Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-09-2019, 04:52 PM   #321
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calf View Post
I have a Pixel 3 - it seems that every so often it'll vibrate like a notification has come through, but there's no notification that I can find (even in notification settings). Anyone else deal with this? Not a big issue, but can certainly be annoying.
My 3XL will do that occasionally but it seems to be around notifications I receive elsewhere that may have just been a little slow to be received on the phone. I mostly see it around my outlook notifications for my work email.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 08:44 AM   #322
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

For phantom notifications

https://www.reddit.com/r/GooglePixel...notifications/
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 02:34 PM   #323
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese View Post
I wasn't getting the phantom notifications, but I was getting an offline file repeatedly downloading. Thankfully someone else solved that in that thread!
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 05:04 AM   #324
FCAV
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Anyone have thoughts on the new OnePlus 7 Pro?

https://www.oneplus.com/ca_en/7pro?from=head#/
FCAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 07:37 AM   #325
keratosis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCAV View Post
Anyone have thoughts on the new OnePlus 7 Pro?

https://www.oneplus.com/ca_en/7pro?from=head#/
For me part of the charm of one+ was flagship specs for an awesome price.
That appears to have fallen to the wayside.

Last edited by keratosis; 05-18-2019 at 07:59 AM.
keratosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 03:27 AM   #326
FCAV
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keratosis View Post
For me part of the charm of one+ was flagship specs for an awesome price.
That appears to have fallen to the wayside.
In all fairness, it is still a good chunk cheaper than the iPhones and Samsungs et al of the world, with what appears to be equal or better specs in some regards (though I don't know how to make sense of all of it, hence me asking others about it).

Though what sticks me a little is that it's $669 USD ($900 CDN), but in Canada we're dinged at a $999 starting price. They also barely touched the price of the 6T, dropping it $40, so there's that, too.
FCAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 08:55 AM   #327
keratosis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

If you head over to XDA developers there should be threads about the one+7 on the site by now. Plenty of early adopters there. I believe most complaints at this time are software related. Early bugs with the camera, that sort of thing.

Last edited by keratosis; 05-19-2019 at 09:09 AM.
Old 05-19-2019, 04:19 PM   #328
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Huawei phones are dead

https://twitter.com/user/status/1130184778618159107
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2019, 06:41 PM   #329
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well, that sucks. I was going to get into one realtively soon. Well now what. Back to Oneplus then.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 08:15 PM   #330
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone else using the Android Q beta? I'm thinking of reverting to Pie it's so bad, I have several apps that will not open at all.

I get it's a Beta and all that, but this has been the worst release I can remember.
Old 05-20-2019, 08:00 AM   #331
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
Huawei phones are not dead, that tweet is inaccurate. Go to Android's site itself, all current Huawei phones will still receive updates from Google. This will affect only any future Huawei phones which probably won't happen either after China and the US come to a trade agreement. This is all politics, you really think Google wants to lose billions of dollars by not supplying Huawei? They don't have a choice right now because Trump is an idiot but this won't last long. There currently won't be any android updates but access to the Play Store and updates for Google apps will still remain.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5142448

Last edited by dissentowner; 05-20-2019 at 08:04 AM.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2019, 09:00 AM   #332
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Anyone else using the Android Q beta? I'm thinking of reverting to Pie it's so bad, I have several apps that will not open at all.

I get it's a Beta and all that, but this has been the worst release I can remember.
I had to revert as well. I can live with buggy, but it rendered a couple of my go-to apps useless. Android Auto being unable to use my cars audio was the deal-breaker.

I've always been a beta user but I will probably wait until it's nearly ready to go this time.
psicodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 10:38 AM   #333
keratosis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

Just downloaded it for my essential phone, too early to tell but seem okay so far. Q as far as I can tell comes from essential so may be slightly different from Google's.

Last edited by keratosis; 05-20-2019 at 11:12 AM.
Old 05-21-2019, 03:21 PM   #334
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by psicodude View Post
Maybe try another OS like Lineage? Most of the alternative Android OS's give you a lot more control over the device and may help. I'm not really familiar with that phone and how difficult it is to put another OS on it though.

Edit: Looks like it would work easily: https://forum.xda-developers.com/gal...xy-j3-t3667015
Has anyone played around with Lineage? I did a search in this thread and this is the only post that came up.

Thinking of putting it on my old Nexus 6P and taking it for a spin while they figure out Q.
Old 05-21-2019, 03:27 PM   #335
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Has anyone played around with Lineage? I did a search in this thread and this is the only post that came up.

Thinking of putting it on my old Nexus 6P and taking it for a spin while they figure out Q.
I use Lineage all the time. Have it on my Note3 and Essential PH-1 right now. For the most part it works but there can be quirks with proprietary Google parts like assistant.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Galakanokis For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2019, 09:09 AM   #336
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Huawei phones are not dead, that tweet is inaccurate. Go to Android's site itself, all current Huawei phones will still receive updates from Google. This will affect only any future Huawei phones which probably won't happen either after China and the US come to a trade agreement. This is all politics, you really think Google wants to lose billions of dollars by not supplying Huawei? They don't have a choice right now because Trump is an idiot but this won't last long. There currently won't be any android updates but access to the Play Store and updates for Google apps will still remain.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5142448
Current phones will only receive updates for another 90 days unless something changes.

Last edited by Ashasx; 05-22-2019 at 09:30 AM.
Old 05-22-2019, 10:45 AM   #337
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
Current phones will only receive updates for another 90 days unless something changes.

Again, not true. American companies can still supply and do business with Huawei for a 90 day extension. That has nothing to do with updates to google apps which will still happen for current Huawei phone users, even after 90 days.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 10:52 AM   #338
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Marques even gives an example of another Chinese company that was drowned for the exact same reason. I don't know what else to say. He's not lying in that video.
Old 05-22-2019, 11:37 AM   #339
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Again, not true. American companies can still supply and do business with Huawei for a 90 day extension. That has nothing to do with updates to google apps which will still happen for current Huawei phone users, even after 90 days.
From everything I'm reading, I think you're wrong. Google has said that the ban precludes them from doing any business with Huawei, which includes all Google services. The Play Store is included in those services, from what I can tell. In addition, the actual companies who own said apps are unable to sell their services to Huawei users as well. According to the graphic Marques used, that's 19 of the top 20 apps.

This ban effectively forces Huawei to create their own OS and app store, which is a disaster for everyone. Either that or Huawei owners are forced underground, which is really scary.

My guess is that this is merely political posturing and will likely be overturned before the 90 days are up. There's no way that China sits back and watches one of their largest companies get gutted like this. Maybe a ban on Apple products in China? Either that, or we start to see a massive separation between products sold in Asia vs EU/NA, which is bad for consumers.

It's a mess for sure.
psicodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 11:41 AM   #340
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Welll faaaaaaaack, I was about to pull the pin & get a Huawei P30 Pro for my birthday. Glad I held off, I guess? Kinda glad I checked this thread, was going to ask if anyone had the HP30P yet, and how they liked it...
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote