Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-23-2022, 09:12 PM   #2021
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
I think Canadians and Americans are probably equally addicted to shopping. But the US capital markets have funded a lot more malls. So the shopping is diluted among more places, which makes the Canadian ones more successful on average.

The US has 40% more retail square footage than Canada per person.
https://www.statista.com/statistics/...20respectively.
Thanks, this is what I was getting at. The US just seems to have so much more retail/entertainment than Canada, and this speaks to this.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 10:03 PM   #2022
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
They can pull the development plan though and kill the existing project.
What if the City just requires that Northland Mall add solar panels, I hear that kills projects.
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 01:36 PM   #2023
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wasn't council expecting a report back on the arena in early March?

Anyone have any updates on that?
Old 03-08-2022, 01:42 PM   #2024
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Wasn't council expecting a report back on the arena in early March?

Anyone have any updates on that?
The report was received today, but it was behind closed doors for confidentiality reasons.

After the discussion, Council unanimously approved the formation of an Event Centre Committee...

https://twitter.com/user/status/1501292376958062607
Old 03-08-2022, 01:45 PM   #2025
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

On one hand you would think it's a good time to pause construction given the material shortages and rising costs but on the other hand maybe things just continue to get more expensive going forward.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 01:55 PM   #2026
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
On one hand you would think it's a good time to pause construction given the material shortages and rising costs but on the other hand maybe things just continue to get more expensive going forward.
All of my current projects are pushing to get to tender ASAP so they can lock in price; I'm guessing if prices and availability were forecast to change for the better, that wouldn't be the case.
With the amount of catch up material manufacturers have to do, the prices and shortages will probably extend years after COVID stops having a direct influence on manufacturing and shipping.
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mass_nerder For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2022, 02:25 PM   #2027
Beatle17
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
The report was received today, but it was behind closed doors for confidentiality reasons.

After the discussion, Council unanimously approved the formation of an Event Centre Committee...

Will never get built. Point 4 of their bullet points kills the whole project.

The City has NEVER built a top line sports facility. The McMahon family built the football stadium and the Federal and Provincial governments built the Saddledome for the Olympics. Any renovations done to the Dome, including clean up after the flood were done by the Flames ownership group.
Beatle17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 02:29 PM   #2028
memphusk
Franchise Player

Exp:

To think of the money they would of saved if it was done 5 years ago. Imagine that.
Old 03-08-2022, 02:30 PM   #2029
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
It was never said in the media, but I’m quite sure that 95% of the reason for the cancellation was rising material costs.

I bet numbers were coming in at least $100 million above budget.

If prices come down again in a year or two, it was probably worth it to wait.
Old 03-08-2022, 02:43 PM   #2030
Canadianman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphusk View Post
To think of the money they would of saved if it was done 5 years ago. Imagine that.

Both parties saved hundreds of millions of dollars by not building it.
Canadianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 02:52 PM   #2031
Eric Vail
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadianman View Post
Both parties saved hundreds of millions of dollars by not building it.
I wonder how much in earnings the Flames are losing out on by not having the new arena.
Eric Vail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 04:15 PM   #2032
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post

Okay I'm all for Indian Residential School System reconciliation and social activism but we are building a sports arena here.

Talk about scope/PC principal creep that will ensure this word-salad project commitment to form a new committee to make more word salad will ever result in anything but more wasted tax dollars!
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 04:22 PM   #2033
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass_nerder View Post
All of my current projects are pushing to get to tender ASAP so they can lock in price; I'm guessing if prices and availability were forecast to change for the better, that wouldn't be the case.
With the amount of catch up material manufacturers have to do, the prices and shortages will probably extend years after COVID stops having a direct influence on manufacturing and shipping.
I don't think human behaviour is a good predictor of what will happen in the future regarding prices. Humans are a panicky bunch and make decisions way too much with emotion rather than logic. While it's likely things don't improve in the short-term (a few years), I think it's reasonable to say shortages will slowly end and prices come back down.
Old 03-09-2022, 06:07 AM   #2034
calculoso
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatle17 View Post
Will never get built. Point 4 of their bullet points kills the whole project.

The City has NEVER built a top line sports facility. The McMahon family built the football stadium and the Federal and Provincial governments built the Saddledome for the Olympics. Any renovations done to the Dome, including clean up after the flood were done by the Flames ownership group.

How many top line sports facilities has CSEC built?
calculoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 06:33 AM   #2035
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I see one of two things happening

1) there is a partnership planned to put this on tsutina land or have the tsu Tina be the operators accessing federal and provincial capital for economic projects run by first natiosns. Point four ensures that when seecto g between competing offers it has points in its favour especially if it’s a tsu Tina land project and not downtown. The presence of that requirement to me increases likelihood of this being built

2) this whole process is a show to convince the flames back to the table by showing they are serious as the flames really don’t want a competitor in the market. In that case only the appearance of a credible activity matters.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 06:45 AM   #2036
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphusk View Post
I think that's the reality of any large construction project in that the longer you wait to build it, the more it will cost as you only need to see how arenas and stadium construction costs have escalated over the decades. It would not be surprising that by the time this arena is eventually built it will probably come in at a cost close to what would have been able to build the original Calgary NEXT concept had that been constructed pre-pandemic.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2022, 06:49 AM   #2037
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Another committee eh?

Outstanding progress.

I'm guessing Gondeks idea of finding someone else to put up 300M dollars to build something they would not own in the end....didn't go as planned.

LOL
Old 03-09-2022, 09:19 AM   #2038
The Familia
First Line Centre

Exp:

Agreed. Another useless committee to sit around and accomplish nothing. It makes me angry how CSEC has sat on their hands for the better part of 18 years and have accomplished nothing. They first talked about a new arena around 2004 and the hope was something would be built be 2014 when their lease was up for renewal. Imagine what the cost would have been had they built in 2012 when oil was booming and the province was flush with cash. They could have built a palace for probably 2-300 million.

On a side note, I went to the Flames game against Montreal last week and it was the first time I was in the Saddledome in probably 4 years. For the first time I really noticed its age and lack of upkeep. The exterior silver facade is absolutely filthy and grimy looking. The red elevator towers are all faded (most evident when you see the red panelling that was covered by the old plus 15) and the neon light that rims the roof is burnt out in many spots.

Inside the concourse felt dark and dingy. It was crowded as usual and all the exposed concrete is pretty bleak. We sat in the nosebleeds and the seats are small and uncomfortable. There is no padding left in those things and it feels like you are sitting on plywood. The legroom is atrocious and heaven forbid you or anyone else has to get up and try to walk past everyone. We all know the issues with the washrooms and concession lines so no need to talk about those.

Once upon a time I was in awe of the building. Now, after seeing other arenas, the Saddledome is way past its best before date. Too bad our ownership and city council can't get their heads out of their ass.
William Jennings Trophy - 2006
The Familia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 09:23 AM   #2039
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Okay I'm all for Indian Residential School System reconciliation and social activism but we are building a sports arena here.

Talk about scope/PC principal creep that will ensure this word-salad project commitment to form a new committee to make more word salad will ever result in anything but more wasted tax dollars!
I'm wondering if that point is simply inserted into every committee formation motion, and we're overthinking this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Another committee eh?

Outstanding progress.

I'm guessing Gondeks idea of finding someone else to put up 300M dollars to build something they would not own in the end....didn't go as planned.

LOL
It's almost like the bolded isn't what happened, at all.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 09:27 AM   #2040
RM14
First Line Centre

Exp:

In the meantime, I think they need to upgrade the jumbotron/scoreboard since it'll get at least 5 years use
RM14 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
e=ng , edmonton is no good