Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-18-2008, 11:01 AM   #1
Flame On
Franchise Player

Exp:
Flames News thread 18th Dec. Including Backlund possibly cut from his league team.

Backlund out in Sweden?!! Sun
Quote:
A story out of Sweden -- at least if you read a translation by Google -- says Flames top prospect Mikael Backlund has been threatened with being kicked off his men's league team for poor play.
Same story in the National Post I think via the Herald.
Quote:
"There's not only one place in the universe where he can play hockey," Sutter said Wednesday after the Flames defeated the Minnesota Wild 3-2 in overtime.
"As far as I'm concerned, the most important team for him is in world junior. He was a premier player in that tournament."
Pardy story from The Telegram:
Quote:
As a Newfoundlander in Calgary Pardy already has a loyal fan base even though he has yet to score a single goal.
"I have plenty of company," he said, referring to all the others from his home province, who like him, are plying their trades and demonstrating their work ethic in Alberta
Herald on Bertuzzi's GWG and slump buster:
Quote:
"We actually thought he got the one that Langkow got," said captain Jarome Iginla. "But I guess he didn't. He was close to it.
"What a way to end it. A huge overtime goal. A nice move.Two guys on him, taking him down. Probably would have been a penalty shot, eh, if he didn't score. I think I saw the ref's hand go up. But it was nice to see it go in. That would have been quite suspenseful Everybody on the bench was not only happy for the win, but happy for him."
Sarich from the Blues game appropriately tries singing. Herald.
Quote:
"Cory is a great singer, actually, but he has a very high voice," Conroy said. "Jarome was talking before the game to him, and I think he took some exception to that.
"So Cory went out there and got into a couple of fights. He had a great game, actually."
Insulted Other Member(s)
Don't insult other members; even if they are Canuck fans.
Flame On is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Flame On For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2008, 11:12 AM   #2
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like the camaraderie that you can read about. Iggy taunting Sarich for being a lousy singer so Sarich goes out and kills. Being happy for Bertuzzi, all good signs.

All things considered in the Backlund situation, if Vasteras wants to play that game, thats fine. Despite his poor play hes obviously been seen as good enough for the WJC team. If it comes down to it, theres room for him in the QC.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 11:25 AM   #3
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like Pardy's Vegas advantage.
Quote:
Teams came in, and they were in Vegas. I don't really know what happened, but we won."
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 11:30 AM   #4
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pardy:

Quote:
In 18 games this season, Pardy has one point, his first - and to date, only NHL point - coming with an assist against Florida last week. And he improved his plus/minus rating to plus two with a plus-four performance in a 6-3 victory over the St. Louis Blues Tuesday.

As a Newfoundlander in Calgary Pardy already has a loyal fan base even though he has yet to score a single goal.
Hale Storm 2.0?!?
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 11:32 AM   #5
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I like the camaraderie that you can read about. Iggy taunting Sarich for being a lousy singer so Sarich goes out and kills. Being happy for Bertuzzi, all good signs.

All things considered in the Backlund situation, if Vasteras wants to play that game, thats fine. Despite his poor play hes obviously been seen as good enough for the WJC team. If it comes down to it, theres room for him in the QC.
Kind of reminds me a team we a had about 4 years ago
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 11:33 AM   #6
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
Pardy:

Hale Storm 2.0?!?
Please god no don't start that crap again.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 11:45 AM   #7
OilKiller
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Please god no don't start that crap again.
Oh c'mon ya Grinch...

Maybe every time it will be "Pardy" time before a game to see if he scores a goal. It'll be fun...
OilKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 11:49 AM   #8
Save Us Sutter
I'll get you next time Gadget!

Exp:

That's a great article on Sarich, thanks Flame On.

A lot of people were down on Sarich after last season but he's having a great year this year IMO. Throwing hits, blocking shots, getting his stick in the way. He seems better 1-on-1 as well, not getting beat to the outside as much. Him and Pardy are a GREAT third pairing.

A few of us mentioned at the end of last year that we thought Sarich was going to play much better with the year's experience with the team/system. Nice to see him proving us right. He looks much more comfortable with his positioning defensively and I've even caught him leading the rush a couple times lately. Much more confident then he ever seemed last season.

With him playing up to his contract, along with helping Pardy play (arguably) above his, it makes our defense much more solid from top to bottom and makes Aucoin's contract fit in less painfully.

Last edited by Save Us Sutter; 12-18-2008 at 11:52 AM.
Save Us Sutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 11:51 AM   #9
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilKiller View Post
Oh c'mon ya Grinch...

Maybe every time it will be "Pardy" time before a game to see if he scores a goal. It'll be fun...
It's Pardy time... got your invitation?

tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 11:55 AM   #10
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know its early in Pardy's career but I do find it funny that he has the exact same points per game average as Hale. Sitting at a remarkable .056.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
backlund , bertuzzi , sutter