Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-19-2010, 12:41 PM   #1
alltherage
Missed the bus

Exp:
Flames Accountability

The Sky is Falling Thread #27, I know, I know... but this is something thats been bothering me for more than just the last game here. Oh, and sorry I didnt realise this was going to be so long.

Iggy - He's been streaky as hell... he basically fell off the face of the earth after Nov, and yet he's still skating (if you can call it that) tons of minutes. Sure, he's had decent efforts here and there, but we pay this guy elite money.

Jokinen - See the above. In some people's minds he's been given more slack because he's not the Captain and he makes less. This guy has been terrible offensively, and I stick to my guns that he's been Sutter's biggest, most glamourous bust.

Dion - What the hell Dion, a minus 2 within 5 minutes of the opening period last night? I was one of Dion's biggest fans, but now that we have so many go-to guys on defence and some serious holes up front, I have seriously been slipping into trade Dion though patterns.

Regehr - He's been out of position, slow, and not himself this year at all. What I like about Robyn is that he seems to be a good leader, he wants to win very badly, and has been the rock on defense for us for years. The problem is, he's not getting any better, and hes not getting any younger.

These guys have been kissing both cheeks of the Fan/Media/Coach's ass all year, spewing exactly what we all want to hear, and then not doing what they need to do. Talk is cheap- but guess what? The Coach has done his share of talking too.

So what? Most of our core is performing like absolute garbage, and Sutter promised accountability. How do you keep them accountable? How do you sit Iggy for a game when he's playing like sh*t? He makes $7M!! You can't sit your captain, thats what french teams do.

I honestly think the best "knee jerk" reaction is to trade Dion. He's young, has upside, is offensive... he's a Jay Bouwmeester only not as good in pretty well any way. At least we'd get something for him. Regehr's not getting us anything worth looking at, Iggy's not going anywhere, and we'd have to PAY another team to take Jokinen.

With Dion gone and LW X Coming in, I think that's a clear message that noone is safe. I think it evens us out on D and gives us a NEEDED legitimate top line.

Sure, we have some depth, but unfortunately we have no "shallow" up front... not even a top line!!!

To me, this is what our team looks like:

Offense:
Two 2nd lines
Lundmark-Jokinen-Iginla
Bourque-Langkow-Dawes

Two 4th lines
Glencross-Conroy-Moss
Prust-Boyd McGratton

Defense:
Two Top Lines
Regehr-Phaneuf
Bouwm-Sarich

One Fourth Line
Gio-Pardy

To me, this is totally simple. Trading Dion adds accountability, balances us, shakes us up, and frees up $6M for a Top Line LW.
alltherage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 12:42 PM   #2
Ren
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

You could've just called this a Trade Dion post and saved me the time.
Ren is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ren For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2010, 12:43 PM   #3
alltherage
Missed the bus

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren View Post
You could've just called this a Trade Dion post and saved me the time.
Trading Dion is the method of bringing accountability in this case. Boo hoo.
Old 01-19-2010, 12:47 PM   #4
The Ditch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Accountability is just a buzz word thrown around it's not like the coaching staff is actually going to sit Iggy or any of our core players because you have to field the best team possible and disinterested Iggy is still better than no Iggy.
The Ditch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Ditch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2010, 12:47 PM   #5
Stanley
First Line Centre

Exp:

Why hasen't anybody mentioned the most obvious solution to the Dion debate? Make him a forward!! Seriously, as if he wouldn't adapt...
Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 12:50 PM   #6
alltherage
Missed the bus

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ditch View Post
Accountability is just a buzz word thrown around it's not like the coaching staff is actually going to sit Iggy or any of our core players because you have to field the best team possible and disinterested Iggy is still better than no Iggy.
Short term, maybe, but if you sit Iggy one game as a message, there's no doubt in my mind he would come out as a MONSTER in the following game. Noone likes to be embarrassed. That's what tends to bring accountability.

We all know he can be better... yet he plays at about 50% of his level. Then we, the fans, pay him 100% of his paycheck.

I understand he can't be 110% every night, but I think his lowest should be 85% on the worst day.
Old 01-19-2010, 12:51 PM   #7
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jokinen has grown on me actually. Yeah, he's a bust when you look at the points per cap ratio, but at this point I don't care about that very much. He tries, and I like that. He's defensively responsible, I like that too. The guy also has hit the post or the crossbar way more than he has scored goals this season, which is partly just rotten luck.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 12:51 PM   #8
Leon
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don't like the trade Dion aspect of the OP because we all know deep down he isn't going anywhere, at all.

I do however feel the accountability aspect has been looked over by coaching staff. This was something that was stressed in the pre-season and certainly hasn't come to light. Hasn't Sjostrom been the only fairly regular healthy scratch of late? I miss his speed and feel he has value on the fourth line but there really has to be some big names held accountable for their awful play.

''The Phaneuf - Regehr pairing reminds me a lot of when I'm having sex with a new partner'' -malcomk14
''Not only is he a good player, but I enjoy his company'' -Pierre Mcguire on Phaneuf

"I'm only watching now for the chance to see brief close-ups of White's moustache." - rockstar
</br>
Leon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 01:08 PM   #9
Discoste
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by noel View Post
....there really has to be some big names held accountable for their awful play.
I wish we could sit the 15 mil+ in the pressbox, but do I want to pay for that? Then again, last season we paid to see only 17 or so players suit up for a couple of games.
Discoste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 01:51 PM   #10
Reign of Fire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Not another Trade Dion thread....he's not going to be traded!!!
Reign of Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 02:20 PM   #11
tripin_billie
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley View Post
Why hasen't anybody mentioned the most obvious solution to the Dion debate? Make him a forward!! Seriously, as if he wouldn't adapt...
That is actually one of the only interesting things I have read on CP in a while. I don't know how I think about it, but at least it has got me thinking.

Thanks (I'm out of them in the system)
tripin_billie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 07:21 PM   #12
Ro
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

OMG, like why do we need another thread about trades and Phaneuf? Posts like this are stupid and bringing us down, and need to stop before all the smart and sexy people on CP leave.

Ro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ro For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2010, 07:28 PM   #13
Ren
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro View Post
OMG, like why do we need another thread about trades and Phaneuf? Posts like this are stupid and bringing us down, and need to stop before all the smart and sexy people on CP leave.

Don't worry, I'm not going anywhere.
Ren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 07:38 PM   #14
alltherage
Missed the bus

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro View Post

Fantastic.
Old 01-19-2010, 07:56 PM   #15
Smell My Finger
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

so many of these threads are just crossovers of other topics that are the same thing.
Smell My Finger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 09:04 PM   #16
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Said it before and I'll say it again. Robyn Regher is gone by the end of the trade deadline. Guarenteed.

So far, this is the oldest I've been.
Traditional_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
accountability , core , phaneuf , sutter , trade