Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk

View Poll Results: What are you buying?
Xbox One 66 15.46%
PS4 189 44.26%
Changed from Xbox One to PS4 8 1.87%
Changed from PS4 to Xbox One 6 1.41%
Getting both (eventually) 30 7.03%
Waiting for more info 60 14.05%
Not getting either 68 15.93%
Voters: 427. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-04-2014, 12:24 PM   #3801
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Same with the controller. Surprised they're still doing battery powered controllers too. Controller feels alright -- triggers feel a little strange after only playing Playstation for so long!
The triggers will feel strange, definitely... because they're vibration enabled (which is also why the controller is heavier). You'll get vibration feedback right in the triggers, which is neat in shooters and racing games especially.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Is there a way to actually turn it off all the way short of unplugging it? I hold the button down on the controller and hit "turn console off" but I can still hear it humming slightly. When I turn it back on Sunset Overdrive is still in stand by mode.
Actually, there is. You need to go into Settings and turn off 'Instant on' mode. I'm not near my console but it's in there somewhere (required for EU countries that legally require an option to shut an energy-consuming device down completely), but that will disable a few things. Voice control 'Xbox On' will not work, and instant resume of games you were playing won't work. Console boot time will be longer as well. Also, this will disable automatic updating.

When instant-on is enabled, the console will download updates overnight so you don't have to spend time applying them when you turn on the TV. This addition was at the request of a TON of beta testing employees whose significant others were getting ready to throw their console out the window because it kept wanting to apply console updates when they wanted to watch TV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Agreed. In a year I still haven't warmed up to it and prefer the more simple PS4 UI. I just feel I'm always looking for stuff and the UI is always changing and moving things around on me. It's my main gripe so far with the unit.
Pin your frequently used things to your Home screen. That's what I did, made it much nicer to use.

Last edited by TorqueDog; 11-04-2014 at 12:26 PM.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 01:13 PM   #3802
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I don't want to sidetrack this thread anymore but as the Dog says dino7c has been trolling and it would be nice if we could be adults here. Don't like the console fine but don't troll as there's video game sites where kids do that all day where you can get your toll fix. Microsoft/Sony, Apple/Android, Ford/Chevy, etc. This #### gets old. I like my PS4 just as much as my XB1 and why can't we just have relevant discussions and not crap like Kinect looking like garbage in a home theatre setup because it's huge compared to Sony's and has a big cable. That's garbage.
Trolling! for saying I don't like how the Kinect looks or use any of the functions...get a grip man

Kinect isn't for everybody that is why they sell a model without it, unfortunately I got my Xbone before that

Trolling about a console I own

please, and seriously dude look at the title of the thread and decide if you want to participate.....Kinect looking like a brick with an extention cord is as relevant as anything else

Last edited by dino7c; 11-04-2014 at 01:17 PM.
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 01:27 PM   #3803
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhettzky View Post
Ha, don't pretend to be all high and mighty when all you do is post fanboy insults in this thread. Besides, it's the THUNDERDOME, what exactly do you expect to see everytime you come in here? LOL
somebody gets it
Old 11-04-2014, 01:31 PM   #3804
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

In related news, the Evolve Alpha is sick and looks incredible on my PC.

That is all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2014, 04:44 PM   #3805
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Cow Disease View Post
As for switching off the XB1 completely, simply depress the touch button on the front of the console for 5ish seconds and it initiates a full non-standby shutdown (the two states can be differentiated by the colour of the power bar's light- orange for fully shut down, white for stand by). Hard resets are good for solving any of the random little glitches that can pop up every now and again, also.

One of the things I prefer about XB1 is the option to wire the controller. It acts as a normal wireless unit when unplugged but receives a wired signal when you're charging it. It sounds silly but I became pretty competitive in Titanfall and was able to notice the slight difference in latency between the wired and wireless signals, so it's nice to have the ability to plug in and achieve that direct connection. The TV I have was also the one on the market at the time being rated as having the lowest input lag for games, so I've sort of gone in the direction of minimizing the time between button presses and on-screen response as much as possible.
Please upgrade your optical nerve to neuron synaptic transmission also! also to super human level to win this battle out right!!! only $10,000,000!!!

Last edited by Since1984; 11-04-2014 at 04:46 PM.
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 07:52 PM   #3806
Max Cow Disease
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Since1984 View Post
Please upgrade your optical nerve to neuron synaptic transmission also! also to super human level to win this battle out right!!! only $10,000,000!!!

Interesting stuff, but not sure what the end point is here. Input lag isn't much of a thing? Hell, the difference between game mode on most TV's and some of the other modes with post-processing is like night and day for me.

That gulf's far more negligible when talking about wired vs. wireless controllers (I think) but I've certainly doinked around with both enough to notice a bit more delay with the latter.
Old 11-04-2014, 07:56 PM   #3807
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Interesting stuff, but not sure what the end point is here. Input lag isn't much of a thing? Hell, the difference between game mode on most TV's and some of the other modes with post-processing is like night and day for me.

That gulf's far more negligible when talking about wired vs. wireless controllers (I think) but I've certainly doinked around with both enough to notice a bit more delay with the latter.
Just thinking if you don't get paid to play, you are taking your gaming too serious. My opinion that is all.

Also I chose Xbone for one reason....Halo Master chief collection
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 08:02 PM   #3808
Max Cow Disease
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'm not very serious, I just find overt input lag annoying as hell. It's like good music through crappy headphones.
Old 11-04-2014, 10:38 PM   #3809
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm not very serious, I just find overt input lag annoying as hell. It's like good music through crappy headphones.
The worst is trying to play a game like Rocksmith 2014 through an AVR or over HDMI.

My Xbox 360 is a non-HDMI console, but I use the optical cable for audio. Ubisoft recommends using the RCA outs and bypassing the AVR for video to get the lowest possible latency. I didn't since I'm not going through all that trouble just for a game... and in some instances, the game is almost unplayable because of the delay. I ended up buying the PC version because of it.

Long story short, input lag and AV delay is a killer when you've got a game that relies on accurate, timed input. This goes for games like Rocksmith, or fast paced FPSes.
Old 11-05-2014, 08:31 AM   #3810
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
The worst is trying to play a game like Rocksmith 2014 through an AVR or over HDMI.

My Xbox 360 is a non-HDMI console, but I use the optical cable for audio. Ubisoft recommends using the RCA outs and bypassing the AVR for video to get the lowest possible latency. I didn't since I'm not going through all that trouble just for a game... and in some instances, the game is almost unplayable because of the delay. I ended up buying the PC version because of it.

Long story short, input lag and AV delay is a killer when you've got a game that relies on accurate, timed input. This goes for games like Rocksmith, or fast paced FPSes.
I'm only now learning about this. People used to always complain about the lag in Rocksmith but I never noticed a bit of it. Once I learned the song I was able to play it without even looking at the screen. Turns out it's because my receiver is older than hell and only accepts optical inputs. Bonus... I guess?
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 09:07 AM   #3811
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Xbone is now $369 on Amazon.ca and EBgames. Could be even lower for Black Friday?
chemgear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 10:14 AM   #3812
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Boom!

Hundreds of New Features Delivered in Xbox One’s First Year

http://majornelson.com/2014/11/05/hu...inkId=10367866

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
I'm only now learning about this. People used to always complain about the lag in Rocksmith but I never noticed a bit of it. Once I learned the song I was able to play it without even looking at the screen. Turns out it's because my receiver is older than hell and only accepts optical inputs. Bonus... I guess?
Yeah, if you're not using HDMI in any fashion, the lag should be a lot less over optical.
Old 11-05-2014, 11:57 AM   #3813
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Smart list for Major Nelson to put out. Even without listing all of the little things, it makes Sony's software division look even more incompetent.
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 12:43 PM   #3814
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

And yet with all those fancy updates its still an inferior system.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 01:10 PM   #3815
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah the lack of updates on the PS4 firmware has been disappointing.

Although I would argue remote play and Share Play are both still better than anything Microsoft has to offer.

Pretty crazy month and a half for games coming up though (Exclusive in Brackets)

October 24th: Bayonetta 2 (Wii U)
October 28th: Sunset Overdrive (Xbox)
November 3rd: COD: AW
November 11th: Halo: Master Chief Collection (Xbox)
November 11th: AC: Unity
November 11th: Lego Batman 3- Beyond Gotham
November 11th: Sonic Boom (Wii U)
November 18th: Dragon's Age Inquisition
November 18th: Far Cry 4
November 18th: Little Big Planet 3 (PS4)
November 18th: GTAV: Remastered
November 18th: WWE 2K15
November 21st: Super Smash Bros Wii U (Wii U)
December 2nd: The Crew
December 4th: Captain Toad Treasure Tracker (Wii U)

Surprisingly soft holiday lineup from Sony. Only real exclusive is LBP 3 and even that is still available on PS3 too.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 11-05-2014 at 01:17 PM.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 01:13 PM   #3816
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's a last gen exclusive but Assassin's Creed: Rogue is also coming out on the 11th. I have both it and Unity pre-ordered.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 01:24 PM   #3817
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

The only things on that list I'm getting is Smash Bros Wii U and Captain Toad. Also, Kingdom Hearts 2.5 HD Remix is on December 2nd, which I'm sure will interest some of the people here.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 01:43 PM   #3818
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Pokemon 3DS games coming in Nov too I think.
Old 11-05-2014, 03:16 PM   #3819
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
The only things on that list I'm getting is Smash Bros Wii U and Captain Toad. Also, Kingdom Hearts 2.5 HD Remix is on December 2nd, which I'm sure will interest some of the people here.
Collector's Edition just announced and available here only apparently:

https://khce.na.square-enix.com/

chemgear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 03:29 PM   #3820
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Zelda Majora's Mask remake just announced for the 3DS today.

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2014/11/0...o-nintendo-3ds
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post: