Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-19-2019, 11:00 AM   #1941
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekwon View Post
WTH I didn't know this was a thing. I'v been searching for good flight combat games and this never came up. Time to pull out the old HOTAS

Edit: And it works with HTC Vive, maybe I can get some use out of that also. Now I see why i Never heard of it, $100 cdn for a plane, if its good maybe its worth it.

Most planes and modules will be on sale until January, good time to get into it.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 12-19-2019, 02:21 PM   #1942
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Most planes and modules will be on sale until January, good time to get into it.
Add all DLC to cart = $1617.53 lol pretty crazy
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Raekwon For This Useful Post:
Old 12-19-2019, 02:41 PM   #1943
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well you can safely skip the WW2 stuff, get IL-2 for that

So all good DCS dlc to cart - $1370. Good deal!
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 12-19-2019, 07:18 PM   #1944
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

You can pre-order Resident Evil 3 for $60 on Green Man Gaming by using the code "25RE3".
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 07:57 PM   #1945
LockedOut
Franchise Player

Exp:

Epic Games Store has some pretty sweet deals with it's $10 off coupon and holiday sale. I was able to get The Division 2 for $4.99 US. Ubisoft games sure drop in price pretty fast.
LockedOut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LockedOut For This Useful Post:
Old 12-26-2019, 11:39 PM   #1946
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Anyone played Octopath Traveller? Looks to be on sale on PC right now down to 50 Canadian.

I was a big fan of the JRPG's back in the day, more so the tactics games, but definitely loved me some Lufia/FF/SoM/CT. This looks to be a pretty legit upgraded visual super nintendo JRPG experience.
Old 12-27-2019, 05:20 AM   #1947
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
Anyone played Octopath Traveller? Looks to be on sale on PC right now down to 50 Canadian.

I was a big fan of the JRPG's back in the day, more so the tactics games, but definitely loved me some Lufia/FF/SoM/CT. This looks to be a pretty legit upgraded visual super nintendo JRPG experience.
Yeah I played it about 30 hours, didn’t finish it though. The battle system and visuals are really great, but the story and design are not. You go through each character’s chapter one by one, and even though the other party members are with you they don’t actually interact or participate in each other’s stories. And every chapter was exactly the same (get somewhere, find a quest, do a dungeon/boss, cut scene, done). There was also an egregious amount of level grinding in between, as there would be recommended levels for each chapter that you absolutely wouldn’t be at through natural progression (and you had to at least be within one or two levels MAX of the recommended or you’d get massacred), so often in between chapters I had to stop for 2 hours to grind trash mobs, which wore down my enjoyment of the battle system a lot too.

Also it’s just the character stories, which definitely vary in quality. There’s no overarching narrative that ends up tying everything together.

Lots of good ideas in that game, but the execution stumbles a lot.
OutOfTheCube is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2019, 10:43 AM   #1948
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Man, Age of Wonders: Planetfall is another awesome game from Paradox. Has many of the same issues that other Paradox games have (e.g. can turn into a bit of a slog towards the middle/end of the game, bit of a learning curve), but it's one of the better turn-based strategy games out there right now.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2019, 11:06 AM   #1949
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post

I really liked it, but the stories are disconnected and the gameplay doesn't change. There is an extended demo you can try that will tell you how the game goes.

It's basically character travels to new city, character does quests, character runs dungeon, character fights boss and repeat 32 times.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2019, 01:16 PM   #1950
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Hrmm.. well that is to bad. Perhaps I will wait until the price drops lower then. I definitely want to try it, and to support the genre as I would LOVE for them to make more games of this type. These were absolutely my favourite game growing up.. but ya the story was generally really good in these games, if sometimes predictable.

The fact they didn't mesh the stories together into an overall arch seems to be just lazy.. I have read a few reviews that pick out the same flaw as well.

Thanks for the input.
Old 12-27-2019, 01:44 PM   #1951
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekwon View Post
Add all DLC to cart = $1617.53 lol pretty crazy
Back to DCS again, but the F-14 is free all weekend if anyone wants to try one of the more complicated planes and see if it's their type of thing. I personally don't like it that much, but it's free, give it a try.
Old 12-27-2019, 02:17 PM   #1952
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Back to DCS again, but the F-14 is free all weekend if anyone wants to try one of the more complicated planes and see if it's their type of thing. I personally don't like it that much, but it's free, give it a try.
I gave DCS a quick look over and after having issues with my HOTAS and not really understanding I checked out a game called Project Wingman that was pretty fun and free to play in Alpha.

I gave in today and grabbed the cheapest Star Citizen package to see what its all about.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 02:45 PM   #1953
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know I'm behind the times here but received a Nintendo Switch for Christmas along with Breath of the Wild.

I've loved every version of Legend Of Zelda I've played so far and these appears to be no exception. Great game so far, having a blast just exploring the area you start out in.

Now what others do you suggest for this system? Something two player that I can play with my fiance whom isn't a huge gamer but loved Mario Kart and Super Mario brothers back in the day.

I think Mario Party is a no brainer?
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 07:33 PM   #1954
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Super Mario Odyssey is outstanding, and a 2nd player can play as Mario's hat.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2019, 05:13 PM   #1955
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I haven't really played it, but Overcooked is frequently cited as a good two player game. And, of course, all of Mario's incarnations, including Party.
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2020, 07:06 PM   #1956
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 08:59 AM   #1957
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I played through all of Super Lucky's Tale off Xbox Game Pass. It was fine... a serviceable 3D platformer. Pretty easy to get 100% in, though the character controls and perspective got a little annoying towards the end when it started to ask for more precision. Textbook 6 or 7/10 game.

Also picked up Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair with a Xbox card I got for Christmas, and it is great! I was really disappointed by the original Yooka-Laylee but this is an entirely different and much better product. Very similar feel to two newest Donkey Kong Country games, has some really clever design elements ad the overworld is actually fun to explore. Plus the soundtrack is excellent - no surprise as it's composed by David Wise and Grant Kirkhope, really captures those old school DKC vibes. Recommended to any platformer fans!
OutOfTheCube is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 02:39 PM   #1958
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Super Lucky's Tale is pretty much as you describe. It's alright. Not outstanding, not horrible, reasonably short and pretty easy. Kinda fun.

A Hat in Time though... I just don't get the appeal on that one. It's just not very fun.
Old 01-05-2020, 12:00 AM   #1959
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
A Hat in Time though... I just don't get the appeal on that one. It's just not very fun.
I think you've gotta still have a lot of love for collectathons and the style of platforming they bring. A Hat in Time has lots of charm, though, and I can see why people love it.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 09:46 AM   #1960
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

It has charm, yes. But the platforming is tedious. I'll give it another chance eventually though.