 30.

Just going by a few rankings: Pronman Liljegren #32 Valamaki #80

NHL.com Valimaki #32 Liljegren #39

Sporting News Liljegren #41 Valimaki Not ranked
Old 10-21-2018, 09:54 PM   #3693
IamNotKenKing
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Spoiler!

Points per 60 is not the best stat to use for comparing players. The fact Rakell is ahead of Crosby in points per 60 should confirm for all that this stat does not state which player is “better” than another.
The Following User Says Thank You to IamNotKenKing For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2018, 10:00 PM   #3694
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well one kid looks great so far at the nhl level, the other didn't make a leafs d that is publicly acknowledged as bad.

It's funny, for accusing my post for 'a whole lotta nothing' you sure don't have much data driven substance other than typical Toronto fan hype built off listening to the media that make all that $ pumping the leafs up, warranted or not.

Also, 'lol' for pronman rankings being a data point for why one prospect is better than another.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bubbsy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2018, 10:01 PM   #3695
jonkaupp
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Using points per 60 to make this argument is ludicrous but not unsurprising given the fan base
Old 10-21-2018, 10:11 PM   #3696
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamNotKenKing View Post
Points per 60 is not the best stat to use for comparing players. The fact Rakell is ahead of Crosby in points per 60 should confirm for all that this stat does not state which player is “better” than another.
It's not perfect but no stat is.

Tkachuk thoughout his playing career has played on avg more than a minute per game than Nylander.

Nylander has always been on PP2 so his PP minutes are also extremely low.

For example 2017-2018 season Tkachuk avg 2:58 PP time per game ranking the 81st highest in the league.

Nylander avg 2:01 PP time per game ranking 232rd.

I'm using stats to back my argument that Liljegren and Nylander are at the very least comparable players to the Flames ones mentioned.

No one has showed me what they are using to back their claims.

Anyways, nevermind. It's pointless.

Last edited by savemedrzaius; 10-21-2018 at 10:13 PM.
Old 10-21-2018, 10:24 PM   #3697
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have no issue in the nylander vs tkatchuk comparison, it's definitely close, but also difficult, as both players bring a different tangible element required to winning.

I just get frustrated at the blind faith in liljegren by a lot of the eastern media and leaf folks, and their ignorance that Valimaki has shown more at the junior, world junior and pro levels.

It's a meaningless debate. None of these players are being moved for one another.
Old 10-21-2018, 10:25 PM   #3698
BigErnSalute_16
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Whole lotta nothing right here^^^ Whole lotta bluster but not much said.

Please show me how "Valimaki has proven to be a better prospect in his draft year and every day since the."

Liljegren was 18 playing in the AHL. This year he is 19. He'll turn 20 on April 30.

Just going by a few rankings: Pronman Liljegren #32 Valamaki #80

NHL.com Valimaki #32 Liljegren #39

Sporting News Liljegren #41 Valimaki Not ranked
Well, I mean, maybe the fact that Valimaki was drafted right next to Liljegren and has already cracked the NHL despite playing for a team with a much deeper defence, would prove that he's a better prospect.

Not saying Liljegren isn't a good prospect but the way Valimaki has been playing he'd instantly be top 4 on the Leafs while Liljegren would still be playing in the AHL.

At this point, I'd say Liljegren and Kylington are much more comparable prospects than Liljegren and Valimaki are.
Old 10-21-2018, 10:35 PM   #3699
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Dubas was probably just in NY so decided to catch a game. Whole lotta nothing.

Rangers don't really have any good young D on the same level as Nylander that I'm aware of anyways.

I really never thought this would go on as long as it has though and Matthews needs Nylander back. His line looks horrible 5v5.
Really? You think Dubas just happened to find himself in NYC by chance? So he decided to catch a game for the fun of it? Obviously he was there to do some scouting. Could have something to do with Nylander, could have nothing to do with him. GM's are busy people- he isn't going to fly to NYC to see a hockey game for a vacation.

Skjei for Nylander could be a good basis for a deal.
Old 10-21-2018, 10:49 PM   #3700
pepper24
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rumour I’ve heard is Bennett, Stone, and Defense Prospect (Kylington?) for Nylander.

A lot of Bennett trade rumours lately and decisions to be made when Haminic returns. Interesting that’s Leafs GM was at game.
Closed Thread