Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2022, 12:48 PM   #1721
Bankai
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenaciousC View Post
I think it’s clear that Johnny had a couple side pieces in Calgary before Meredith moved out here and she soured on the city because of it and wanted to get him away at first opportunity
Wtf? Got sources for this? Stop talking out your ass if you don't.
Bankai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 12:50 PM   #1722
Poison
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I think it’s clear that Johnny had a couple side pieces in Calgary before Meredith moved out here and she soured on the city because of it and wanted to get him away at first opportunity
Johnny does not look like a side piece kinda guy at all.
Like. At. All.
Poison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 12:50 PM   #1723
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goriders View Post
Watched Johnny’s videos with Columbus on TSN.

MEH. It really sucks. But it’s his right to do what he thinks is best for himself and his family. He earned that right.

Up to the Flames to be prepared for that decision I guess. Definitely will not be fixed via UFAs at this point. Might not be able to be replaced.
they won't replace Gaudreau...they could certainly be a more deep and playoff ready team with the right moves
Old 07-14-2022, 12:51 PM   #1724
Wolfman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GullFoss View Post
It's the wife.
Thanks Yoko
Old 07-14-2022, 12:52 PM   #1725
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
lol. If Markstrom could have stopped a beachball we would have beat them in 4 or 5 games in the playoffs.

They still have no D. Without Goodrow we will beat them in 6 if Marky can figure it out.
Lets not pretend Mike Smith wasn’t giving up muffins and 100 footers either. He was better than Markstrom without a doubt, but Campbell does looks to be a lot less shaky than Smith.

Their D looks weak, but they somehow handled the Flames’ forecheck quite well. So I’ll give them credit there. Regardless, the Flames didn’t just lose because of Markstrom. He was a major factor, but the team’s inability to contain McDavid-Draisaitl-Kane and to a lesser extent Hyman and RNH was the real reason the team lost.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 12:52 PM   #1726
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
they won't replace Gaudreau...they could certainly be a more deep and playoff ready team with the right moves
It will take time, and the right moves. Understandably people want immediate gratification, but we are going to have to sit in the stink of this for a while.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 12:52 PM   #1727
robertsfanatic
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
No, I hate the Oilers.

But I’m also willing to look at things objectively here, I just don’t see how the Flames could realistically beat a prime McDavid and Draisaitl going forward. When they lined up together with Kane, they looked unstoppable. Kane’s been a Flame killer for a while, so him re-signing with the Oilers is not a good thing for the Flames.
sorry i must have missed it earlier in the thread but i couldn't understand why the JG thread turned into an oilers comparison.

and they might be better or they could be terrible just as easily.
Old 07-14-2022, 12:53 PM   #1728
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I can understand taking the money, I can understand taking a discount to play at home. But this doesn't seem to be either. I have to think that Gaudreau's camp completely misplayed the whole situation, because absolutely nothing about this seems optimal for a guy who was in a spot to at least get the best from something.

Left a lot of money on the table. Moved closer to home but not close to home. But on top of all that if the structure of the deal is as reported, it makes even less sense. Take a discount and you should be able to dictate about as many parts you want. Front loaded, signing bonuses, better trade/movement clauses to ensure as much control as possible, getting as much money early as possible to make any decisions down the line easier but also making any trades near the end more manageable for teams when it comes to dealing with the money aspect. So giving up money and flexibility while seemingly having to settle on location leaves me thinking that they just messed up. How could this be the best deal for a player like this?

I have to think that they thought offers would be higher by walking away from the Flames and their 8 year deal. That somebody was going to be offering in the $10.5-11M range as well, but the offer and/or location never came. That the best that was left was the Columbus deal (and at that point it's 'only $750K for seven year deals as the difference between a Calgary offer, in which case the discount for location makes more sense, but only because the gamble for money didn't pay out).

It seems like a case study in failing to maximize your value during a negotiation.
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Roughneck For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2022, 12:53 PM   #1729
tony-soprano
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GullFoss View Post
It's the wife.
Always is..seen this story many times.
tony-soprano is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tony-soprano For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2022, 12:54 PM   #1730
tony-soprano
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Lol, I even remember Marian Gaborik had a few side pieces out here when he played for the Wild.
tony-soprano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 12:55 PM   #1731
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poison View Post
Johnny does not look like a side piece kinda guy at all.
Like. At. All.
Monahan is his side piece lol
Bonded is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Bonded For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2022, 12:55 PM   #1732
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Because of Stampede etc. I have not listened at all to 960 this week.

Have the guys on the radio provided any insight at all?
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 12:55 PM   #1733
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
lol. If Markstrom could have stopped a beachball we would have beat them in 4 or 5 games in the playoffs.
Even with Markstrom not playing his best had they stuck to their gameplan that gave them success all year and not get sucked into playing pond hockey they could have handled them. Even with Tanev out.

Chokes happen and they choked against the Oilers.
Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Inferno For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2022, 12:55 PM   #1734
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
I agree. Johnny was the best Flame player I have seen outside of Iginla. But I never felt he was going to win us a championship. He’s not built for playoff hockey.

If they could replace his output with two cheaper physical players might set them up to compete better come the post season.

Still think going after JT Miller and Kadri would be a good idea. Doubt they will get either.
Goriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 12:56 PM   #1735
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertsfanatic View Post
sorry i must have missed it earlier in the thread but i couldn't understand why the JG thread turned into an oilers comparison.

and they might be better or they could be terrible just as easily.
I don’t know, I think I made the mistake of saying losing Johnny might be a blessing in disguise because of the Oilers’ window to win now and I probably should’ve known it would trigger a landslide.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Classic_Sniper For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2022, 12:56 PM   #1736
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
See, again, this is what’s weird to me, if he goes to the Islanders, nobody bats an eye, but he chooses Columbus and that’s not okay. I don’t get it, he’s still out east, in the same time zone as his family and they’re still a long drive away regardless if it was Nassau County or Columbus. The only city that would’ve been extremely close in proximity was Philadelphia, but they made no offer.

In the end, Calgary was never an option anyway. It wasn’t like, Calgary vs Columbus. It was, do I live in NJ or Long Island or Columbus and he chose the latter. It’s kind of like Travis Hamonic only wanting to play in Western Canada. Vancouver isn’t really that close to Manitoba, but it’s still Western Canada. Johnny did the same thing, he wanted to play out east and now he is. It’s not even that bad, like driving from Saskatoon to Calgary. 6 or 7 hours, my friend does it all the time.
The second bold is the answer to the first bold. People are upset because he pretended that Calgary WAS an option, when it appears that it really wasn't.

No one is mad he chose Columbus, they are mad at how his team handled the process. (or they are mad at how the Flames handled the process, or both, but it has nothing to do with Columbus)
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2022, 12:57 PM   #1737
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is there an NCAA American factor, like there is a Russian factor?
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2022, 12:57 PM   #1738
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
Even with Markstrom not playing his best had they stuck to their gameplan that gave them success all year and not get sucked into playing pond hockey they could have handled them. Even with Tanev out.

Chokes happen and they choked against the Oilers.
Yeah, this. Tanev was a big deal. Maybe bigger than Markstrom, who was actually worst in the game they won.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 12:57 PM   #1739
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony-soprano View Post
Always is..seen this story many times.
Pronger
Goriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 12:58 PM   #1740
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
Is there an NCAA American factor, like there is a Russian factor?
If there is it’s funny because the Flames were pioneers in mining NCAA back in the 80s
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
incels outing themselves