Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2019, 06:30 AM   #1221
Caboose
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
Come on now, there’s no need to get aggressive over a commentary. It’s just electroluminescent film but hypothetically, if posts on a public forum weren’t attention seeking you wouldn’t resort to ineluctable patronizing responses.

I’ll get right on preparing my A+ chaise longue HPD roster scale and we’ll see if I find a receptive audience for my metrics on complimentary pop.

It appears I’ve found a portal to some rent free space.

Can we return to discussing brain injuries?
This guy does big words. Very neat.

Sent from my TA-1025 using Tapatalk
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Caboose For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2019, 06:57 AM   #1222
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Man, leafs did awesome yesterday all things considered.

Leafs, panthers, rangers, stars, devils are the clear offseason winners thus far.

Flames, jets look to be losers at this point. Disappointing end to last year, didn't get better.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 07:16 AM   #1223
Nelson
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think the best way for the Flames to improve is for James Neal, Matthew Tkachuk, and Sean Monahan to improve their skating. I love the latter two players, but they looked two slow in the playoffs. Neal looked slow all season. Hopefully, he really was just out of shape last season and he can be in great shape this coming season.
Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 07:27 AM   #1224
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Think Treliving runs with the same team next season minus some movement to clear cap space. If the core cannot get it done next season well summer 2020 is going to be probably less boring.
kukkudo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kukkudo For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2019, 07:47 AM   #1225
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post

Leafs, panthers, rangers, stars, devils are the clear offseason winners thus far.

Flames, jets look to be losers at this point. Disappointing end to last year, didn't get better.
Not sure why the Leafs are getting so much love?

Is their blueline any better? Gardiner and Zaitsev out with Barrie and Ceci in. Maybe a slight upgrade because they increased their right shot contingent by 1. Spezza is done imo so irrelevant 4th line signing. Kerfoot is a pretty big downgrade on Kadri.

Also out are Brown and Marleau.

Imo their team is worse and they still don’t have Marner signed. I think they are in the loser category.

Last edited by Vinny01; 07-02-2019 at 08:10 AM.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 07:58 AM   #1226
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post

I wouldn't say the Leafs did awesome as they only got Barrie for a season and Marner is still unsigned. Winning July 1st is usually inversely proportional to overall success the following season so as far as I'm concerned the Flames were probably winners by not signing anyone of significance beyond Talbot. Sounds like the Flames may have had a big trade in the works but Kadri didn't want to play in Calgary so Treliving being the hard working GM he is will likely be exploring other options over the coming weeks.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 08:26 AM   #1227
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

now that it's July 2, I think there's a possibility of a decent bargain on Ferland
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 08:40 AM   #1228
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

Why do people have a hard-on for Ferland?
The guy doesn't play with the edge he used to have anymore, he cant afford to due to injury concerns.

His time in Carolina was riddled with 2 games on 3-4 off due to injury.

Ferland is 1 concussion away from potentially hanging them up.

Time to move on.
Royle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Royle9 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2019, 08:56 AM   #1229
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royle9 View Post
The guy doesn't play with the edge he used to have anymore, he cant afford to due to injury concerns.

His time in Carolina was riddled with 2 games on 3-4 off due to injury
None of this is accurate.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2019, 08:58 AM   #1230
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Time to move on.
He played 71 games. That must have happened a couple times, but it's hardly the entire year.

Ferland is a known quantity that fits within the culture of the Flames. Treliving was even reticent to include him in the deal last year, speaking to how much he values the player and the person. If he can be had for less than $3.5 million it's a great fit for a team that lacks size, toughness, goal scoring (read as finishing a play), effort and tenacity.

I myself have been critical of his long stretches of being just okay, but I'd take that along with some of his hot streaks and the other things listed above. I still think he's a 40 point winger with size and goal scoring ability. Not many of those out there on the market still.

I would move on if there wasn't a clear fit, but there is, so it will be on the radar until Ferland is off the board. Better get used to discussing it for a bit.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 09:03 AM   #1231
Incogneto
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Personally, i think doing nothing on July 1st makes you a winner. I am happy that Tre had his phone turned off yesterday.
Incogneto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 09:04 AM   #1232
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Time to move on.
It's a bit of a mystery to me seeing how he's one of the more maddeningly inconsistent players in the league. I would be very disappointed if the Flames paid the UFA price to bring him back. Fortunately I feel that ship has sailed as I don't think the team has any interest in bringing him back.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2019, 09:09 AM   #1233
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Not sure why the Leafs are getting so much love?

Is their blueline any better? Gardiner and Zaitsev out with Barrie and Ceci in. Maybe a slight upgrade because they increased their right shot contingent by 1. Spezza is done imo so irrelevant 4th line signing. Kerfoot is a pretty big downgrade on Kadri.

Also out are Brown and Marleau.

Imo their team is worse and they still don’t have Marner signed. I think they are in the loser category.
I think they actually upgraded overall, but they are still miles away from getting out of the cap hell they were in when it all started.

11M in space

Still have to sign Marner who is in no way, shape, or form coming in at less than 9 per....unless he caves and signs a bridge.

Then they have to sign both Kerfoot and Ceci, both of whom have Arb rights.

How those 2 dont combine for at least 6, and likely more,.....and there has to be another bigger contract shipped out.

Dubas has much work to do still.
Old 07-02-2019, 09:16 AM   #1234
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
I think they actually upgraded overall, but they are still miles away from getting out of the cap hell they were in when it all started.

11M in space

Still have to sign Marner who is in no way, shape, or form coming in at less than 9 per....unless he caves and signs a bridge.

Then they have to sign both Kerfoot and Ceci, both of whom have Arb rights.

How those 2 dont combine for at least 6, and likely more,.....and there has to be another bigger contract shipped out.

Dubas has much work to do still.

I thought Ceci already agreed to a 1 year 4.5M deal?

They have made a lot of moves I am not convinced they are the right moves however. We will see next year
Old 07-02-2019, 09:19 AM   #1235
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Time to move on.
I think it is due to a little hope he wants to come back on a team friendly deal. If he signs 4x4.5M I won’t be happy but I wonder about 2 years at $3M?

His market might not have been where he hoped the talk is the cap could go up in a couple years with the new US TV deal so maybe plan B for Ferland is a short term deal that would lead to his big payday in a couple years when he is still under 30 years old? If he is looking to do that a return to where he lives and is comfortable could make sense for both sides?
Old 07-02-2019, 09:22 AM   #1236
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
I thought Ceci already agreed to a 1 year 4.5M deal?

They have made a lot of moves I am not convinced they are the right moves however. We will see next year
His QO was 4.3, but I haven't read or heard he has signed anywhere. Even if true, then that leaves 6.5 to sign Marner and Kerfoot.

There is a big problem still.
Old 07-02-2019, 09:31 AM   #1237
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I wouldn't say the Leafs did awesome as they only got Barrie for a season and Marner is still unsigned. Winning July 1st is usually inversely proportional to overall success the following season so as far as I'm concerned the Flames were probably winners by not signing anyone of significance beyond Talbot. Sounds like the Flames may have had a big trade in the works but Kadri didn't want to play in Calgary so Treliving being the hard working GM he is will likely be exploring other options over the coming weeks.
I think the big thing for me is I'm not sure how big of a downgrade going from Kadri to Kerfoot is at this stage of their careers. Kerfoot is going to be 25 at the start of the next season and just entering his prime, Kadri will be 29 and his production may be starting to regress.

At even strength not much separates their production over the last two seasons.

Kadri:
Goals - 32
First Assists - 19
Second Assists - 16
Total Points - 67
1.86 Points / 60 Minutes

Kerfoot:
Goals - 25
First Assists - 17
Second Assists - 10
Total Points - 52
1.68 Points / 60 Minutes

Plus on top of that you also get a 55+ point top pairing d-man as part of the package, seems like a pretty good trade for the Leafs for me. I'm not quite sure why the add-on to Barrie for Kadri (which should have been a pretty equal deal) was Kerfoot who is a 40 point player on his own accord.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 07-02-2019 at 09:49 AM.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 09:33 AM   #1238
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Free agent courting period news and rumors

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
His QO was 4.3, but I haven't read or heard he has signed anywhere. Even if true, then that leaves 6.5 to sign Marner and Kerfoot.

There is a big problem still.

They also have the Horton contract counting against them right now, which while it technically counts against the cap it shouldn’t be a problem after the season starts.
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 09:37 AM   #1239
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Time to move on.
-He can play anywhere in the lineup
-he has chemistry with our top two forwards
-when I say bargain, I'm thinking under $4m
-if we're moving Frolik, he needs to be replaced and I'm not sure the replacement is internal
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 09:37 AM   #1240
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

It is written! Bring him back! 3x3.5