Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-20-2018, 03:25 PM   #921
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Mine arrived last night. I will be picking it up tonight. Have $20 in customs fees which is highly annoying.
Yay for there!
Boo for customs fees!
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 06:11 PM   #922
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Prime video is on the Apple TV.
Old 03-20-2018, 07:59 PM   #923
calgarygringo
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Signals Over air are hd now. If you have a newer tv local channels will come in higher res than most cable. Just limited channels around here.

For Netflix you will need another device if your tv is not smart. You can do on the cheap with a stick or other options too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane_c View Post
I've been thinking for a while now that I may cut the cord and get rid of the cable bill. I have a few questions though that I was hoping people might be able to help me with...

1) I heard a while ago about stations switching over to digital and that you can no longer pick the signal up with rabbit ears. Did this ever happen? Is there a certain box I need to make it work or do the newer OTA antennas pick them up fine? From what I figure I could get 3 stations in my area (CBC, CTV and Global) which is good enough for me.

2) I signed up for the free month of Netflix to try it out but haven't used it yet because I don't feel like sitting at the computer. How do I get it to broadcast on my non-smart TV? I don't have a laptop to connect to the TV (that would be the easiest way) but the house has wifi.
calgarygringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 08:33 PM   #924
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemenz View Post
Prime video is on the Apple TV.
Well then, that does indeed make it a valid issue!
Old 03-21-2018, 09:45 AM   #925
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Prime is on loads of things. Most game consoles, smart tv's, pc's, Android, iOS...not just Amazon stuff.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...deId=201422820
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 09:53 AM   #926
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Has the content on Prime improved enough to make it worth it? I don't buy enough stuff from Amazon otherwise to justify the membership.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 09:54 AM   #927
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not really. The only thing I watch are Grand Tour and Man in the High Castle. But I make good use of Prime for the shipping so I think of it as a bonus.
Old 03-21-2018, 10:02 AM   #928
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Prime is on loads of things. Most game consoles, smart tv's, pc's, Android, iOS...not just Amazon stuff.

Yeah, my bad. I was specifically thinking of Android streaming boxes or Android TV. I was not aware it works natively with Shield (need to sideload in Canada). Regardless, should obviously correct that post.
Old 03-21-2018, 10:35 AM   #929
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Not really. The only thing I watch are Grand Tour and Man in the High Castle. But I make good use of Prime for the shipping so I think of it as a bonus.
What!? That is what was on there when it was first introduced to Canada. Isn't the Grand Tour on Netflix? Or is that just really old episodes?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 11:02 AM   #930
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
What!? That is what was on there when it was first introduced to Canada. Isn't the Grand Tour on Netflix? Or is that just really old episodes?
Grand Tour is on Prime(always was). Top Gear is on Netflix and Prime(though I don't think the newest episodes). Sorry, Looks like Top Gear is only on US Prime.

But ya, I haven't really seen much else worth watching.

Last edited by Fuzz; 03-21-2018 at 11:05 AM.
Old 03-21-2018, 05:03 PM   #931
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Grand Tour is on Prime(always was). Top Gear is on Netflix and Prime(though I don't think the newest episodes). Sorry, Looks like Top Gear is only on US Prime.

But ya, I haven't really seen much else worth watching.
I thought season 1 of Sneaky Pete was fantastic.
Haven't got to season 2 yet
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2018, 06:08 PM   #932
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Amazon has a few good original shows. I really liked Red Oaks. When Transparent is good, it's one of the best shows of recent years (I'm not a fan of the BS drama the kids get involved with -- it would be much better if it was more Trans and less Parent). The Tick reboot takes a couple episodes to find itself, but it turns out pretty good. Fleabag and Catastrophe are British imports that I liked.

They don't have anywhere near the volume of content that Netflix has, but when you factor in things like Prime shipping and the fact that it's much cheaper than Netflix, I think it's a good deal.
Old 03-21-2018, 06:16 PM   #933
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Amazon is working pretty hard at catching up on original shows.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadline
Amazon has set up three high-profile drama series for development: Ringworld, based on Larry Niven’s classic science fiction book; Lazarus, based on the comic book by Greg Rucka (Jessica Jones); and Snow Crash, based on Neal Stephenson’s cult novel.

Amazon recently gave straight-to-series orders to a comedy starring Saturday Night Live alumni Fred Armisen and Maya Rudolph and Tong Wars, a drama from filmmaker Wong Kar Wai and Homicide creator Paul Attanasio. Additionally, Amazon picked up Upload, a single-camera comedy pilot from The Office creator Greg Daniels, and Making Friends, a multi-camera one from How I Met Your Mother creators Carter Bays and Craig Thomas, Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg’s Point Grey and Sony TV.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 06:57 PM   #934
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Prime video is also native on my Vizio M series TV which is nice.
Old 03-21-2018, 08:18 PM   #935
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks View Post
Prime video is also native on my Vizio M series TV which is nice.
I think that's exactly it. We want everything natively supported/integrated so there is no need for several devices.
I think the Stream+ has the potential to be this device (for Android) but to this point still unrealized.
Old 03-21-2018, 09:26 PM   #936
ericschand
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

Hmph! I have three streaming devices. A Chromecast, a HTPC running Kodi, and now a Roku (built into the TV). None are supported by Amazon Prime. The Roku Amazon app is for Americans only, not available in Canada. I really don't want another device, like Fire TV, when I already have 3 capable devices.

I want to watch Amazon content but they are making it extremely difficult. If it wasn't for the shipping, Amazon Prime would be long gone.

ers
ericschand is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ericschand For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2018, 07:40 AM   #937
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'm not sure it's been mentioned in this thread yet either, but Xbox One now supports and loads Kodi through the Microsoft store. I'm sure some of you already have one, so this was a nice find as it replaced my rp3 based osmc kit which was too underpowered to play anything except h264 streams.

I'm currently running iptv, and some others in this setup, and it will decode everything (h265, hevc, etc) flawlessly. And it accepts the standard mini keyboard remote
Old 03-24-2018, 09:52 PM   #938
Raymond83
Draft Pick

Actually, the main reason I see for keeping cable TV is when you want to watch sports in HD and real time, like NHL hockey games and Boxing matches, where it's clearly not as interesting when you know who won.

When we consider the monthly costs for a cable package, it usually makes sense to buy a cheap laptop computer with HDMI output connected to your HD TV. Remember it's not used to play games but mostly go on the web.

You can then access video streaming websites, download movies and series, exchange video files with peers, and also listen to music with Bandcamp, SoundCloud, etc.

Of course, make sure that the content you choose to watch doesn't violate any copyright. Some streaming websites are totally legit and pay the content producers from part of the advertising income, while others could be qualified as shady.

Don't expect to see all the latest movies while they're still in theaters, but there might be plenty of classics to keep your evenings busy.

Here's good advice on finding good streaming websites :

https://www.thebalance.com/how-to-te...-legal-1357428

Or you can just search google for the most reputable ones. I'm pretty sure that shady streaming websites aren't trying to be on first page of Google!
Raymond83 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Raymond83 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2018, 04:25 PM   #939
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericschand View Post
Hmph! I have three streaming devices. A Chromecast, a HTPC running Kodi, and now a Roku (built into the TV). None are supported by Amazon Prime. The Roku Amazon app is for Americans only, not available in Canada. I really don't want another device, like Fire TV, when I already have 3 capable devices.

I want to watch Amazon content but they are making it extremely difficult. If it wasn't for the shipping, Amazon Prime would be long gone.

ers
Just play Amazon videos in Chrome on your computer and cast the tab to your Chromecast.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 06:36 PM   #940
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

New update for Stream+

Quote:
Software version 7.0-1.3.1 was released on Thursday April 19th and provides bug fixes and enhancements as listed below.
Bug Fix: Resolves issue of recordings not playing back after 48 hours.
Bug Fix: Resolves issue of not being able to schedule certain programming as a series recording.
Bug Fix: Resolves issue of Dolby Digital 5.1 audio not passing to receiver
Bug Fix: Resolves issue of video jitter when recording two programs simultaneously
Bug Fix: Resolves issue of intermittent failed recordings
Feature Enhancement: “Beta” USB Hard Drive Support
New Live Channels Software version: 1.17.0 (Included in system update 7.0-1.3.1)
Live Channels Feature Enhancement: 14 days of guide data included in voice search, allows users to search for and schedule OTA programming up to 14 days out. (Only two days of guide info will still display in the on-screen guide.)
Live Channels Feature Enhancement: DVR screen now has option to display entire list of scheduled and recorded programs.