Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-07-2019, 02:54 PM   #1461
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

What do you have for rear speakers? Would probably need to run speaker cable if you have a receiver. A sound bar with rear speakers generally come with their own cables, those wouldn't work.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 03:07 PM   #1462
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can't run speaker cable, there's no conduit and the attic isn't clear enough for me to risk going up there. So if I can use the component cable that'd be preferable
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 03:46 PM   #1463
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
I can't run speaker cable, there's no conduit and the attic isn't clear enough for me to risk going up there. So if I can use the component cable that'd be preferable
Component cable is an old analog standard for video though.
accord1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 04:15 PM   #1464
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Would Vizio 5.1 sound bars work? The sound bar connects to the TV, but the sub is wireless. The back speakers are wired to the sub. No cables from sound bar to back speakers and sub, but cables from sub to back speakers.

Or are you trying to figure out a set up with the existing cable infrastructure?
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 04:42 PM   #1465
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
Would Vizio 5.1 sound bars work? The sound bar connects to the TV, but the sub is wireless. The back speakers are wired to the sub. No cables from sound bar to back speakers and sub, but cables from sub to back speakers.

Or are you trying to figure out a set up with the existing cable infrastructure?
I'll probably sell my old logitech speaker/sub and go the vizio route. The only option for physical wiring are those component cables
Old 06-07-2019, 04:47 PM   #1466
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I use this one:

https://www.vizio.com/en-ca/audio/so.../sb4551d5.html

It's fantastic and solved the wiring problem with no issue. Just have the sub next to my sectional, run the wires from the sub to the rear speakers and put them on the back of the couch. If your couch has a bit of clearance you can also put the sub underneath laying flat - it doesn't quite fit in my setup.

Either way the 5.1 soundbar with the wireless sub and 2 rears is the easiest way to get decent surround.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 04:55 PM   #1467
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'll probably sell my old logitech speaker/sub and go the vizio route. The only option for physical wiring are those component cables
Dumb question, did you try looking into adapters? ie: Component to HDMI.

https://www.amazon.ca/JBingGG-Compon...gateway&sr=8-4

Assuming the transfer rate is still acceptable for sound and there's no significant delay, maybe it could work?

EDIT:

https://www.amazon.com/Speaker-Adapt.../dp/B013Z75RD4

Or something like RCA/speaker wire?

Wireless sub set up is probably easier though.

Last edited by DoubleF; 06-07-2019 at 05:00 PM.
Old 06-07-2019, 05:02 PM   #1468
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://www.amazon.ca/Poyiccot-Speak...gateway&sr=8-4

what about this ? this looks like something I can use?
Old 06-07-2019, 07:53 PM   #1469
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
https://www.amazon.ca/Poyiccot-Speak...gateway&sr=8-4

what about this ? this looks like something I can use?
I've never used this type of stuff before, so I don't know if it works or not. It might not be the worst idea to buy the adapters to try it out. Worst case scenario, it doesn't work or performance is inadequate, return to Amazon requesting for a full refund saying that it doesn't work, then go plan B. If it works, then great.
Old 06-26-2019, 12:48 PM   #1470
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not sure if this is the thread for this, but trying to decide on these two options from Visions. One is a soundbar from 2018 that seems to have pretty good reviews and the other is a speaker system from 2013 that also has good reviews. From what I can tell, most sites seem to indicate the better choice is to go with the speaker system and then add a subwoofer at some point if I so desire but I figured I'd check with hivemind here first.

Keep in mind that I live in a pretty small bachelor apartment and have no intention of moving anytime soon and that my TV is also from 2013 and I don't plan on upgrading it for at least another 5 years.

https://www.visions.ca/catalogue/cat...377&sku=YAS207

https://www.visions.ca/product-detai...d=164&sku=V300
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 01:43 PM   #1471
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
From what I can tell, most sites seem to indicate the better choice is to go with the speaker system and then add a subwoofer at some point if I so desire but I figured I'd check with hivemind here first.
Past precedence is that I'll get flamed for this, but I'll go with a 2.0 or 2.1 setup all day long over a sound bar.

Those KEF's look quite interesting actually for an option without an amp/receiver.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2019, 04:11 PM   #1472
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownhillGoat View Post
Past precedence is that I'll get flamed for this, but I'll go with a 2.0 or 2.1 setup all day long over a sound bar.
Meh....it's all personal preference. That's nothing to get flamed over

I've been quite happy with the 5.1 Vizio sound bar but by no means is it a replacement for true speakers. I still fully intend to pursue that.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 04:56 PM   #1473
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I ended up changing my mind and going with a Samsung 3.1 soundbar + subwoofer + 2 rear speakers. Gets me "5.1" sound and is only about $50 more than 2.1 KES system I posted.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 09:39 AM   #1474
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

What's the cheapest way i can use my in ceiling speakers? I only have 2. In my upstairs room I have the speaker wire but the previous owners either took or never bought a control system. Is it possible to spend very little and have something with WiFi/phone app control?
Old 08-08-2019, 03:03 PM   #1475
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Is it possible to spend very little and have something with WiFi/phone app control?
Sort of, depends what you mean by 'very little'.

Get yourself a cheap 2-channel stereo amp, and plug an Amazon Echo Dot or Google Home into it using a 3.5mm to Stereo-RCA adapter (or pair it via Bluetooth for that particular receiver).

Only reason I'm suggesting using a smart-home device instead of a native Bluetooth connection is I don't know what your distance / interference between the receiver and the actual room where the speakers live is like.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2019, 05:33 PM   #1476
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
Sort of, depends what you mean by 'very little'.

Get yourself a cheap 2-channel stereo amp, and plug an Amazon Echo Dot or Google Home into it using a 3.5mm to Stereo-RCA adapter (or pair it via Bluetooth for that particular receiver).

Only reason I'm suggesting using a smart-home device instead of a native Bluetooth connection is I don't know what your distance / interference between the receiver and the actual room where the speakers live is like.
Had to login just to thank this post, I actually went with this and it works exactly for what I need it for. The wife is thrilled.

Last edited by White Out 403; 08-08-2019 at 05:36 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to White Out 403 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2019, 09:57 PM   #1477
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Help me identify these cables. Obviously these are 2 HDMI's... component, but then there's another couple. Speaker cables maybe?

https://imgur.com/adQbFCr

edit: fixed. It seems I can't find a image host to save my life that lets me just copy and paste the direct picture
Those are RGB video cables(Red/Green/Blue). Are the other two red and white? those are your left and right audio cables. I'm guessing.

Last edited by monkeyman; 08-10-2019 at 09:58 PM. Reason: messed up my colours.
monkeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 10:43 AM   #1478
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Had to login just to thank this post, I actually went with this and it works exactly for what I need it for. The wife is thrilled.
Glad to hear!

I actually have a very similar set-up at our house; the whole thing was wired for sound with a stereo receiver living in the basement.

Unfortunately, it was also outfitted with these:
Spoiler!

Yes, those are 30-pin in-wall iPod docks and they are effectively useless today. I'm trying to find a way to repurpose them, but no dice.

I went the same route as I mentioned to you using an Amazon Echo Dot and a 3.5mm aux to stereo RCA, since my 2-channel isn't Bluetooth capable. Ended up working really nicely.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 03:15 PM   #1479
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

thoughts on wall mounts? I'm mounting a 55" tv in our master bedroom directly across from our bed. It will be perfectly centered to the bed, and, around 6 feet from the foot of the bed to the wall (or so, I haven't measured).

So the only question I have left to consider is swivel vs tilt only. I don't see a need to have the tv come out on an arm except for when me or the wife (or both.. oo sexy!) are having a tub. It seems like a weird thing to get an arm to swivel with, due to the limited usage it'd get. Where as the tilt only would be a nice low profile. What are peoples experiences mounting in their bedroom, what would you do again or differently?

Specific amazon mount recommendation would be really appreciated too.
Old 08-20-2019, 03:19 PM   #1480
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

I’m looking to mount my TV too, except in the living room. The thing that scares me is the wall has metal studs so I’m not sure if it’s even a good idea. I think using toggle bolts help.

Is there an alternative that can lift my TV up about 15 inches? I need to make room for my centre channel.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote