Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-22-2019, 02:44 PM   #1501
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone rocking Atmos ready speakers? They worth investing in? I like the idea and just bought my first two blurays that have an Atmos soundtrack but not sure if it really adds enough to justify spending money on speakers.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 03:36 PM   #1502
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I guess if you pulled down a ceiling speaker to look at the colors of wires involved, it'll give a hint?
Probably, but that terrifies me. I have no idea how they're in there or if I could get it back in after removing it.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 03:37 PM   #1503
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
Anyone rocking Atmos ready speakers? They worth investing in? I like the idea and just bought my first two blurays that have an Atmos soundtrack but not sure if it really adds enough to justify spending money on speakers.
Atmos is pretty amazing. I have mine above the fronts but I’d like to ceiling mount them.

I don’t think you need to spend a lot to get the effect. Get something that matches well with your rear surrounds.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2019, 03:44 PM   #1504
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya, I guess there are modules you can put on top of your current speakers. I assumed your fronts had to have the up firing speaker built in. That's an interesting idea and may pursue that.
Old 08-22-2019, 06:29 PM   #1505
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
We shall see... I have all the stuff coming today so it may be a weekend project. Once the speakers are plugeed into the amps, everything else I understand.

One of my chief concerns is that I cannot figure the wires out for the life of me. They don't look like the speaker wires I'm used to... In the one bundle, there are five skinny red wires, three skinny blue wires, and three skinny beige wires. What's that about?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
I'd venture to guess that there is a L/R pairing for each speaker/speaker set, but the numbers for each color set of wires doesn't quite make sense... Unless you have 3 L/R R/B pairs... but why 5 beige and why odd and not even amount of beige?

I guess if you pulled down a ceiling speaker to look at the colors of wires involved, it'll give a hint?
yeah, that's weird. maybe try by connecting one wire and cycling through the others until the speaker makes noise?
Old 08-22-2019, 07:35 PM   #1506
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nah, I'm bringing in an expert for that part.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 09-03-2019, 10:23 AM   #1507
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Any updates on your set-up, Corsi?
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 01:47 PM   #1508
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

No, all the components arrived from amazon and are still sitting in their boxes in my basement. Haven't gotten around to it. Need to follow up.
Old 09-10-2019, 04:16 PM   #1509
kcin
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Can someone recommend someone to install a wall mount and provide some advice on home theater options? Home is wired for what looks to be a decent setup on the main floor with speakers in the walls/ceiling but I'm clueless about what to get or how to wire it.

Thanks in advance
kcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 09:43 PM   #1510
cupofjoe
Scoring Winger

Exp:

PM sent.
cupofjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 09:19 AM   #1511
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Speaking of Atmos, I'm trying to troubleshoot a weird problem. I have an older Pioneer Elite receiver that I picked up second hand and a 5.1 speaker arrangement. Everything has been working just fine for years, kids use it daily for games etc.

Settled in to watch a new Blu-Ray on the weekend (Rocketman) and the receiver went automatically in Dolby Atmos mode. As the movie played, the audio mix was awful. Channels were dropping out, dialog disappeared entirely, channels would come back. Really strange stuff. I tried another Blu-Ray (Endgame) and audio seemed fine, as it did with XBox, cable box, and other sources. Ran down all my wiring and everything seems fine.

I have two theories, one is that the aging receiver isn't playing nice with the latest and greatest codecs and the other is I have bad disc. Anyone have any insights?
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 10:07 AM   #1512
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

That is odd seeing as both are recent titles and pretty sure Endgame has an Atmos sound track.

Is you receiver connected to the net? Maybe it just needs an update? Failing that, ya, I'd try another disc although that seems like a long shot.
The Following User Says Thank You to GoinAllTheWay For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2019, 01:01 PM   #1513
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodFan View Post
Speaking of Atmos, I'm trying to troubleshoot a weird problem. I have an older Pioneer Elite receiver that I picked up second hand and a 5.1 speaker arrangement. Everything has been working just fine for years, kids use it daily for games etc.

Settled in to watch a new Blu-Ray on the weekend (Rocketman) and the receiver went automatically in Dolby Atmos mode. As the movie played, the audio mix was awful. Channels were dropping out, dialog disappeared entirely, channels would come back. Really strange stuff. I tried another Blu-Ray (Endgame) and audio seemed fine, as it did with XBox, cable box, and other sources. Ran down all my wiring and everything seems fine.

I have two theories, one is that the aging receiver isn't playing nice with the latest and greatest codecs and the other is I have bad disc. Anyone have any insights?
Do you have a different blu ray player you could test it on or a codec update you could do?

Is the movie playing fine if not on Atmos mode? (ie: I wonder if somehow the output thinks there's more than a 5.1 set up and sending information to speakers that aren't there? (ie: thinks there's a 7.1 or more setup?)
Old 09-12-2019, 04:21 PM   #1514
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
Do you have a different blu ray player you could test it on or a codec update you could do?

Is the movie playing fine if not on Atmos mode? (ie: I wonder if somehow the output thinks there's more than a 5.1 set up and sending information to speakers that aren't there? (ie: thinks there's a 7.1 or more setup?)
Some good ideas, I will try to play it on the XBox and see if that makes a difference. It was watchable if I put it in stereo mode, but that kinda takes away from the experience. My receiver and blu ray player are pretty old (2007 for the receiver), but I will see if I can get any updates for them.

If nothing else, this has me kind of looking around at a new receiver. There is a ton of new tech I am jealous of. (Like more than 2 HDMI inputs...)
Old 09-12-2019, 08:06 PM   #1515
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Some good ideas, I will try to play it on the XBox and see if that makes a difference. It was watchable if I put it in stereo mode, but that kinda takes away from the experience. My receiver and blu ray player are pretty old (2007 for the receiver), but I will see if I can get any updates for them.

If nothing else, this has me kind of looking around at a new receiver. There is a ton of new tech I am jealous of. (Like more than 2 HDMI inputs...)
long shot, but try unplugging the system and plugging it back in.
I had a weird issue with my system and for some reason that fixed it.
Old 09-12-2019, 10:38 PM   #1516
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I feel like, even though your receiver is a decade old, it should still be able to output solid sound no problems. I'm thinking that it's either a receiver settings issue or more likely the players fault and it's somehow outputting information incorrectly to speakers that do not exist.

Another option to look into is to reset all the settings to default. I had similar issues to you with my PS4 and Vizio 5.1 sound bar set up. Resetting the settings to default on the Vizio got rid of all those issues and I wonder if the same could be done on your receiver. I also realized that there were changes to the sound when I changed some of the output settings on the PS4 (prior to me resetting the Vizio defaults), so the player could also be contributing to the weird sounds.

Last edited by DoubleF; 09-12-2019 at 10:41 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2019, 10:07 AM   #1517
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Settled in to watch a new Blu-Ray on the weekend (Rocketman) and the receiver went automatically in Dolby Atmos mode.
I keep coming back to this part. If your receiver is a decade old (2009 ish), I don't think it can play Atmos. That didn't come out until 2014 for home receivers. Unless it's a software thing that you can update to?
Old 09-13-2019, 11:21 AM   #1518
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=172385
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2019, 11:48 AM   #1519
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hahah, did you upgrade? If so, I must know to what
Old 09-13-2019, 06:15 PM   #1520
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
I keep coming back to this part. If your receiver is a decade old (2009 ish), I don't think it can play Atmos. That didn't come out until 2014 for home receivers. Unless it's a software thing that you can update to?
Yeah, I am starting to think I was mistaken on that one. I fired it up again this afternoon and it went to Dolby TrueHD mode. Still crap sound on certain scenes. And which scenes are bad is reproducible each time. Will have more time to poke at it this weekend.