Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2022, 05:12 PM   #4361
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
I actually have not not seen Braveheart . Just never got around to it....

Same with Heat. I've always wanted to watch it, but all these years later I still haven't found the time.
IMO one of those has aged a whole lot better than the other. I guess for obvious reasons.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2022, 05:55 PM   #4362
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

You owe it to yourself to watch Heat simply to see the greatest shootout ever put on film. It's the only movie I know of that police forces use as training material for their cadets, due to how realistic everything is
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2022, 07:14 AM   #4363
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I actually have not not seen Braveheart . Just never got around to it....

Same with Heat. I've always wanted to watch it, but all these years later I still haven't found the time.
You aren't the only one that hasn't seen Braveheart. I suppose I was a ahead of the curve because I had Mel Gibson fatigue at that time. There was no way I wasn't going to see Heat with that cast at that time.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 08:23 AM   #4364
FormerPresJamesTaylor
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

You need to watch Heat for the shootout and for Al Pacino being the most Pacino in film history

FormerPresJamesTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to FormerPresJamesTaylor For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2022, 10:00 AM   #4365
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
You owe it to yourself to watch Heat simply to see the greatest shootout ever put on film. It's the only movie I know of that police forces use as training material for their cadets, due to how realistic everything is
Ok, then this weekend is the weekend. 25 years too late, but will report back here!
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2022, 09:50 PM   #4366
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rob Roy was better than Braveheart
And by a good margin
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2022, 08:11 AM   #4367
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Rob Roy was better than Braveheart
And by a good margin
Ooof. Gotta disagree. I love Rob Roy. Great great movie. But better than Braveheart?

Maybe if we are talking historical accuracy. Yeah. But as a film ? Not a chance.

Personal preferences and opinions are good though. I just have a hard time thinking many would agree.
Old 02-25-2022, 08:12 AM   #4368
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Ok, then this weekend is the weekend. 25 years too late, but will report back here!
Yeah, also probably the best slow burn Rollercoaster movie ever made too. The ebbs and flows are perfect. Plus that cast banged it out of the ballpark. And Micheal Mann, well Heat was his masterpiece.
Old 02-25-2022, 11:01 AM   #4369
soreshins
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Ooof. Gotta disagree. I love Rob Roy. Great great movie. But better than Braveheart?

Maybe if we are talking historical accuracy. Yeah. But as a film ? Not a chance.

Personal preferences and opinions are good though. I just have a hard time thinking many would agree.
I recently watched The Outlaw King with Chris Pine. Also about Robert The Bruce. It was surprisingly good.
soreshins is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to soreshins For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2022, 01:28 PM   #4370
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

There a Robert the Bruce movie with the same guy who played him in Braveheart. It was super boring.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 11:03 AM   #4371
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by soreshins View Post
I recently watched The Outlaw King with Chris Pine. Also about Robert The Bruce. It was surprisingly good.
I watched a video on how historically accurate that one was, they were close. I think you can't really ever go total accuracy and get a good solid movie out of it but Outlaw King scored well.
Old 02-27-2022, 09:55 AM   #4372
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

The new Texas Chainsaw Massacre was not good. No character development and completely missed the point on what made the original great and effective horror to resonate with audiences for 50 years. This one I forgot about it 50 minutes after watching it. 3/10
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 12:25 PM   #4373
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Watched Old on an airplane yesterday. Heard the negative reviews so wasn't expecting much.

Well I was really hooked on the premise and setting at first. Then you slowly realize the film is not going to deliver and it doesn't. Some brutal acting and incredibly thinly written characters too.
Old 02-27-2022, 08:23 PM   #4374
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Titane is without a doubt the strangest movie I have ever seen. Didn't like it, didn't not like it, didn't know what to make of it. I really don't understand why it got nearly universal good reviews as it's really not that good and it's more of a movie that dares to go where no movie has gone before. That said if you liked Cronenberg's Crash, you will be entertained.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 06:45 AM   #4375
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Finally watched Knives Out.

A little bit disappointed, possibly from all the past hype and reviews. It was ok, but I didn't think it was all that great.

Can't believe they threw 100 million at Craig to do two more. good for him to get such a huge paycheque.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 08:57 AM   #4376
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
Finally watched Knives Out.

A little bit disappointed, possibly from all the past hype and reviews. It was ok, but I didn't think it was all that great.

Can't believe they threw 100 million at Craig to do two more. good for him to get such a huge paycheque.
That was an enjoyable movie that will undoubtedly be tarnished by creating a Knives Out universe. I hate when Hollywood does stuff like that.
Old 02-28-2022, 09:30 AM   #4377
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Can't say I'm a fan of the murder mystery genre, red herrings and implausible scenarios meant to culminate in the big surprise reveal at the end. So forced and cringey. I saw Knives Out in the theater and didn't like it at all.

Murder on the Orient Express was incredibly annoying is that regard but I brushed that off to being an almost 100 year old story, must have been groundbreaking and exciting back then.
Engine09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 11:31 AM   #4378
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

I loved Knives Out, and I’m eagerly looking forward to the sequels.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 12:04 PM   #4379
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Knives Out was great for what it was. A bit over the top with the preaching at points. They can do sequels well, or they can be idiots. The way to do it well is if the only recurring character is Blanc. The way to do it idiotically would be to have anyone else from the first movie appear in it at all. I love Ana de Armas, but the only way to do it is a completely new cast and entirely new mystery for each film.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2022, 12:08 PM   #4380
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

We watched 'No Exit' on Disney + and it was fairly entertaining if somewhat bad. It becomes increasingly absurd, implausible, and graphically violent as it goes along. It has the President David Palmer guy from 24 in it as a secondary character, hadn't seen him in anything for a while.

The descriptions and trailer kind of sell it as a "who's the bad guy from this group of strangers??" type movie but it ends up being a lot more straight forward than that, which was kind of disappointing.

Last edited by OutOfTheCube; 02-28-2022 at 12:13 PM.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote